Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Age appropiate music for teenagers
ashade75
Posted: Nov 16 2005, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

My Daughter has asked for a variety of cd's for christmas. Some of them I am familiar with and some not. How do I screen the music to be sure it is age appropriate, short of listening to every song??? I know some music comes edited, but it isn't only the cuss words I am worried about but the message of the songs. For instance I was driving in the car the other day and I heard a song on the radio that said, "I don't like the drugs, the drugs like me??"

Any suggestions would help.

--------------------
user posted image user posted image user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail PosterICQ
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Nov 16 2005, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

Short of listening to every song, it's not easy to do. You could try going to the singer's website to get a "feel" for the kind of music that it is. Or maybe look up the lyrics to the songs online? Or check out the reviews of the cd?
dunno.gif
PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted: Nov 16 2005, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

Just tell us the names and stuff maybe we can help.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo

redchief
Posted: Nov 16 2005, 07:35 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

Like with movies and television, music albums are required to rate their content for appropriate age and also to describe offensive content. Read the jackets of the CD's... Look closely though, the print tends to be small and somewhat obscure. Shame we don't have a V-Chip for music.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
ashade75
Posted: Nov 17 2005, 06:31 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 6

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I will definitely check out the labels and look up the lyrics on the website.

It is too bad we don't have a v chip for music (that would be a really good idea)

--------------------
user posted image user posted image user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail PosterICQ
ready4looneybin
Posted: Nov 17 2005, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2,808

Just a few pages that I go to for lyrics:

Get Lyrics
Hitboy's Lyric Site
Leo's Lyrics
Leonie's Lyrics
Lyric's World

If you need a HUGE laugh, check out: Kiss This Guy's Misheard Lyric's

Due to the law [here in Canada anyway], ANY music that is offensive in ANY way, violence, language, etc, HAS to come with a warning label.

Also, if you're unsure, if you were to go to say HMV, ask the clerks, I'll bet they'll know. I haven't been able to ask them a question yet that they couldn't answer smile.gif

As Happymom stated, yeah, post a list of the groups your DD wants. I have an extremely wide and diverse passion for music. I love everything except rap and country, so I won't be able to help you there, but my personal music taste runs from Nine Inch Nails to the Sex Pistols to darn near everything from the 80's to Johann Sebastian Bach blush.gif
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0509 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]