Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> My birth story, longgggg
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 07:59 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,474

Okay, here goes.........

I went in for my induction at 8am. I was six minutes late, so doctor was already gone, but the nurses got me started right away on pitocin and put my IV in. All was going well...I was handling the contractions fairly well...never really feeling much until I was maybe at a 5. Just as I was telling DH that I wonder what it feels like to have your water break naturally, the doc comes in to break my water. It started as a trickle on the bed, but then....whooooooooooooosh, I flooded the whole bed! And then the floor! Things started progressing from there and it was still morning. The doc went back to the office and told the nurse to call him when I was at 9cm. When I was at 6cm, the nurse checked my cervix and says "hmmmm, I don't think that's a head". ohmy.gif WHAT? So she takes an ultrasound and discovered that Wesley was still head-down, but that instead of head presenting, he was face presenting. The nurse was feeling his little cheek bone and possibly a nose, instead the top of his head. I panicked. The doc came back and checked himself, reassuring me that it didn't mean I necessarily needed a C yet, but it was possible. But as I started to progress more, Wesley's heart-rate was going down, which meant he was under stress. Not a comfortable position for a little guy! The doc checked again and sure enough, his face was looking DOWN the birth canal and his little chin was cocked back really far. If we had tried a vaginal delivery, he could possibly catch his chin on my pelvic bone and...... bawling.gif

So off I went to the OR...I was a total mess! My biggest fear was having a C, so I was shaking like a mad woman, uncontrollably. I panicked when I couldn't see DH. Anyhow, I just have to say that the experience was just about as awful as I expected, if not more. I don't want to scare anyone, but I hated feeling so vulnerable on the table. I'm all for epidurals, but I couldn't handle not feeling the lower half of my body as 10 people were in the room staring at it under neon lights! It didn't help that the anesthesiologist said to me "wow, you are ALL baby"...perve. dry.gif The tugging was horendous. My doc is known to be great at C's, but he is also known to be a bit rough. DH held and kissed my face and brought Wesley over to me when they finished. I plan to be KNOCKED OUT if I ever go through that again!

When I was on the table, I heard the doc say to the nurse "look at the umbilical cord, I've never seen that before"...so that freaked me out. He said it was coiled to such an extreme that it would have caused a serious problem during a vag delivery. Probably cutting off Wesley's oxygen if stretched. bawling.gif

Post-op was awful too. It lasted too long. I had to wait in a room with a bunch of other patients (we had curtains of course). It was after 4pm and I hadn't eaten anything since 4am and I had the Wesley at 1:18pm! They gave me ice chips only and I still hadn't held Wesley yet or tried to BF him. Pure torture.

So all in all, I hated the experience and I wonder at times if I should have never been induced...but judging from the position Wesley was in, plus the cord, I would have had a C regardless. And who knows what would have happened if I had waited any longer. I'm so thankful that my baby is safe and healthy. wub.gif

Sorry this is getting long...thanks if you've got this far. In regards to the jaundice, I expected Wesley to have it since Wil had it bad too. So I was prepared, but it still stinks. They both had what's called the ABO incompatibility jaundice. With an ABO incompatibility, a mother makes antibodies against her baby's blood type. It doesn't happen if the mother and baby have the same blood type or if the baby is type O, since in that case, there is usually nothing to make antibodies against. These antibodies, if the mother is type O, which I am, can cross the placenta and can break down the baby's red blood cells after he is born, leading to jaundice and anemia. So Wesley underwent photo therapy treatment in the NICU for four days. DH was so sweet and wheeled me down FOUR floors to the NICU every three hours to feed him. For Wil, we were in the hospital for 7 days, so only four was a HUGE relief.

Wesley went to the ped yesterday and he is still a bit jaundiced, but at a level the ped is not concerned about. No repeat photo therapy needed. So all is good! Again, I'm glad it's over!

Thanks for reading.... blahblah.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

hug.gif Rae. I'm glad he came safe smile.gif I remember my c-section with Kylie all too well and it was a very very awful experience for me. One that I swore I'd never repeat and thank goodness I didn't have to w/Megan.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
Boys r us
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Alliebelle & Mommy

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 378

I'm sorry your experience was so awful Rae! But in the end you have little Wesley and he's okay, that is the most important thing! He's so cute too(that has to help take the sting out of things wink.gif )

But boy are you and Karen scaring the begeezers out of me about the whole C-section thing!

--------------------
NICHOLE
Wife to Rick and Mommy to my 3 loves..Tanner, Braedon and Alexandra MiaBella
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PM

My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 08:55 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

You poor thing that sounds terrible!!! I can't imagine....glad to hear it turned out ok in the end! hug.gif hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
MyLuvBugs
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 09:44 AM
Quote Post

myluvbugs was here...

Member No.: 2,471

Oh goodness Rae! That does sound awful. I'm so glad that you and Wes are ok though. hug.gif And just like Nicole.....I'm scared to death now of "what could" go wrong....Thanks! smile.gif lol

--------------------
Erika

Momma to Lorelei & Lexi
Wife to Steven
PMUsers Website
CantWait
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 10:34 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

Sorry it was such a horrible experience, I'm glad the outcome is nothing but good news though. Thankfully both you and little Wesley are doing well, and healthy. hug.gif

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

wow thats crazy girl!!! I'm glad both you and little wesley are okay though and its definitly good that you had the c ALSO don't go knocked out next time (IF you have to have another one) because I was and I regretted being knocked out sad.gif anyway I'm glad you guys are okay and home and doing well now!!! BTW what a wonderful dh to do all that for you!!! love2.gif love2.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
jacobsmama
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 10:56 AM
Quote Post

KRISTI :)

Member No.: 2,060

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif Hugs to you Rae, I'm so glad that wesley is doing okay i'm also sorry that you had a bad experience....But you are all safe and that is what is most important now..... wub.gif

--------------------

Mother to Jacob & Conner. Wife to Loren
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
amynicole21
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Member No.: 69

I'm sorry it wasn't a dream delivery, but in the end you got your perfect (and slightly yellow) little baby boy wub.gif Nora and Sophia were both jaundiced - it stinks. I hope he gets over that quickly.

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
amymom
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 11:06 AM
Quote Post

The kids!!

Member No.: 1,308

hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------

Anne Marie
Mom to Billy & Mary Beth
Wife to Lee

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
luvmykids
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 11:39 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

hug.gif hug.gif Wow Rae, I just can't even imagine. I'm so sorry it was all so scary and awful but soooooo glad you are both ok!
PMEmail Poster
Sarah&Mackenzie
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 11:51 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,956

I am sorry you had a bad expierence, but am so glad to hear that you and Wesley are doing well!!! hug.gif

--------------------
Photobucket
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 12:47 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

Thanks everyone! I still get tears when I think about it. You all know I'm not religious, but I truly think there was an angel looking over us that day. I cry just thinking about what could have happened if the nurse hadn't noticed him face presenting. Or if I had delivered vaginally and the cord got stretched.

I'm so SORRY to scare any of you that are PG! hug.gif I mean that! I truly didn't want to give a horror story that would make anyone afraid of what's to come for them. Docs do C's all the time! Plus, just think how lucky we are that they can get the baby out that way these days.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 01:05 PM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

Wow what a story! I'm sorry you didn't get your dream birth but your lucky to have such lovely children.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo

kit_kats_mom
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 01:06 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

Rae, I think a healthy fear and knowlege is ok. Giving birth can be scary and you never know what could happen. It's unrealistic to believe that everyone will go in and pop out a kid with no complications. KWIM?
Your birth experience sounds a lot like mine with Lauren up till the face presenting and the actual C. That is a horrifying feeling when the docs are giving you O2 and trying to get the babies heart to beat again while the baby is still inside. I'm sorry your delivery didn't go as planned but you got the best present in the end.

wub.gif

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
ediep
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 02:35 PM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

wow! what a story!! So sorry it didn't go as planned but you have your healthy liitle man now and thats whats important!!

Congratulations again!!

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
Ashlynn's Mommy
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 3,771

I'm sorry that you had such a bad birth experience. But I'm glad that you, and your baby are safe, and doing good. I had a c-section, and the worst part of it is when they made me get out of bed the very next day, and walk, and get clothes on. I felt like everything was going to fall out, and the pain was horrible. wavey.gif wavey.gif

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
PMUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
PrairieMom
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 06:09 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

Wow. I am so glad that everything worked out okay for you. How traumatic tho! thumb.gif Wes is beautiful! good job! thumb.gif
PM
MyLuvBugs
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 07:46 PM
Quote Post

myluvbugs was here...

Member No.: 2,471

QUOTE (mysweetpeaWil @ Jun 25 2006, 03:47 PM)
I'm so SORRY to scare any of you that are PG! hug.gif I mean that! I truly didn't want to give a horror story that would make anyone afraid of what's to come for them. Docs do C's all the time! Plus, just think how lucky we are that they can get the baby out that way these days.

Don't worry about it sweetie! A C-section is/was already my worst case scenerio fear, but now I have more questions to ask the midwife and nurses during labor/delivery and can prepare myself better. So it's a learning experience vicariously (sp?) through you! laugh.gif

--------------------
Erika

Momma to Lorelei & Lexi
Wife to Steven
PMUsers Website
huggybugboy
Posted: Jun 25 2006, 07:48 PM
Quote Post

I love my snuggle bug!

Member No.: 1,953

wow Rae! I'm so sorry. Your story sounds a lot like mine (especially the rough doc and not getting to hold the baby afterwards sad.gif ). I had all sorts of emotional issues afterwards dealing with the whole situation. But its a good thing you did it. Wesley is a beautiful and healthy little man. and soooo cute! wub.gif

--------------------
Katie & Josh: Married 7.14.01
Mommy and Daddy to: Miles Benjamin, born 3.28.05

I've been splatted!
PMEmail Poster
siblingtoolivia
Posted: Jun 26 2006, 04:34 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 3,129

I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the c-section. I hate to hear that, I had one after 2 1/2 days of labor and to be honest the whole labor, section thing was a nightmare but the actual c-section was a good experience. The only thing I didn't like was being seperated from the baby and my hubby (I sent him with the baby) when I was in teh recovery room and they took her to do their things with her. But that can't be helped I guess after all I just had surgery...other than that it wasn't bad, sore after, etc. but nothing major. I am doing it again this time and didn't even hesitate to schedule......

Anyway, I am glad you are home and everyone is doign well, you will recover, believe me!!! hug.gif

--------------------
Christine, wife to Dave 9/29/01, Mom to Olivia 6/7/02 and Baby to Be 12/28/06

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 26 2006, 04:41 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

Goodness Rae, that sounds terrible! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. hug.gif hug.gif I'm so glad everything turned out alright and Wesley is fine. wub.gif hug.gif He's absolutely beautiful ~ congratulations! love2.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
3_call_me_mama
Posted: Jun 26 2006, 04:53 AM
Quote Post

Waiting for sun!

Member No.: 254

WOW! What an experience. Hugs and happy thoughts Rae! Glad your adorable little boy is here safe and sound, regardless of how he arrived. I cannot imagine your fear and glad it was a happy ending. ALso I wanted to say how much i think he looks like Wil! I can't help but think that every time i see his little cheeks!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jun 26 2006, 05:09 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

Rae, you have a beautiful baby! I hope you are feeling well, and not in pain. I am so glad to hear Wesley is doing well now! hug.gif

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Jamison'smama
Posted: Jun 26 2006, 05:36 AM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Member No.: 214

Sounds scary and emotionally draining. I also had a c-section after hours of labor--my experience on the table was similar---you are frightened and vulnerable. It is nice to be in experienced and capable hands at that moment. As you know, after a few days of extreme emotion and a couple weeks of ups, downs and mother's guilt, your c-section will feel fine and things will be great. He is beautiful!

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0149 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]