Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Back from the allergist, bad news
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Jan 5 2007, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,474

So they tested for about 10+ allergies and he had a SEVERE reaction to ALL the nuts, tree nuts and peanuts. He was also allergic to grapes and lemons! bawling.gif So the doctor prescribed an epi-pen and I have to order one of those bracelets. I'm so worried you guys....I can't relax! growl.gif I have this achy feeling at the bottom of my stomach just thinking about what can happen. I hate for my little boy to have to go through life worried all the time. I've heard that most schools are pretty pro-active these days as far as food allergies go, but it still scares me to death! sad.gif DH loves nuts...but the doctor said that even kissing someone that had recently eaten nuts can bring on a reaction. So I just went through our pantry and threw a lot away. And now I have to read ALL labels and get familiar with ingredients that I normally wouldn't think twice about! They gave this huge packet of information, DVD to watch and even an illustrated book for Wil! It makes me so sad...I know I'm being overly dramatic right now...but my heart really hurts for the little guy! The doctor said it was a big deal and that we were lucky that our trip to the ER wasn't worse. bawling.gif

We go back in a month to do another round of tests. This time for dairy and shellfish..also some meat products like chicken. I need lots of prayers right now! I guess just a part of me is feeling like this is my fault...Maybe I fed him solids too early or maybe I ate nuts while I was PG or nursing. unsure.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Jan 5 2007, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Oh Rae - I am sur eyou are worried sick right now - but he is ok and you and the whole family will learn to deal with it - I know there are other people that can offer better advice, but follow drs orders and he will be ok.....I am so sorry about Baby Wil!!!

hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
amynicole21
Posted: Jan 5 2007, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

Oh man, that is really hard news to take! It is not your fault, Rae. hug.gif Kids often grow out of allergies also - it's just going to be a struggle in the beginning. Hang in there.

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo

MommyToAshley
Posted: Jan 5 2007, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I am sure that isn't the news you wanted to hear. hug.gif I can understand how you feel... I would be a little frightened myself. But, knowledge is power. It sounds like you are taking all the steps to learn everything about the allergies and that should bring you some comfort. You will know what to avoid and what to do if there is an incident.

Don't blame yourself. I read in a medical mag at that docs office that it is just a myth about eating nuts or peanut butter during PG. Allergies are just something our kids have, just like they have blue eyes. You did nothing wrong.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
amymom
Posted: Jan 5 2007, 06:54 PM
Quote Post

The kids!!

Member No.: 1,308

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Jan 5 2007, 09:36 PM)
I am sure that isn't the news you wanted to hear.  hug.gif I can understand how you feel...  I would be a little frightened myself.  But, knowledge is power.  It sounds like you are taking all the steps to learn everything about the allergies and that should bring you some comfort.  You will know what to avoid and what to do if there is an incident.

Don't blame yourself. I read in a medical mag at that docs office that it is just a myth about eating nuts or peanut butter during PG.  Allergies are just something our kids have, just like they have blue eyes.  You did nothing wrong.

Dee Dee said it all very well. There is no corrolation between what you ate and his allergy. You could not have forseen this. Please do not blame yourself. I say that but beat myself up everyday for my dd living in pain from her trouble with lactose and not finding it out earlier.

Rae, I know how worried and concerned you are. Schools are more proactive AND you are an involved parent, you will follow up on Wil and be sure he does well. Now that you have some knowledge of his allergies and are gaining more, you will find yourself with a healthier child. hug.gif hug.gif

Children do grow out of / or a better explanation is that they develop a system that can tolerate SOME allergies. My son had an allergy to cats. He was tested with the allergist etc. With staying away from them he became healthier and did really well. As a teenager we have discovered that he is no longer allergic to cats. It still amazes me, given just a few years ago, he couldn't sit next to a person who had just petted a cat. I do not know if your Wil will have as good luck as my Billy did but their names are the same so maybe biggrin.gif

--------------------

Anne Marie
Mom to Billy & Mary Beth
Wife to Lee

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Jan 6 2007, 06:37 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

QUOTE (amymom @ Jan 5 2007, 09:54 PM)
I do not know if your Wil will have as good luck as my Billy did but their names are the same so maybe biggrin.gif

smile.gif hug.gif smile.gif hug.gif That really brought a smile to my face! I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes from everyones good advice and nice words...THANK YOU! I know that I shouldn't blame myself, but it's hard not thinking of all the ways I could have maybe prevented this from happening. I keep telling myself "it could be worse Rae, so don't beat yourself up"...but you know, it's hard thinking of how difficult it will be for him at school and birthday parties.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Jan 6 2007, 06:59 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

QUOTE (mysweetpeasWil&Wes @ Jan 5 2007, 07:50 PM)
I've heard that most schools are pretty pro-active these days as far as food allergies go, but it still scares me to death!

I'm so sorry to hear this

But we have 2 students in our school that have the same problem with nuts
We have 2 tables clearly marked peanut free tables
As our job in the kitchen we have to order everything peanut free peanut free oil which surprised us most was their was not much out there. But we still have to check everything.

Make sure you tell the school nurse and the school admin. a Dr note is a must.

Before these children got to grade school they went to a local Nursery school and she banned peanut anything from coming into the school
So ppl. are very understanding.

I think the worst your going to have a bad time with is going out to eat bc you have to worry about cross contamination.

If you need more info let me know

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Jan 6 2007, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

hug.gif Poor Wil!! But certainly it wasn't your fault, and being so young there is definately a good chance he will grow out of it.
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jan 6 2007, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

hug.gif hug.gif Oh Rae I'm sorry! That's a lot to have to worry about. sad.gif Poor Wil! hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
DansMom
Posted: Jan 6 2007, 07:41 AM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Member No.: 223

Oh Rae, I know how you feel!!! Do not beat yourself up for freaking out. It's a huge adjustment for the whole family to deal with food allergies, and nuts are the most scary allergies to think about when it comes to your precious boy---believe me, you're having the normal loving mom reaction. My words of reassurance are these: There is so much more awareness and caution in the schools, especially with peanuts and tree nuts. After a year of figuring this out and seeing that with some precautions, Wil is enjoying a normal childhood, you'll feel better and be an old pro giving others advice and reassurance. I, too, blamed myself for Daniel's food allergies---but if you look at the huge increase in allergies in the US, along with exponential increases in autism, asthma, juvenile diabetes and immune disorders of every type, this is not about anything we did individually as moms. There is something environmental going on that hasn't been pinpointed---in my opinion.

The hardest part, diet-wise, is reading those ingredient lists and looking for the hidden stuff. Do avoid the "same equipment" crackers and such---Daniel's little friend Lucy had her nut reaction go up over a year's time, probably because they didn't avoid those. We have two peanut/treenut allergic kids (one also allergic to corn) in our preschool 3yo class---as soon as their snack list gets put together for second semester, I'll send you what they've got listed. I know you're gutsy, so you won't mind grilling your friends with how they've prepared something (did you use peanut oil? Can I see the ingredients of a/b/c?) They will understand. I always have alternate food for Daniel in his bag when we go to parties.

Support groups can really help, especially in the beginning when you're feeling your way---i-village has a decent allergy forum for parents where you can share ideas, support and recipes. I don't have the link here at home---but you can probably google to find it. There may even be a local group the allergist can direct you to. Here in Ann Arbor there's one that meets monthly.

Hugs, and hang in there
hug.gif Wil is going to be okay, and will learn to avoid those things he can't eat.

--------------------
Tracy, George and Daniel (11/25/02)
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
ZandersMama
Posted: Jan 6 2007, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

Jesus answers knee mail

Member No.: 1,776

hug.gif so sorry, that must be scary, but you are strong. hug.gif

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMSN
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jan 6 2007, 10:46 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

Rae, I am sorry to hear that he tested positive. I do know how you feel because we are going thru the exact same thing. I also had just ordered and recieved the epi pen, and its huge. I keep thinking how would I ever use this on my little baby...
but you can if you need too, and it comes with a practice pen to use and to show all the other in your life to use...
I also go a great book on line at amazon.com called peanut allergies, it was so helpful about web sites to use and also lists of foods that have peanuts that you wouldnt even know, like whistchester sauce....(sp?)
the web site FANN sends you emails daily on foods that have been recalled due to improper labeling, that do contain peanuts or crosscontaminates that were not listed...
also when you order your epi pen make sure you ask for one that has a one yr experation date on it, because you have to renew it yearly and they are expensive. my pharmancy attempted to give me a hard time about that, but i asked them to call the manufacturuer and they did and I had it in a day.

i will send you all the info I have found so far. It is scarey. and you have to be the proactive one, kids dont understand. I had to take all the peanuts and other foods away from my older son, because we were concerned he might leave some on his hands or kiss the baby and cause a reaction.
also the grcoery store has bulk items and if the lids or peanuts spill onto the floor we can not go in that isle at all.

I have learned that there are a lot of kids out there with this allergy now, and places are more careful. it is something the kids can learn to live with.

research and talking to other moms is what is helping me. please feel free to pm anytime.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jan 6 2007, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

I am sure seeing the allergist you do have these, but do you have the website to the epi pen and the food allergy network? there is also a place on line you can order chocolates and cake mixes and other yummy treats for parties with no crosscontamination called cherrybrookfarms.com
I use this stuff for preschool parties..

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

Jamison'smama
Posted: Jan 6 2007, 01:05 PM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Member No.: 214

Just sending hugs and support. I have a very good friend whose son is very allergic. I posted about him before--his allergies are numerous and difficult with peanut being the worst. It is very common these days to ask for ingredient lists in restaurants and even the deli at the grocery store. If you go on a lot of the peanut allergy websites much of the work is done. It is wonderful these days that the package lables must contain the peanut warning. It is scary and I see how my friend has struggled but you become an old pro very fast. She ordered the no peanut patches for her son's backpack and her son's preschool teachers are aware and great.

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

luvbug00
Posted: Jan 6 2007, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

Rae he will be fine. Mya had her epi and allergies to the nuts and apples and a long list of stuff. just do what your doing by weeding the "bad" foods out of the house. and make sure everyone he comes in contact with knows. Schools are also getting better at making all the kids with allergies can have as normal a school experience possible. many hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 6 2007, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

hug.gif
PM
CantWait
Posted: Jan 7 2007, 09:40 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

I'm so sorry Rae. I know what a PITA it can be dealing with peanut allergies and it wasn't even my kid that had it. It'll take some getting use to, but it'll come naturally before you know it. hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 8 2007, 03:00 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

Rae, is not your fault. hug.gif I know it is bad news, but at least you found out this way, and not after he had a really bad severe reaction to something. hug.gif
PM
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jan 8 2007, 06:37 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

hug.gif to both of you. One of my nephews has nut allergies. So when ever they will be around I am very carful not to serve anythign with nuts. Same for birthday parties since I dont know if kids have these allergies I dont give out nut related goodies. once you get the knowlage down it really wont be that bad.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
lisar
Posted: Jan 9 2007, 06:24 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

I dont know what to say. Dont blam yourself for this. And I am sure you will adjust. It will become part of your lifestyle. lots of hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0164 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]