Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Eyedrop help!
mommymommy
Posted: Jul 15 2008, 06:55 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,810

My 16 month old daughter has an eye infection for which her doc prescribed antibiotic eye drops..We are having the hardest time getting tehse into her eyes.
If you have ever had t do this for your toddler, any adivice or tips would be gratly appreciated
Thank you!
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Jul 15 2008, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

My best advice is try to keep her as calm as possible (which I know is probably not easy at that age! My daughter was a bit older and able to understand what we were doing at the time) and have 2 people work together if at all possible. One person can hold her and calm her while the other holds her eye and puts in the drops.

hug.gif Good luck!
PMEmail Poster
lesliesmom
Posted: Jul 15 2008, 07:10 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 2,484

DH usually does the drops. He has them tilt their head up (or lay on his lap), close their eyes and puts them in the corner of the eye (close to the nose) and then when they open their eyes they go in. Seems to work well for him. Good luck.

--------------------
<<!-- Facebook Badge START -->Carrie Adams | Create Your Badge
<!-- Facebook Badge END -->
PMEmail PosterAOL

DillsMommy
Posted: Jul 16 2008, 05:49 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 4,279

I once heard somewhere, that it might make it easier to put eyedrops in while they are sleeping. Just put them in the inner corner of the eye and it will go into the rest of the eye. I've never tried it though--so I'm not sure how well it works. dunno.gif

This post has been edited by DillsMommy on Jul 16 2008, 05:56 AM

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterAOL
PrairieMom
Posted: Jul 16 2008, 06:10 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

rolling_smile.gif ONG, I have SOOO been there. Its Horrible! It took both of us to hold my 5 yo down for his drops. Basically, we ended up having to bribe him with candy, then I had to sit on his chest with my knees pinning his arms down, and his head between my thighs to hold his head still, then I had to pry his eyes open with one hand and drop with the other.
Def. Not the most un-traumatic way to go about things, but it was the only option I had. Thank goodness we only had to do it 2 times a day for 10 days. wacko.gif
PM
luvmykids
Posted: Jul 16 2008, 09:26 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

What works best for us is if I have them lay down, I get behind their head and tell them to look at my left hand (somewhere off to the side) and then do the drop...I think it helps if they can't really see the bottle coming towards their eye.
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jul 16 2008, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

We had to do this with Allie about three or four months ago - right around the time she turned one I think. She actually did really well with them though so I don't have a lot of advice on how to do it with a struggling baby. unsure.gif With Allie I'd just lay her down on the floor, talking to her and playing with her, and then say ok I'm going to put your eyedrops in now, and then just do it. She'd squint up her eyes and blink hard because they stung, but that was it.

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
PrairieMom
Posted: Jul 16 2008, 09:53 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

You guys, I just have to laugh. What is wrong with me? y-all are all, "oh, we just drop them in... no struggles... my kids sit still... blah blah blah... " and here I am " beat them up!!!! Sit on 'em! Grrrrrrr..... tank.gif rolling_smile.gif Seriously, I knew I was mean, but MAN!!! rolling_smile.gif
PM
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Jul 18 2008, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Jul 16 2008, 11:53 AM)
You guys, I just have to laugh. What is wrong with me? y-all are all, "oh, we just drop them in... no struggles... my kids sit still... blah blah blah... " and here I am " beat them up!!!! Sit on 'em! Grrrrrrr..... tank.gif  rolling_smile.gif Seriously, I knew I was mean, but MAN!!! rolling_smile.gif

You're not alone. Tanner wouldn't do drops until he was about 4. Aiden has had pinkeye already and both Troy and I had to hold him down while we pry his eyes open. dry.gif

If I am by myself, or if Troy is, I have to literally pin him down with my legs with his arms underneath, and pry his eyes open to get them in. He will NOT take eye drops.

I don't know who suggested keeping them calm, but I had to laugh when I read that. In this house, that would be like trying to give a rabid raccoon a bath. Calm would not be a term to discribe either of my children when it comes to eyedrops, no matter how calm you remain yourself. Pin, pry, and squirt would be the way we go in this house. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Boo&BugsMom on Jul 18 2008, 11:48 AM

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
seeingblue2
Posted: Jul 23 2008, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 20,807

QUOTE (lesliesmom @ Jul 15 2008, 07:10 AM)
DH usually does the drops. He has them tilt their head up (or lay on his lap), close their eyes and puts them in the corner of the eye (close to the nose) and then when they open their eyes they go in. Seems to work well for him. Good luck.

That's exactly how we do it.

--------------------
Elizabeth

user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0146 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]