Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Cheap ideas for food?, I don't want to do grocery shopping...
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

I haven't shopped for groceries in 3 weeks. Which is great for us, because we usually spend 100-300$ EVERY WEEK. We've been trying to cut down on costs - so far so good!

We're trying to use up most of what we have before going out and getting more food. Of course, we go every once in a while for the usual stuff like juice, milk, bread and eggs....but not really anything else.

I have tons of pasta, rice, leftover turkey meat from the big turkey I cooked last weekend, frozen veggies, boxes of Hamburger helper and Tuna helper, Kraft dinner bozes, Ramen Noodles packages. We also have lots of homemade turnover dough.

We also have lots of stuff that we hardly, if eer, bother to use, such as cans of tomato soup, spaghetti sauce, cans of gravy, a couple cans of beans, some cans of corn.

Does anyone have quick and easy things to make which include the ingredients above, but not too many other ones?

We're really trying to make our goal to show once a month, and we only have about 1 week to go.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

For example - last night, we had some turkey fried in a pan. I put a can of cream of celery soup mixed in with the turkey. Then I cooked some minute rice - so we had plain rice, with a creamy celery/turkey toping. Pretty good, and it only took about 10 minutes to make!!

It didn't cost anything - it was all stuff we already had, we didn't need to buy anything, and it was yummy!

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Tonight for dinner, we're having Kraft dinner - except that we also mix in some ground beef and some chopped onion. It's a little different, and gives it a more substantial feel.

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster

maliksmommy
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 09:29 AM
Quote Post

Momma's little guy:)

Group: Members
Member No.: 106

I've got a recipe for you that it looks like you have everything for. It's shepherds pie I think I make it a little different then some people but I love it!

1 lb ground beef
1 can of tomato soup
1 can of green beans
4-5 potatoes

Turn oven to 350. Brown your hamburger and then spread in a 13x9 pan. then you spread your can of green beans over the hamburger and then the tomato soup. While you are doing all of this you should be boiling your potatos so you can mash them and put them on the very top. I put cheese slices on top of the potatos, you can use velveeta also:) I then cook it for about 20-30 minutes. I watch the cheese and when it's good and melted I know it's done.

Hope this helps yummy.gif

--------------------
***Diann and Malik 9/4/2002***
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
supermom
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 09:33 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

you said pasta - how about turkey tetrazzini <sp?>

Reposted in it's own thread....

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (maliksmommy @ Apr 16 2003, 01:29 PM)
I've got a recipe for you that it looks like you have everything for. It's shepherds pie I think I make it a little different then some people but I love it!

1 lb ground beef
1 can of tomato soup
1 can of green beans
4-5 potatoes

Turn oven to 350. Brown your hamburger and then spread in a 13x9 pan. then you spread your can of green beans over the hamburger and then the tomato soup. While you are doing all of this you should be boiling your potatos so you can mash them and put them on the very top. I put cheese slices on top of the potatos, you can use velveeta also:) I then cook it for about 20-30 minutes. I watch the cheese and when it's good and melted I know it's done.

Mmmmm...that sounds good. Belly is grummbling now!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
supermom
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 09:44 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

We wanna Recipe Forum - We wanna Recipe Forum - We wanna Recipe Forum - We wanna Recipe Forum !!

laugh.gif

--------------------
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 09:48 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (supermom @ Apr 16 2003, 01:44 PM)
We wanna Recipe Forum - We wanna Recipe Forum - We wanna Recipe Forum - We wanna Recipe Forum !!

laugh.gif

Hmm, TLCDad I think Supermom is hinting at something but she is being so suptle about it that I am not sure what it is. Do you?
wink.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (supermom @ Apr 16 2003, 01:33 PM)

Sorry, didn't convert it to metric for ya!

That's perfect.... only the "old school" Canadians use metric anyways...

(that I know of...everyone I know uses the cup measurment... unless it's like 1 tablespoon or a teaspoon... using mililetres and quarts and etc?? Pfft I don't even know how much a quart is!! rofl!!)

rolling_smile.gif thumb.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (maliksmommy @ Apr 16 2003, 01:29 PM)

1 lb ground beef
1 can of tomato soup
1 can of green beans
4-5 potatoes

Mmm Yum! you do make it diferrently than me...but it sure sounds yummy!!

This is how I normally make it:

Ground beef on the bottom - mixed with a can of any kind of cream soup - celery, or chicken, or mushroom... anyone works really

Corn in the middle, but I also add some chopped up frozen veggies, or some mushrooms and green peppers

Mashed potatoes on top - Occasionally I mash in some cooked carrots too - my DH doesn't eat carrots, but he does if it's mashed along with potatoes! I put also garlic powder in the potatoes - yum!

Topping - I put grated gheddar cheese on top on one side. I like it with cheese, DH does not. Very yummy!!

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
booey2
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 10:20 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 101

Hi, I rarely cook from recipe but if you go to htpp://www.kraft.ca and register, there is a tool there where you enter up to 3 ingredients and they will give you some recipes. Hope this helps.

thumb.gif rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Terri

He is in a happier place.
PMEmail PosterMSN
booey2
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 10:22 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 101

QUOTE (booey2 @ Apr 16 2003, 02:20 PM)
htpp://www.kraft.ca and register

The address should read http://www.kraft.ca not what is written above.
Ooops ohmy.gif

--------------------
Terri

He is in a happier place.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 10:27 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (booey2 @ Apr 16 2003, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (booey2 @ Apr 16 2003, 02:20 PM)
htpp://www.kraft.ca and register

The address should read http://www.kraft.ca not what is written above.
Ooops ohmy.gif

lol thanks, I,ll have to check it out!! I used to go to www.allrecipies.com for recipies, but they got a little too complicated with the ingredients I have... lol

Maybe after I do some shopping!

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
TLCDad
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Member No.: 1

LOL, ok ok I get the hint! wink.gif Expect something in the next few days. blink.gif

Should there be anything else combined with this forum or make it stricty Recipes?
PMEmail Poster

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 04:21 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I htink anything to do with food is good.... recipies... critics of recipies... cheap foods...

We can also just rename threads that way....

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
supermom
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 04:37 PM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

QUOTE (~*~Zach's Mom~*~ @ Apr 16 2003, 07:21 PM)
I htink anything to do with food is good.... recipies... critics of recipies... cheap foods...

We can also just rename threads that way....

That sounds good - and the "critics" can post after the recipe they tried whether it's good or not.....

And as far as renaming the whole recipe thread, if I am recalling what TLCDad said, is that all of the recipes will need to be reposted with individual titles to them??? I volunteered to help moderate for a while until all are reposted and then we can delete them from the "original" as we go ...... Just a thought.

Maybe also include a thread with links to recipe sites, like the kraft one someone posted, and also the allrecipes one and I've got a few bookmarked too that I would be willing to add.....

2cents.gif

--------------------
and Emily, almost 2

TLCDad
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 06:09 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Member No.: 1

I don't think I will ask everyone to repost their recipies. I will move the thread, if anyone wants to repost that is fine. I will also move all threads in regards to food, dinner, etc.. Its really up to you all. If you think reposting all recipes would be best we can do that too.

Speaking of moderator. Shelrae, since you were to first to recommend a recipie board, did you want to moderate it? If not I think jdkjd wanted the job... just let me know by this weekend. Thanks
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 09:20 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

We had a volunteer!!! Feel free to repost the recipes Supermom! TIA!!!!

As for moderators, I think we could use two moderators if both are interested!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

Insanemomof3
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 10:26 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 117

Chili dogs! All you need is hot dogs, chili (mild of course) buns or bread and cheese! Tristan loves them. Makes a huge mess, but absolutely loves it. Just an idea.

Denise

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 17 2003, 04:07 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

MMMMMMM...chillie dogs. yummy.gif I suddenly have an urge for chillie dogs at 8 am!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

supermom
Posted: Apr 17 2003, 04:54 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

QUOTE (TLCDad @ Apr 16 2003, 09:09 PM)
If you think reposting all recipes would be best we can do that too.

That is the only way to get them into individual threads, correct, with the correct titles, because if you move something, it's gotta be the whole thread and there isn't any other way to spilt it out into individual posts??

I don't have any problem doing it, it's easy - open up two browser windows, copy from one and paste to the other - viola!

--------------------
and Emily, almost 2

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 17 2003, 05:28 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Apr 17 2003, 08:07 AM)
MMMMMMM...chillie dogs. yummy.gif I suddenly have an urge for chillie dogs at 8 am!

Mmm... I second that!!!

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
mikivanmom
Posted: Apr 19 2003, 06:22 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 138

If you are still looking - just try combining whatever ingredients you have - instead of "recipes" think - IDEAS - some of my kids favorites are stuff I threw together on one of those "clean out the cupboards" weeks. You can make a killer pot pie - pie crust - filled with meat (cooked), veggies, and gravy - top it with the other crust and bake it till the crust is cooked. You can change the flavor by changing the ingredients - ie - beef w/ brown gravy, turkey w/ turkey or chicken gravy....
throw some pasta, meat, and gravy together and add some veggies (or have them on the side).
To really cut down on your grocery bill - eliminate the "junk" - quit buying hamburger helper, tuna helper, boxed mac and cheese, ramen, etc... buy flour, sugar, butter, eggs, and some seasonings... have you checked the ingredients in those things anyway - mostly chemicals! ((Not what I want to feed my kids every night)) Pasta and rice are way cheaper - buy a huge bag of whole grain rice - we are talking like maybe $8 for like 20 pounds!!! Biscuits cost pennies to make from scratch and only take about 5 minutes. If you buy quality ingredients instead of "cheap fillers" you will be amazed at how much less you spend and how much better you will feel!!! If you have an easy bread recipe - try making the dough, and then flattening it and putting a filling down the middle (ham and cheese - for 1 idea) -- then make slits in the sides of the dough and "braiding" it over the filling (criss crossing) - bake and serve sliced.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 19 2003, 07:22 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

thumb.gif thumb.gif Thanks for the ideas... I am soo bad with stuff like that. Do you have some easy recipes for bread, crust, biscuits, etc? I am guilty of the hamburger helper stuff and DH doesn't care too much for it anyways!

Ashley isn't eating our meals yet, but it won't be long. I would rather feed her healthy food.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 28 2003, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (mikivanmom @ Apr 19 2003, 10:22 AM)
If you are still looking - just try combining whatever ingredients you have - instead of "recipes" think - IDEAS - some of my kids favorites are stuff I threw together on one of those "clean out the cupboards" weeks. You can make a killer pot pie - pie crust - filled with meat (cooked), veggies, and gravy - top it with the other crust and bake it till the crust is cooked. You can change the flavor by changing the ingredients - ie - beef w/ brown gravy, turkey w/ turkey or chicken gravy....
throw some pasta, meat, and gravy together and add some veggies (or have them on the side).
To really cut down on your grocery bill - eliminate the "junk" - quit buying hamburger helper, tuna helper, boxed mac and cheese, ramen, etc... buy flour, sugar, butter, eggs, and some seasonings... have you checked the ingredients in those things anyway - mostly chemicals! ((Not what I want to feed my kids every night)) Pasta and rice are way cheaper - buy a huge bag of whole grain rice - we are talking like maybe $8 for like 20 pounds!!! Biscuits cost pennies to make from scratch and only take about 5 minutes. If you buy quality ingredients instead of "cheap fillers" you will be amazed at how much less you spend and how much better you will feel!!! If you have an easy bread recipe - try making the dough, and then flattening it and putting a filling down the middle (ham and cheese - for 1 idea) -- then make slits in the sides of the dough and "braiding" it over the filling (criss crossing) - bake and serve sliced.

lol!! You jsut told me to get rid of everything in my cupboards!!! rofl!!! rolling_smile.gif

Seriously though, I would LOVE to make biscuits and stuff from scratch. Are they freezable? I'd love to make a bunch and freeze them for easy access, take out a few at a time. I do buy lots of rice - but I'm lazy, I buy the minute rice. blush.gif

That braided bread recipe with the ham and cheese sounds delicious!!! Do I need a bread maker? Or do I just make it and bake it? (I feel like such a twit.,... lol)

I have this wonderful turnover recipe, but I haven't actually made it yet. I've tasted the reslutls, with spinach and goat cheese in it. Yum! yummy.gif

I love making things from scratch when I have the time. While I was pregnant with Zach, I must have spent every Saturday making food. I had so much, we were using 1/4 of my mom's big freezer in her basement, on top of our own freezer!

I always try to make more food than I need to, because I freeze the leftovers for another day, when it's just wither DH or me eating, it's enough for a plate. BUT....lately, anything I make too much of, DH thinks it's his responsibility to *finish* off the leftovers, even if he's not hungry. So I haven't gotten any extra food lately left over to freeze....

I want a whole day to myself just to cook! rofl! rolling_smile.gif thumb.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0174 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]