Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Question
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
  Posted: Mar 28 2007, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,474

When did you stop NIP? I don't mean this in a negative sense what-so-ever. I actually think you should NIP whenever you need too, at any age (JMO), but my mom thinks it's even strange to be nursing Wesley at 9 months. She knows it's healthy to BF, but she was watching me nurse him and said "Wow, Wesley is pretty big next to you"...and I knew exactly what she meant. dry.gif Especially since she went on to tell me that a neighbor came over once and she has twin boys. She asked my mom if it was okay she nursed one of them (this was at my mom's house). My mom said it was fine of course, but swears the boys are Wil's age (2.5). She couldn't get over seeing a toddler nursing.

So I told my mom that I plan to nurse to at least 12 months and she sorta shrugged it off with a judgemental grin. But it started to make me feel a bit insecure about it when I was at the library on Monday and sat nursing Wesley in a group of kids at storytime. I felt like other moms were staring at me. I had a blanket over him, but since I'm fairly small, he sticks out from my side a lot. Maybe he looks a lot older...but who cares right?? Was it strange to be nursing around other kids? They were preschool aged. I couldn't figure it out. unsure.gif

Just curious what others' opinons are on this. No debates please. Just wondering when you felt it was time to not NIP, but still nursing at home.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Mar 28 2007, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

IMO, I don't think there is anything wrong with nursing a 9 month old in public. I have said before that people NIP in front of me make me uncomfortable, (No flaming, I nursed in public too...) I think that lap babies are fine, but after they start walking it starts to make me even more uncomfortable.
PM
CantWait
Posted: Mar 28 2007, 08:22 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

I won't say what age I feel is right or not for NIP as my views are quite different from some others. I will say though that I NIP right until Anthony stopped nursing Full Time which was at 12 months. The only reason I did it then was because we went to Toronto for 2 weeks visiting family and Ron put a lot of pressure on me to stop or go into another room when at his parents house.

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster

~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Mar 28 2007, 08:52 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

I nursed Andrew until he was one. I didn't have any problem NIP as he got older - I don't think I had to nurse him in public after 10 or 11 months though because he was nursing so infrequently it just never happened. I wouldn't have thought twice about it if I'd needed to though. wink.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Mar 28 2007, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Mar 28 2007, 11:04 AM)
IMO, I don't think there is anything wrong with nursing a 9 month old in public. I have said before that people NIP in front of me make me uncomfortable, (No flaming, I nursed in public too...) I think that lap babies are fine, but after they start walking it starts to make me even more uncomfortable.

I never thought of the term "lap baby"...that makes sense now as to why my mom thought Wesley looked "big" on me. Oh well. I don't care what my mom thinks. laugh.gif

Thanks for your honest answers ladies!

Sorry if this is too personal of a question... blush.gif I completely wish that our society was more open to nursing in general...including NIP at any age. JMO.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
PMEmail Poster
kimberley
Posted: Mar 28 2007, 12:45 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 249

i didn't NIP much past 1yo with Jade for similar reasons. that and she was an acrobatic nurser wacko.gif . i just got tired of the sneers and comments so i only did it when absolutely had to. lousy our society puts a time limit on bonding with our kids dry.gif then they wonder why our society is so bad rolleyes.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
EvesMom
Posted: Apr 1 2007, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 3,293

I NIP my DD up until 13 months when she weaned herself. Do what feels right to you. Your the momma and no one else.

--------------------
Photobucket
Wife to Rick
Mother to Evelynn & Jesse
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Apr 1 2007, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

I think it should be what ever you are comfortable with. I dont think it should have anything to do with age. I nursed in public till jake was 13 months. I think I would have cont. as long as we were nursing.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0115 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]