Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> FDA warning about vaccine
jcc64
Posted: Feb 17 2008, 03:49 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 108

This must be a newer vaccine, my kids haven't had it, and I don't think it's yet on the routine vax schedule, though I'm sure not for lack of trying...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23183636/from/ET/

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Feb 17 2008, 04:11 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

for one thing WHY would you sign your newborn up for a study like that, 2 why get a rotovirus vaccine???

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Feb 17 2008, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

My Dr. mentioned the rotavirus vaccine to us last year after Madison had it twice in 3 months, but she mentioned it only to warn us not to listen to people who suggested it - she said it was new and still experimental and not generally recommended yet.
PMEmail Poster

3xsthefun
Posted: Feb 17 2008, 05:06 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 227

I have never heard of it.

--------------------
Tina wife to Rob (Sept. 25, 1999)
mommy to Kaitlynn (11), Maegan (7) & Ryan (3.5)
PMMSN
Kentuckychick
Posted: Feb 17 2008, 05:13 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,085

I think it is on the routine vax schedule here and has been for at least a year... Caydence has had them dry.gif

The reason they came up with the shot is because rotovirus is and has been the one of the leading causes in hospitalization in young children and can be very dangerous. I think the best thing would be for parents to be more educated and aware of the early signs of dehydration and how to deal with it.

--------------------
~Rachel~ Godmommy to;Connor (September '04) & Caydence (August '06)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Feb 17 2008, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

What is an oral vaccine? I've never heard of that. Nonetheless, this one reminds me of the latest hep vaccine they tried to talk me into with Macie's last set of shots...one of the few I feel is strictly for the purpose of drug companies padding their pockets while trying to appear as though they're doing something new and exciting dry.gif
PMEmail Poster
punkeemunkee'smom
Posted: Feb 17 2008, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

It is a wonderful life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,162

Schedule

This is the schedule off the CDC website. The rotavirus is on there...I have heard about these complications for a few years...Very VERY scary what they hide from us dry.gif

This post has been edited by punkeemunkee'smom on Feb 17 2008, 06:31 PM

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
baby
baby development
"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life.
The Administrators and Moderators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions or offensive posts to the Moderators by using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Kentuckychick
Posted: Feb 17 2008, 07:13 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,085

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Feb 17 2008, 05:26 PM)
What is an oral vaccine? I've never heard of that. Nonetheless, this one reminds me of the latest hep vaccine they tried to talk me into with Macie's last set of shots...one of the few I feel is strictly for the purpose of drug companies padding their pockets while trying to appear as though they're doing something new and exciting dry.gif

Oops... I realized I said a shot and it's the oral vaccine. From what I've heard they just squirt it in the child's mouth -- blech.

They've also had some pretty serious complications in some children where the intestines have twisted.

--------------------
~Rachel~ Godmommy to;Connor (September '04) & Caydence (August '06)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Feb 18 2008, 04:34 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 17,840

ITA with Kentuckychick that parents need to be taught how to recognize and treat the disease rather than keep vaxing our kids for every disease that comes along.

It's also made from fetal bovine (cow) serum, among other ingredients.

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circul...rotateq_ppi.pdf

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
Mom to Logan, Quentin, Ethan, Hannah, Kayla, & Abigail!
PM
jcc64
Posted: Feb 18 2008, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Oral vaccines are LIVE vaccines that are indeed squirted right into the child's mouth. It's how my older 2 boys received their polio vaxes years back. Dh, who was born in another country and we weren't sure he had been vaxed for polio, was not allowed to change diapers after that vax b/c it was "live" in the baby's body and it was theoretically possible that he could contract it by changing diapers.
Rotavirus is scary, but we cannot and should not vaccinate for every single childhood illness. How are they ever going to build up any natural immunities if we just keep pumping them full of alien chemicals????

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0256 ]   [ 13 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]