Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Hygene, Why don't teens get it
ferocity302
Posted: May 7 2005, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,230

My son is 14 and we fight so hard to get him to take a shower, put on clean clothes........not sleep in his clothes and generally just keep up on his hygene.

He is not the only one. I've seen a couple of his other friends with the same issue. What can I do? I fight to get him to take a shower every day....... If I don't remind him he doesn't do it.

How can I get him to self manage his own hygene? Any thoughts?

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
amymom
Posted: May 7 2005, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

The kids!!

Member No.: 1,308

My son is just hitting puberty so the shower issue is developing. We have insisted on a shower at least every other day. And... yes it is a struggle. What we have also insisted on is , new UW & socks and shirt everyday. And ... we remind him of the possibility of the cruelty of others if he smells even just once at school. But there seems to be no hope. sad.gif We are developing a 'fine' if he doesn't manage his own hygene. This would be were he would pay us $$ when he misses or needs to be reminded.
It seems like it will be a perpetual problem.
banghead.gif

--------------------

Anne Marie
Mom to Billy & Mary Beth
Wife to Lee

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
lisar
Posted: May 7 2005, 04:22 PM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

When I was younger my parents fought with me to take a shower and brush my teeth and brush my hair. They just made me do it. If I didnt go take a shower when I was told then I got grounded or got the t.v. taken or wasnt allowed to go outside and hang with my friends. Thats the only advice I have for you.

Lisa
PMEmail Poster

iluvmysweetiepies
Posted: May 7 2005, 05:48 PM
Quote Post

Filling the world with beautiful girls

Member No.: 1,244

Hmm I don't have much advice. My daughter is around the same age but is pretty good with hygiene. Maybe it's a boy thing. unsure.gif Just keep reminding him. At our house we have a shower schedule to make sure everyone keeps clean. laugh.gif Maybe reserve a special "shower time" for him, and on days when he doesn't shower have the time be just for reading or whatever. That seems to be the common problem around here, being too busy with other, often more fun wink.gif , things to be interested in taking a shower. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by iluvmysweetiepies on May 7 2005, 05:49 PM

--------------------
Alexia and Brooke 1-26-05
Lilypie Baby Ticker

~*~Loving wife to Scott & mother of 5~*~
Ashlyn Grace-14 Ariana Faith-6 Sofia Marie- 4
Alexia Michelle & Brooklyn Elizabeth 1.26.05
Born at 34 weeks 5 months old 3 months adjusted age

PMUsers Website
mama3x
Posted: May 15 2005, 12:39 AM
Quote Post

Kyrie loves Maisy!

Member No.: 552

I don't have any advice for you because I am kinda in the same boat. I swear my DS never washes his hair well! I sometimes wonder if he even uses shampoo and soap or if he just SAYS he does...

Well the dentist visits confirm he must be brushing his teeth at least. And he does use deodorant but still, there are other areas of hygiene that are HORRORS! He will sleep in the same shirt with the same sheets and blanket for months if I don't say something.

It could be worse though I admit. But I am after him all the time hoping maybe he'll get tired of my nagging. Is it possible for his pediatrician to talk to him? Or a respected male figure other than his dad? That may help. Good luck!

--------------------
Dionne, wife to Kevin & proud SAHM of
Brenden (13yrs), Kyrie "BoogaGirl" (23m), Dallas "Boy-Boy"(20wks)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
ferocity302
Posted: May 16 2005, 08:27 AM
Quote Post

He seems to be getting better. Dad (biological donor) is not in the picture and he doesn't want dad in the picture.

My b/f has been talking to him (we've only been together a few months now) and my DS really likes him so the support seems to be working so far. There are still days that I wonder about that soap and shampoo too. Now it's just getting him to start shaving! LOL He's 14 and is driving me nuts with his facial hair. That is the next issue we will be tackling with him.

Thanks everyone for the input!!

--------------------
user posted image
Tina's Tots
Posted: May 17 2005, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,034

At least I know I am not alone in this! I have a 15 year old son, same problem, he says he doesn't like the feel of water on his skin! Ahhhhhgggggg . . . . (Swimming apparently doesn't count!) He is starting to be interested in girls so maybe that will help. It does seem to be a phase with teenage boys so since most of the men that I know do shower and have good personal hygene, perhaps it is something he will outgrow. His skin is breaking out very bad, which I know is due in part to him not keeping his face clean so that part concerns me. He is a good looking kid and I keep reminding that he will have scars if he doesn't keep his face clean. So far, that doesn't seem to phase him. He only seems to get interested in his hygene when he is going to see a girl.
PMEmail Poster
ferocity302
Posted: May 18 2005, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

Swimming doesn't count........ playing in the creek or the river doesn't count. LOL

When he does get into the shower he takes a half and hour. It's just no winning.

I'll just keep bugging him and see if he gets tired of hearing my voice.

I just need to get him to start shaving. aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh

--------------------
user posted image
mama3x
Posted: May 18 2005, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

Kyrie loves Maisy!

Member No.: 552

You know I have told my son something like this:

"Do you think I would like to be with a guy who smells funny and doesn't have good hair? And is sloppy?"

"no."

"Do you think girls are interested in boys who don't have decent, clean hair and who smell funny?"

"No."

"Ok, so then..."

Works occasionally. Not always. AH WELL!

--------------------
Dionne, wife to Kevin & proud SAHM of
Brenden (13yrs), Kyrie "BoogaGirl" (23m), Dallas "Boy-Boy"(20wks)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0088 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]