Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Is this normal?
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Oct 13 2007, 08:32 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Group: Members
Member No.: 135

Katherine is doing great with her reading. She does something that I find a bit odd though. Whenever she is reading, she will trace the letter with her finger while making the sound. She also traces letters in the air when she's asked to spell a word, like in the car. Is this normal? I'm figuring that she's just cementing the sound, shape and letter in her brain but I've never seen it before...not like I've been exposed to kids that much. LOL

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Oct 13 2007, 08:36 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 235

Yes! Very normal! I think it's great that she is familiarizing herself with the letters, sounds, etc. Could they be teaching this technique at her school? I know they stressed this a lot Maddie's kindergarten year.

I don't trace the letters with my fingers, but when I'm thinking about how something is spelled I visualize in my head writing the actual word. I bet K will be a strong speller. wink.gif I did trace the letters and draw the words in the air as a child, though. happy.gif
PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Oct 13 2007, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

Thanks Aimee. It helps to know that she's not a total wierdo. LOL At least I know on normal adult who did it too. rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN

Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Oct 13 2007, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

Well, I don't know that I'm all that normal. rolling_smile.gif But, I think anything that helps her read, write and spell is just fine. wink.gif Does she love to read?
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Oct 13 2007, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

She is probably going to be a very visual person. People learn better in different ways... DH can read a programming book and learn the language that way. I need to watch a video or have someone demonstrate it... I am more visual.

Ashley doesn't trace the words when she reads, but she does draw letters in the air when she spells words. I think it is normal... and sounds like she is doing great with reading and spelling. thumb.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Jamison'smama
Posted: Oct 13 2007, 09:14 AM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Member No.: 214

Jama draws them in the air too! And she loves to demonstrate it as well---"wanna see me write my name in the air?"

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Oct 13 2007, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

I still write in the air if I'm trying to spell a word that is difficult for me.
PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted: Oct 13 2007, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

yep mya did it too.... still does somtimes actually.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
redchief
Posted: Oct 14 2007, 09:50 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

I'm with Dee Dee on this, Cary. I think everything is fine and she's, as you have observed, cementing the letter into her brain.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
jcc64
Posted: Oct 14 2007, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

I just learned about different learning styles and kinds of intelligences in my ed class, Cary.
Sounds like she's a visual learner, which is VERY common. It's helpful to know how she learns best, then you can tailor your "lessons" to suit her strengths.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
msoulz
Posted: Oct 14 2007, 12:27 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

LOL, I"m 41 and I still trace letters in the air! It helps me visualize a word if I am having trouble with its spelling. I hope it's normal!! tongue.gif

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
amynicole21
Posted: Oct 14 2007, 12:43 PM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Member No.: 69

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Oct 13 2007, 12:04 PM)
She is probably going to be a very visual person. People learn better in different ways... DH can read a programming book and learn the language that way. I need to watch a video or have someone demonstrate it... I am more visual.

Ashley doesn't trace the words when she reads, but she does draw letters in the air when she spells words. I think it is normal... and sounds like she is doing great with reading and spelling. thumb.gif

I was going to say the same thing. She needs something concrete to help her remember/conceptualize. Same as counting on your fingers I think. wink.gif Very normal.

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
CantWait
Posted: Oct 14 2007, 02:02 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

This is how I teach Anthony when we do his letter cards. We say the letter and trace it. I do this in hopes that it will help him when writting his letters etc..

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0129 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]