Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Car Seat Safety for older kids
MyLuvBugs
  Posted: Jan 22 2008, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

myluvbugs was here...

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,471

Have a box of tissues handy when watching this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ

Please remember to check your car seats on a regular basis.

--------------------
Erika

Momma to Lorelei & Lexi
Wife to Steven
PMUsers Website
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 22 2008, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

TFS, Erika hug.gif

After I saw that I started doing some research, and something else everyone may not know is that LATCH systems (the anchors in your car) have weight limits...meaning after a certain weight they may fail so you need to use the seatbelt to strap the carseat in at that point. I never knew that, just thought I'd pass that along too.
PMEmail Poster
Kentuckychick
Posted: Jan 22 2008, 08:23 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,085

bawling.gif I've seen this video many times and it never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

It has actually been quite controversial in the world of carseat techs though. The child died because his seatbelt failed. Yes, 5-pt. harnesses are MUCH safer and should be used until AT LEAST 4 years, and yes, latch should be used when possible, but there's no saying that either of these things would have saved this child's life.

The main thing is that parents need to remember to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS for their carseats. They also should research before buying carseats to see what's the best fit for their child and their vehicle (some seats do not work in some vehicles). Children should rear face as long as possible (at least until the age of 2 when the spinal cord is more developed) regardless of what pediatricans tell you and they should absolutely NOT be turned forward before the age of 1 no matter what they weigh. No child should be in a booster seat until they are both 4 years AND 40 lbs unless they are too tall (shoulders above the top shoulder slot forward facing) for any harnessed seat. Children should remain in some sort of seat (5-pt. or booster) until they are at least 8 years old.

And, carseats expire after 6 years. They should then be destroyed and thrown away.

There's a lot more to keeping children safe in the car than this video lets on.

--------------------
~Rachel~ Godmommy to;Connor (September '04) & Caydence (August '06)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

jcc64
Posted: Jan 23 2008, 08:36 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Nonetheless, thank you for posting this. My dd is 5 and in kindergarten, but is still quite small for her age- 36" and 36 lbs. Many of her same-aged friends like to brag about being in "big girl seats" and tease her about still using a "baby seat". We're still using the Britax Roundabout, which she seems to have plenty of room left to grown into. Sometimes I've been tempted to cave and allow her to use a booster seat (which we have in our second car), although even she recognizes that she's less secure in it. This video was definitely the kick in the pants I needed to stick to my guns. Thanks again.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
kimberley
  Posted: Jan 23 2008, 01:04 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 249

thanks for the post. i have a question...

Jade is 4yrs 5mos and is still using her car seat because she is not 40 pounds. she is really slim but getting taller. should i buy some kind of other car seat that's taller or special booster for her until she gets to 40lbs? she was about 35lbs last check up.

tia.

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 23 2008, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Member No.: 467

OMG this brought tears to my eyes...TFS. Hanna is 42 pounds and 42 inches tall and still in a 5 point harness seat....she has plenty of room, I have been contemplating a booster seat for a while...this has changed my mind.

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Jan 23 2008, 01:47 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Jan 23 2008, 11:36 AM)
Many of her same-aged friends like to brag about being in "big girl seats" and tease her about still using a "baby seat".

My daughter gets this all the time, too. Infuriating, isn't it? growl.gif She is 7, 85 pds and still in a NBB because she still can't pass the 5 step test to be without a seat. I know of NO ONE IRL who still has their child in a booster in my area at this age. They are all smaller and lighter than her so none of them are riding safely. Olivia's retort has been "Well, my mom loves me and wants me to be safe." but still I know it's hard for her. Her friends don't ride in our car without a booster, period.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
AlexsPajamaMama
Posted: Jan 23 2008, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,473

omg bawling.gif
the price of the 5pt harness car seat mentioned is sooo worth the money if it means your child is safe.

--------------------
Michelle~Sahm to Alex,Wife to Greg
user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 23 2008, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (kimberley @ Jan 23 2008, 02:04 PM)

Jade is 4yrs 5mos and is still using her car seat because she is not 40 pounds. she is really slim but getting taller. should i buy some kind of other car seat that's taller or special booster for her until she gets to 40lbs? she was about 35lbs last check up.

tia.

It depends on where the harness hits her....I believe for front facing the harness slots are supposed to be slightly above their shoulders. If she's too tall for the harness slots to hit her in the proper spot, she probably needs a different seat. The ones designed for five point harness up to 80lbs (as opposed to those that convert to a booster) have much higher backs and harness slots. HTH.

I made the switch to boosters for the twins long enough ago that I don't have their 5pt seats anymore, I don't have the money right now to buy them both new seats, I've been checking out some special harnesses for kids in booster seats but haven't done enough research to recommend them as an option.
PMEmail Poster
Kentuckychick
Posted: Jan 23 2008, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Jan 23 2008, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (kimberley @ Jan 23 2008, 02:04 PM)

tia.

It depends on where the harness hits her....I believe for front facing the harness slots are supposed to be slightly above their shoulders. If she's too tall for the harness slots to hit her in the proper spot, she probably needs a different seat. The ones designed for five point harness up to 80lbs (as opposed to those that convert to a booster) have much higher backs and harness slots. HTH.

Right, the harness slots forward facing should be at or slightly above shoulder level.

There are several seats being made now that harness up to 65 lbs. and the Britax Regent harnesses to 80 lbs. All of these seats have high harness slots and should last at least until the age of 5/6.

Britax Regent

Safety 1st Apex -- turns into booster at 65 lbs.

Graco Nautilus
-- This one should be out soon and may be out already in some areas I just haven't seen it available here yet. It has high harness slots and works up to 65 lbs. and then turns into a booster

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Jan 23 2008, 08:18 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

This thread is so good it more than deserves a bump.gif

Thanks Erika!

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
kimberley
Posted: Jan 24 2008, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

thank you very much for the info!! i guess i will be buying her a new seat this weekend. it is below her shoulder unsure.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Jan 24 2008, 05:58 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 17,840

That is so sad; I've seen it before bawling.gif .

I want to repeat what was said before about keeping them rear-facing as long as possible. Some people are in such a rush to switch them around, because it's easier to tend to them. But I think the safety the rear-facing provides definitely outweighs the slight inconvenience that it causes. Abby is short, but chunky. She will be rear-facing for about another year or so (she's 1). In Eurpoe, some kids rear-face until they are 3 or older.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
Mom to Logan, Quentin, Ethan, Hannah, Kayla, & Abigail!
PM
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 24 2008, 01:18 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Question...I had no clue about the rear facing up to 2 years old, honestly I always assumed 1 year was fine. So...if they are to be rear facing, do they stay in that small infant seat or are their 5 point harness seats that rear-face?? Sorry if I sound stupid blush.gif

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM

mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Jan 24 2008, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Jan 24 2008, 04:18 PM)
Question...I had no clue about the rear facing up to 2 years old, honestly I always assumed 1 year was fine. So...if they are to be rear facing, do they stay in that small infant seat or are their 5 point harness seats that rear-face?? Sorry if I sound stupid blush.gif

Not a stupid question at all. wink.gif It's not the norm (though infinately safer) to rear face beyond 1 in this country. Olivia rear faced until 2.5 when she outgrew by weight the rf limits of her seat. For most people, the next step up in car seats from infant seats is a convertible seat. They are called convertible seats because they both rear face and forward face. The belt paths, harness to shoulder height, and weight limits are different depending on which way your seat is facing. Because manufacturers are upping the weight limits of their seats (both in the rf and ff weight limits), many children could (and should) reap the benefits of extended rear facing. If you choose extended rear facing, though, arm yourself for a million negative comments. I couldn't believe how many people thought it was crazy, we were crazy,etc. I just used it as a means to educate people who had no idea how much safer it was to rear face beyond 1.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 24 2008, 01:52 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ Jan 24 2008, 04:39 PM)
Question...I had no clue about the rear facing up to 2 years old, honestly I always assumed 1 year was fine. So...if they are to be rear facing, do they stay in that small infant seat or are their 5 point harness seats that rear-face?? Sorry if I sound stupid  blush.gif

Not a stupid question at all. wink.gif It's not the norm (though infinately safer) to rear face beyond 1 in this country. Olivia rear faced until 2.5 when she outgrew by weight the rf limits of her seat. For most people, the next step up in car seats from infant seats is a convertible seat. They are called convertible seats because they both rear face and forward face. The belt paths, harness to shoulder height, and weight limits are different depending on which way your seat is facing. Because manufacturers are upping the weight limits of their seats (both in the rf and ff weight limits), many children could (and should) reap the benefits of extended rear facing. If you choose extended rear facing, though, arm yourself for a million negative comments. I couldn't believe how many people thought it was crazy, we were crazy,etc. I just used it as a means to educate people who had no idea how much safer it was to rear face beyond 1.

Thank you, I could honestly care less what people say to me. I seriously will let people know my stance on it. My MIL and FIL are so horrible about being educated on this, they still think that Hanna shouldn't have to be in a car seat huh.gif WTF she's 4?? I will never understand their way of thinking....they are really old school I guess. I fight battles with them and I always win biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
Kentuckychick
Posted: Jan 24 2008, 02:03 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ Jan 24 2008, 01:39 PM)
Question...I had no clue about the rear facing up to 2 years old, honestly I always assumed 1 year was fine. So...if they are to be rear facing, do they stay in that small infant seat or are their 5 point harness seats that rear-face?? Sorry if I sound stupid  blush.gif

thumb.gif

Everything she said!!

Here are a few examples of the top rated and most well liked by car seat techs, convertible seats that face both forwards and backwards.

Alpha Omega Convertible

Cosco Scenera

Triumph Advance

Britax Boulevard

Britax Roundabout

Britax Marathon

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0186 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]