Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Co-sleeping with teenagers
mike68
Posted: May 29 2005, 05:39 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,943

Hi, I am in a strange situation at the moment.

A woman I am dating, a single mom who is 36, co-sleeps with her 14 year old son.

I find this to be pretty strange, among many other aspects of their relationship.

I was wondering if anyone else here finds this to be a little strange.

btw Hi, to everyone. This is my first post here.
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: May 29 2005, 06:25 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Hi and welcome!

Well, when yousay co-sleep do you mean EVERY night?

I don't have a teenager and have never really slept with my son, so I can't really say for sure............but yeah I think it is a bit odd........................

SOrry I am not much help.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
mom2tripp
Posted: May 29 2005, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

My little man

Member No.: 1,846

I def agree with Jen---it's a bit odd for him to be that old and for them to be co-sleeping--especially if it is everynight

WELCOME

--------------------

PMEmail Poster

paradisemommy
Posted: May 29 2005, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Brother/Sister Love :)

Member No.: 142

it definitely is odd - i'm all for co-sleeping but a 14 year old imo is a bit big to be doing that with. i think little boys are just too curious at that age to be able to do that with. have you tried talking to her and asking her about it??

--------------------
May your troubles be less,
your blessings be more
and nothing but happiness
come through your door.
PMEmail Poster
mike68
Posted: May 29 2005, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Hi, and thanks for the replies.

Yes, it is every night.

I find it disturbing, considering he is sexually active himself.

He is almost overly affectionate with his mother as well. Lying on top of her on the couch and kissing her neck repeatedly.

He will also phone her cell repeatedly if he needs anything when they are separated, as she caters to his every need.

I am thinking it would be best if I don't pursue our relationship any further at this point.

Thanks again

This post has been edited by mike68 on May 29 2005, 06:48 PM
PMEmail Poster
paradisemommy
Posted: May 29 2005, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

Brother/Sister Love :)

Member No.: 142

okay now it's just getting really creepy with all those details you just added - i'm thinking you may be right for moving on...

btw..welcome wavey.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
May your troubles be less,
your blessings be more
and nothing but happiness
come through your door.
PMEmail Poster
mike68
Posted: May 29 2005, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

Thanks for the welcome.

Is it normal for a 14 year old boy to want to spend his day with his mother everday? Expecting her to drive him around all day doing this and that, while driving his friends around as well? I am talking hundreds of kilometers as well, as they live out of town and his friends are quite far away. His whole day revolves around her catering to his needs. I think she is actually afraid of his reaction if she tells him to leave her bed. I might be wrong on that one though. She talks to him as if he were a little child some of the time as well. Using a voice you would use to talk to a small child.

I know, that for me, at that age, the last people I wanted to be with were my mom and dad. lol

This post has been edited by mike68 on May 29 2005, 07:00 PM
PMEmail Poster
mom2tripp
Posted: May 29 2005, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

My little man

Member No.: 1,846

Wow, totally not right in my opinion, sounds like something else may be going on there---I'm no expert but it just doesn't sound right to me! Of course that is just my own opinion, if you care about this woman I would seriously have a talk with her and find out exactly what is going on--GOOD LUCK TO YOU

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
ferocity302
Posted: May 29 2005, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,230

I have a 14 year old son.......... Um....... nope not going to happen!! He has his own bed. It sounds extremely strange to me. I have never even thought of having my son sleep with me even for one night. *cringe* Just sounds odd to me.

Hope things work out for ya

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
gr33n3y3z
Posted: May 30 2005, 05:01 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 822

It is very strange and out of line if you ask me.

Did you talk to her about it?

Good Luck your gonna need it

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
moped
Posted: May 30 2005, 07:07 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Yeah, sorry this just doens't sound right to me!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Alice
Posted: May 30 2005, 07:16 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 574

I think you should talk to her about it, even if you're seriously considering ending the relationship. You're in a unique position to let her know that this is NOT something that most people consider normal, and that perhaps she should seek counseling. After all, while her friends and his, may know that she's wayyyyyyyy too involved in his life, they may not know about the co-sleeping issue. So talk to her about it. If you care enough to be this deep into the relationship, care enough to clue her in.

Oh, and welcome!!

--------------------
Alice
wife to Peter
mom to Brian (6-18-98)
Julia (2-17-00)
Kira (2-04-03)
PMEmail Poster
mike68
Posted: May 31 2005, 11:22 AM
Quote Post

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yes, I did talk to her about this issue and she now swears to me they do not sleep together. As we don't live together (her and I), I have to assume she is telling me the truth.

Still, her relationship with her teenage son is like that of a mother with her young toddler. He is virtually her shadow. Hmmmm....
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: May 31 2005, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I guess you just wait and see what happens in the next while

Why suddendly do they not sleep together? Cause you said something? Something seems odd, but only you will know what the right thing is

Good luck!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

TANNER'S MOM
Posted: May 31 2005, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 824

Ok I guess I have to throw this in here..

I have co slept with my teenagers at different times.. Mine is a girl! But still!

She doesnt' care to climb into to bed with Mom and Dad right in the middle when she has cramps or gets dumped.. or just plain ole dont feel good.

Sometimes she needs me and wants to be as close as the others..they too will climb in if they are sick or scared.. almost 15 to 7 ..rotating bed I tell y a!

IT IS NOT NORMAL to sleep together every nite..she always knocks b/4 she comes in b/c dad might be NEKKID and that is gross of course....

So it me that is the normal side ..

What you are saying is NOT normal!

--------------------
PM
gr33n3y3z
Posted: May 31 2005, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

Well he could be a mommies boy also
And if they been together through alot that could explain why the closeness
BUT she has to let him see things and figure out that this cant go on either and let him start to do things on his own.

What ever you choose I'm sure you will do the right thing and only you can decide whats right for you

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
mama3x
Posted: May 31 2005, 04:10 PM
Quote Post

Kyrie loves Maisy!

Member No.: 552

I have a 13-year-old and unlike many teens, he's well and fine with being seen in public with me. smile.gif He's my shadow too when we're out or at least in line of vision. He has had his own room and bed though since he was less than a year old. I do go lie with him on his bed once in awhile but on the opposite end that he's on and usually in the afternoon to talk about something short.

He could be an extreme mama's boy, I don't know. Is she from another country originally? I know in Japan for instance a lot of families still do the family bed thing for many many years, until their kids are grown and some still do the family bathing as well. Dads and daughters, moms and sons, any combo thereof. Here in Hawaii there are some LARGE families I know that live in small homes who practice family beds as well.

For me though, the thing in your post that got me rather "riled" is the part about him lying on top of her and being overly affectionate that way. I am not for the co-sleeping part but that's just me.

Welcome and much luck to you~

--------------------
Dionne, wife to Kevin & proud SAHM of
Brenden (13yrs), Kyrie "BoogaGirl" (23m), Dallas "Boy-Boy"(20wks)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
JessC
Posted: May 31 2005, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,289

yeah... that seems kinda weird.!?! ohmy.gif

--------------------

-Jessica

PMEmail Poster
amymom
Posted: May 31 2005, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

The kids!!

Member No.: 1,308

Welcome. The co-sleeping thing, the way you describe it along with the being overly affectionate is not right IMO.I must say though, that my 14 yr old son has fallen asleep in our bed while watching TV, but we always wake him to go back to his bed. He did about a year ago fall asleep on our bed and we didn't wake him, but that is not really the same.

I must say I would love to have one of those mornings with all four of us in the bed together like we used to, but my teenager now sleeps so late ... no more of that!!! tongue.gif

--------------------

Anne Marie
Mom to Billy & Mary Beth
Wife to Lee

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Madpoet
Posted: Jul 23 2005, 05:28 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2,236

My father found himself in a similar situation about 20 years ago. He dated a woman who slept with her teenage son. My father thought it was odd but he really liked this woman. Eventually they were married (he was divorced from my mother by then, obviously smile.gif ). After a two week honeymoon, they returned home to a huge argument on their first night. She told him she was sleeping with her son and he could sleep in the boy's room. He argued, and told her she was nuts but to no avail. He stormed off to the son's room and slammed the door. 20 minutes later when her 12 year old daughter entered the room and told him that "mom" sent her to keep him company, my father ran for the door and filed for divorce the next day.

No offense, one example does not mean anything, but my advice would be....RUN!!!

Madpoet
PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted: Jul 23 2005, 05:45 PM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

OMG I'm so sorry if this offends anyone but that is just sick! I think you need to go away from this situation..oh heck, RUN!!!! I wouldn't give this a secound thought it sounds soo creepy and I think that the closness between parent and chils is wonderful but when he is laying ON her that's odd and Kissing her neck, NO. I think you sond like a reasonable gentalmen and I'd reccomend you continue your search for ms. right. Good Luck!! thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
redchief
Posted: Jul 23 2005, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

Yup... real weird. 'Nuff said.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0266 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]