Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Baby essentials
Newtothis
Posted: Sep 19 2005, 05:27 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,519

wavey.gif
Hi everyone, Im brand new to this board and first time mom-to-be (in March). Ive never been around babies in my life and am pretty scared about all I dont know. Im in the military as is my husband (who is deployed too) and I have almost no female friends and no relatives anywhere nearby. So... does anyone know where I might find a good list of what I need in order to get ready for this baby? I cant seem to find anywebsites or magazines that might have a good breakdown that havent been made by companies trying to push their own products!

Any advice is welcome (and desperately needed) grouphug.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted: Sep 19 2005, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

Here's a link for ya!!

http://www.babybag.com/babyshop.htm

Congrats on the pregnancy and welcome!!

wavey.gif baby.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
MomToMany
Posted: Sep 19 2005, 06:13 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

wavey.gif Hello, and welcome!! Congratulations on the pregnancy!

I think that list is a bit extreme (and way too expensive). There are 2 things that you can do to really save money. #1 is breastfeed (which is good for baby AND mom!). There is great info HERE and HERE is all the wonderful benefits of breastfeeding.

#2 is to cloth diaper. Cloth will save you thousands of dollars over disposables, and are better for baby & the environment. HERE is a great article to read on cloth diapering.

I guess hand-me-downs are out, but you could still look at the Goodwill or Salvation Army (or other places like that) for baby clothes & bedding cheap. You could also put an ad in the paper asking for baby clothes cheap. I would recommend buying a crib (if you aren't co-sleeping) and a carseat brand new. Those are items you don't want to take a chance with safety-wise.

My newborn clothes consist of T-shirts (until the belly button healed), onsies, & sleep & play sleepers for the very beginning. Then we moved on to shirt & pants sets (or shorts, depending on the season) with a onesie underneath if its cold. Then used regular sleepers at night. My kids didn't get shoes until they were walking well. That allows for proper foot development. Make sure you have plenty of socks; seems like I never have enough of those wink.gif .

There's a basic list of baby items HERE. They don't really need too much.

If you want more advice, just ask! I LOVE talking about baby stuff!

Newtothis
Posted: Sep 19 2005, 06:46 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2,519

rolling_smile.gif
Thank you both very much for all the information. All those sites are very informative and not just on what we need to get started! Ill be reading for awhile biggrin.gif

lookitup.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
MomToMany
Posted: Sep 19 2005, 07:15 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

It can seem very overwhelming at first, like anything brand new. But the best thing you can do is be informed. Read as much as possible, and then ask any questions about anything. I will gladly answer any questions you have since I've BTDT a few times wink.gif .

Good luck, and have fun reading!
MyBlueEyedBabies
Posted: Sep 19 2005, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

Mommy's littlest man

Member No.: 828

looking at that fist link it was a pretty fair judge of what we used. There were some things like Epicac that you would/shouldn't use and I think we only used vaseline on ds until his circumcision healed. But I think we bought and used most everything.
For me i worked in Child Care for years so most of the products were old hat but walking arround babies R Us gave me a good idea of what I wanted then I made a list and put it out to my online group and had them give me the thumb.gif on the specifics.
In the very begining as long as you have a carseat to get baby home, place for baby to sleep, diapers and a couple packs of sleepers your good to go and you can wing it and figure it out from there

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0109 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]