Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Australian Traffic Safety Video Targets young, Warning - EXTREMELY GRAPHIC
redchief
Posted: Dec 26 2008, 08:28 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

While this video commercial spot which aired in Australia is extremely graphic, I still think that all teens, especially boys, should see it before they ever get behind the wheel. Again, it is extremely graphic and may be disturbing for even adult viewers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmu1R_Bb4NI

The Sydney man who produced the video wanted to do one in the USA too, but the government felt it was too graphic. Well, maybe a little bit of graphic realism would keep our kids from killing themselves and each other.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Dec 26 2008, 09:11 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

That was pretty graphic, but you're right... it might send the message home. I don't think it would be good for public television though. I wouldn't want someone Ashley's age seeing that. But showing something similar in Drivers Ed might be appropriate.... along with one about Drinking and Driving.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Jackie012007
Posted: Dec 26 2008, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,017

WOW. That is excellent.

When I took my 5 hour course, they showed an even more graphic video based on a true story - it was chilling but I still think about it, 8 years later!

--------------------
Jackie - mama to Carly Evelyn (01-05-07) and Bride-to-Be (02-28-09)
PMEmail Poster

redchief
Posted: Dec 26 2008, 09:25 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Dec 27 2008, 01:11 AM)
That was pretty graphic, but you're right... it might send the message home. I don't think it would be good for public television though. I wouldn't want someone Ashley's age seeing that. But showing something similar in Drivers Ed might be appropriate.... along with one about Drinking and Driving.

That was what I had in mind, Dee Dee. It's obviously too graphic for small children, but I think it's more than appropriate for new teenage drivers. Every one of my kids has lost a classmate to careless driving. It's tragic that our kids don't understand the deadly power they have when they slip behind the wheel of a vehicle.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
Jackie012007
Posted: Dec 26 2008, 09:28 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (redchief @ Dec 26 2008, 09:25 PM)
Every one of my kids has lost a classmate to careless driving. It's tragic that our kids don't understand the deadly power they have when they slip behind the wheel of a vehicle.

it is a disturbing trend. My high school graduating class lost 3 different people who died in different car accidents from age 15 to age 18 sleep.gif all being stupid!

--------------------
Jackie - mama to Carly Evelyn (01-05-07) and Bride-to-Be (02-28-09)
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Dec 26 2008, 09:32 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

wow thats powerful I agree they should have something like that in the US

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Dec 27 2008, 05:30 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

That is the very mild version I have the full version so if you want to see that let me know I can send the link to you

I think it should be shown to everyone even the ones out there driving that only have themselves in mind bc as the full version shows all age groups.

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
CantWait
Posted: Dec 28 2008, 05:17 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

Not to graphic for young drivers at all I don't think. Definetly something I would show my kid before I hand over his car keys in a few years.

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
Nina J
Posted: Dec 28 2008, 06:49 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

Are you sure that is Australian? The footage is not Australian, the number plates on the cars are not like any number plate in any state or territory.

It is very powerful, but I have never seen it on television before. We have ad's like it, with bloody people, dead children, etc. People still do not get the message though, our national holiday road toll is around 40 this year. sleep.gif

They should show it on tv more often. It is good, people always talk about the government campaigns. That must not be a government campaign ad, usually they say "Authorised by the Australian Government, Canberra" at the end. Not like it matters, but I do think the ad is British. Filmed there, at least.

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Dec 30 2008, 08:26 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Thanks for posting this, Ed. My ds recently got his permit, and though his skills seem fairly solid for a new driver, his common sense and awareness of what's going on all around him are questionable at times. I'll definitely show this to him, thanks!

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: Dec 30 2008, 08:34 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

Member No.: 1,368

Didn't watch this one, but did watch one with a similar title on another forum. Maybe this one was toned down as mentioned above.... but....

While I understand the intent, I thought the one I saw was ridiculously over done. When I was in school, we all watched a video about car accidents on the freeway that was no where near as graphic as this one. Kids entering driving age think they are invincible and completely in control.

Until you are driving a vehicle that kills someone, you will never "get it".

Edit: Just watched this one... it's different than the one I saw, but I still stand by my opinion above.

This post has been edited by DVFlyer on Dec 30 2008, 08:37 AM

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0118 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]