Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Breastfeeding & Soaps ect, Question on your staying clean and BF
KatieLeigh79
Posted: Mar 29 2003, 01:43 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

I have been reading either some really bad books and magazines or just running into advice that makes me wonder about everything... Today I heard that when you breast feed you can't use your normal bath soap, either have to buy special that the baby won't be turned off by the smell/taste etc or not use soap at all when you wash up. I also heard that they don't like deoderant or perfume either... As much as i really want to give this the best chance as I possibly can Im not sure I could handle not being able to use soap & what not throughout the day ... is this even true or should I just go find new sources of info?

TIA
~Katie
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 29 2003, 01:49 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

First of all, let me start by saying that I am no expert. I am a first time Mommy. And, Ashley and I have done alright with BF so far. (6 months-- yeah!)

I read that about using soap too...but I thought that was gross! I use soap, but I just make sure I rinse extremely well! And, we've had no problems. As far as deodorant, I haven't given that up either. And, when I am rocking Ashley, she loves to snuggle and bury her face in my armpit of my shirt. haha. So, I haven't given up any hygene products and we are doing ok. There may be some of the experts here that say I am doing it all wrong and they would know better than I! But, it's worked for us ok thus far!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
supermom
Posted: Mar 29 2003, 06:20 PM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

I never changed my soap, or stopped using deoderant or anything else - I watched where I sprayed my perfume so as to be careful not to get any close to where their mouths would be, but other than that the only other thing that I did was to use some lanolin (there is a special stuff that I can't recall the name right now, but if you are interested I'll look) during the first few weeks before and after I started BF. It helped alot with the tenderness and feeling of the nipples.

I don't consider myself an expert, but I will certainly help you out with anything that I have found that worked for me. I BF all four of mine, and working on BF number 5 until they all self-weaned.

Please feel free to ask any questions - no question is silly, and we're here to help!

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN

+Zemirah+
Posted: Mar 29 2003, 07:10 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 51

I just wanted to mention that actually your nipples do not need to be washed with soap at all, but only gentle washing with fresh water and washrag. The rest of the breast is fine to wash with soap, and I haven't heard of any IRL cases of baby being too turned off by the smell of the soap to nurse (though I have heard the caution before many times too). Deodorant, same way, though I do try to use a not-to-perfumy deodorant while nursing and I don't spray perfume anywhere on my upper body at all in the first month or so, so baby will strongly connect with my own natural clean scent -- breast milk actually has a slight "smell" that attracts baby and in studies, babies have recognized their own mother's milk from that of other women's -- I don't remember specs now...) But I wanted to say too that the nipples secrete a substance which keeps them clean in very much the same manner as the function of vaginal fluid that keeps the vagina clean so that douching is unnecessary. Soaps can really dry the nipples and cause them to crack and bleed, increase the likelyhood of infection, etc.

--------------------
Blessings,
Zem

Loving all our many babies... 6 born into my arms and 4 born into Heaven from my womb
PM
madaise
Posted: Mar 29 2003, 08:00 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 23

ummm... yeah.. what everyone else said. Just adding "I agree" to the list. No new soap here, don't wash the nipples, and I still wear deodorant when I feel the need.

--------------------
Judi
momma to Cas, Em, Tege, Jordan & Ry
HomeIsCool
Posted: Mar 29 2003, 09:00 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 30

On the soap .... you just need to be careful and try to keep the soap off of your nipples ... it can cause them to become dry ... and dry, cracked nipples are NOT fun to deal with.

As for deodorant and perfumes ... you can still use what you want. Sometimes a baby might rebel if you switch a lot ... they get used to how you SMELL and if you smell different, they may have a harder time settling down to nurse.

One thing that is recommended when a mom needs to be separated from her baby and baby doesn't really want the bottle is to wrap baby in a nightshirt or tshirt of moms that is dirty so he can be comforted by her familiar smell. Have heard of mom wearing a daddy shirt a few times and then daddy wearing it, too.

Barbara
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 30 2003, 03:59 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Have heard of mom wearing a daddy shirt a few times and then daddy wearing it, too.
Hmm, interesting.

I sure am glad I know you ladies, I learn something new everyday! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

supermom
Posted: Apr 1 2003, 07:43 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

I have also heard of people using a blanket that they have sprayed (ever so lightly) and let dry with the perfume they usually wear so that the baby smells "them" and is comforted also. Personally, I've never tried it, but some claim it works for them.

I am usually flexible, if one thing doesn't work, then try something else til you find something that does!

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
dhoppygirl
  Posted: Apr 1 2003, 11:01 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 52

I agree with the above posts about soap and deo...I use soap, but not a lot and I rinse well...and thought I would add one side comment. I work out (play volleyball, run, etc) and thought that I would have to shower and wash the sweat off before bf, but Peyton was really fussy one time, so I fed him right after I worked out and the sweat didn't bother him at all...so just a side FYI note!!

Dawn

--------------------
Dawn
Mom to Peyton 9/23/2002, Sydney 3/30/2004 and Connor 11/15/2005
PMEmail PosterYahoo
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 3 2003, 05:24 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

so I fed him right after I worked out and the sweat didn't bother him at all
I read that your body has a way of keeping the milk sanitary ... can't remember how or what it does. But, the article said that if you are concerned you can express the first little bit of milk before feeding your baby after excercise, but there is no need to. I can't remember the source, I just remember reading that.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0320 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]