Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Tamiflu - patient monitoring, from FDA Medwatch today
redchief
Posted: Nov 14 2006, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

Tamiflu (oseltamivir phosphate)

Audience: Pediatric and primary care healthcare professionals and patients
[Posted 11/13/2006] Roche and FDA notified healthcare professionals of revisions to the PRECAUTIONS/Neuropsychiatric Events and Patient Information sections of the prescribing information for Tamiflu, indicated for the treatment of uncomplicated acute illness due to influenza infection in patients 1 year and older who have been symptomatic for no more than 2 days and for the prophylaxis of influenza in patients 1 year and older.There have been postmarketing reports (mostly from Japan) of self-injury and delirium with the use of Tamiflu in patients with influenza. People with the flu, particularly children, may be at an increased risk of self-injury and confusion shortly after taking Tamiflu and should be closely monitored for signs of unusual behavior. A healthcare professional should be contacted immediately if the patient taking Tamiflu shows any signs of unusual behavior.

This link for the Medwatch release

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
lisar
Posted: Nov 14 2006, 09:59 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,760

I saw that. But a friend of mine sent this to me. I have called the dr to find out if that is the same one my kids got. ( I dont know honestly)

http://www.rthk.org.hk/rthk/news/englishne..._56_268665.html
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Nov 14 2006, 11:08 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

Tamiflu is routinely prescribed for influenza and is indeed effective. It is the only treatment known to work against some strains of bird flu. Whenever I post a Medwatch alert, it is after considering the relevance to this board and it's readers. Since the concern is not whether to prescribe it, but to warn against self-destructive behaviors observed in some (read "some") children while taking the medication. That information is useful in that parents need to be aware of this concern. Hopefully the behaviors referenced won't happen to any of our kids who take it, but all should be aware of the possibility. smile.gif

ETFix grammar

This post has been edited by redchief on Nov 14 2006, 11:09 AM

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0072 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]