Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Girl Dies After Parents Pray for Healing, Instead of Seeking Medical Help
AlexsPajamaMama
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 05:00 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,473

--------------------
Michelle~Sahm to Alex,Wife to Greg
user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
msoulz
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 05:20 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

Wouldn't do this myself - it's heartbreaking to think she could have lived a really long life - but that is my perspective and beliefs and those poor parents now have no daughter and I feel badly for them even though my kid would be alive in the situation. We all do what we think is right and we live with the consequences.

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
lisar
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 05:53 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

I understand the whole religion thing for people however in my eyes that should be abuse. They let that girl suffer.
PMEmail Poster

coasterqueen
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 05:54 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

How sad. sad.gif

I won't even comment on these parents, because I really do not know their religion. I've come to understand that some religions do not allow certain medical treatments, etc - my MIL is one who follows a rule similar to this, but not as harsh i don't believe.

My prayers go out to this family. hug.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
BAC'sMom
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 06:49 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 7,486

It’s a shame what some people do to their children because of their briefs and selfishness. sleep.gif

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster
5littleladies
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 07:20 AM
Quote Post

Lissie

Member No.: 116

I'm not sure what to think of this story. I feel sad for what the girl went through and how it ended, but then again I really believe in a persons right to practice their religion as long as they aren't intentionally hurting someone else. I'm guessing these parents truly believed they were doing what was best for that child and I'm sure it was heartbreaking for them watching her die like that. And *gasp* I don't think they are completely incompetent for believing that God could heal their child. (I personally believe that God also created ways through medicine for us to be healed but that isn't the point here)

So yeah, I'm just not sure what I think.

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
A&A'smommy
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 07:28 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

I believe in the power of prayer but I also believe God gave us resources, doctors, medicine. In my eyes that was abuse sad.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 07:54 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

QUOTE (4littleladies @ Apr 1 2008, 09:20 AM)
I'm not sure what to think of this story. I feel sad for what the girl went through and how it ended, but then again I really believe in a persons right to practice their religion as long as they aren't intentionally hurting someone else. I'm guessing these parents truly believed they were doing what was best for that child and I'm sure it was heartbreaking for them watching her die like that. And *gasp* I don't think they are completely incompetent for believing that God could heal their child. (I personally believe that God also created ways through medicine for us to be healed but that isn't the point here)

I know what you mean. I think they made a horrible mistake, but I'm sure they thought they were doing what was right. People can be so stubborn about their beliefs. I wish that they would have realized before it was too late that it's not a sin to get medical help, AND keep praying that God would heal her. sleep.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
My2Beauties
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 07:56 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Member No.: 467

QUOTE (alyssa'smommy @ Apr 1 2008, 11:28 AM)
I believe in the power of prayer but I also believe God gave us resources, doctors, medicine. In my eyes that was abuse  sad.gif

Ditto on the giving us resources part. What are doctors, nurses put here for if we do not use them?? This is abuse to me as well I believe.

This post has been edited by My2Beauties on Apr 1 2008, 08:03 AM

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 07:58 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (~Roo'sMama~ @ Apr 1 2008, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (4littleladies @ Apr 1 2008, 09:20 AM)

I know what you mean. I think they made a horrible mistake, but I'm sure they thought they were doing what was right. People can be so stubborn about their beliefs. I wish that they would have realized before it was too late that it's not a sin to get medical help, AND keep praying that God would heal her. sleep.gif

With my MIL's religion she can get certain types of medical help but not blood transfusions, etc. It may not be a sin to you or I, but it is to people with certain beliefs. I don't try to understand it, especially my MIL on such things.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

I guess only they can ever know if the price they paid for their unquestioning faith was worth it.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Member No.: 467

I want to add...plus this little girl suffered, I think the parents need to be questioned and arrested, they put her through unnecessary suffering. sad.gif

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Apr 1 2008, 09:58 AM)

With my MIL's religion she can get certain types of medical help but not blood transfusions, etc. It may not be a sin to you or I, but it is to people with certain beliefs. I don't try to understand it, especially my MIL on such things.

That's what I meant - maybe they think it is a sin, but I wish they would have realized otherwise in time to get their daughter the help she needed.

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
my2monkeyboys
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 01:12 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,245

I think it is horribly sad. I can only imagine how they are feeling right now.
I believe that in this country we are free to exercise freedom of religion, and if their religion is against any/all medical intervention, then that is their right as her parents. It is sad, but I do not think they should be charged with abuse/neglect/etc. They did not intentionally make her sick nor cause her to die. They did what they believed to be best for her.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

Kentuckychick
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,085

bawling.gif

What I find so disturbing about the whole thing is that those parents thought that God was punishing them for not having enough faith... now they'll probably never have faith again....

I can't coment one way or the other on whether what they did is right or wrong or what they were truly thinking. I believe in modern medicine and my faith allows me to do so... I understand that there are faiths that don't (I don't know that this is even a case of that)... but I could not imagine watching my child die and not at least trying to do something about it.

--------------------
~Rachel~ Godmommy to;Connor (September '04) & Caydence (August '06)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
kimberley
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

QUOTE (willsmama @ Apr 1 2008, 05:12 PM)
I think it is horribly sad. I can only imagine how they are feeling right now.
I believe that in this country we are free to exercise freedom of religion, and if their religion is against any/all medical intervention, then that is their right as her parents. It is sad, but I do not think they should be charged with abuse/neglect/etc. They did not intentionally make her sick nor cause her to die. They did what they believed to be best for her.

i agree. i hope it makes them think twice the next time another child is sick.

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
MyBabeMaddie
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,193

Such a manageable condition its a shame they just didn't go in to her pediatrician - the MD would have known right away too. I wonder what the siblings think...

--------------------
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
Crystalina
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,338

Yeah, I'm not sure I pity them much. I pity their children. sleep.gif

I watched a show about this last night and one of the officers at the house afterward said they had the medical card for all of their children and they also had syringes full of meds (prescribed by a doctor) for her illness. dry.gif Why the prayer then?

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

I feel its abuse but in the eyes of others it is not
It will be up to the courts I feel

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
redchief
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 03:02 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

Some religious beliefs are just plain wrong. May God have mercy on them in their ignorance, because I'm just plain too angry that they would ignore the many gifts of medical science to have any empathy for them.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

My faith does not override the fact that i would do anything to save my child. I would never put my faith in priority over getting my kids safe and healthy.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Mommy2BAK
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 843

QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Apr 1 2008, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (alyssa'smommy @ Apr 1 2008, 11:28 AM)
I believe in the power of prayer but I also believe God gave us resources, doctors, medicine. In my eyes that was abuse  sad.gif

Ditto on the giving us resources part. What are doctors, nurses put here for if we do not use them?? This is abuse to me as well I believe.

I feel the same way. sleep.gif

--------------------
~TAMARA~
Blessed mother to Blakely (7/12/04), Ayden (9/21/07), Addison and Avery (7/2/08)
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Boys r us
Posted: Apr 2 2008, 05:15 AM
Quote Post

Alliebelle & Mommy

Member No.: 378

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Apr 1 2008, 08:57 PM)
My faith does not override the fact that i would do anything to save my child. I would never put my faith in priority over getting my kids safe and healthy.

EXACTLY!!!

--------------------
NICHOLE
Wife to Rick and Mommy to my 3 loves..Tanner, Braedon and Alexandra MiaBella
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Apr 2 2008, 05:23 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

I feel the way the rest of you do, there would be no way my faith would get in the way of me saving my child.

I only understand this because of my MIL's religion. Actually I don't understand it and I tell her that, but just as I've asked her to respect my style of living/religion she has asked me to respect hers.

I feel so sorry for that young girl. I wonder if she had such a strong understanding of her faith or if she was wishing someone would just help her live. KWIM?

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Apr 2 2008, 07:30 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

The urge to protect our young is primal- it should be as automatic as breathing. I certainly agree with you, Karen, but these parents' idea about what constitutes protection is obviously vastly different from ours'. To them, God was protecting her, and if he called her home, so be it. It's not a mindset I can relate to, not being a person of strong faith, but there are alot of people who think that way, like your in-laws.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0307 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]