Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 13 year old wants to visit Las Vegas
Jmknippel
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

My daughter is 13 and wants to go back and visit her friends in Las Vegas, we now live in Minnesota, but, she wants everyone to give her money for christmas so that she can go to Las Vegas, I don't think it's a good idea, all the friends out there were bad influences on her and she only got in trouble when hagning out with them, so what should I do?
Thanks
Minnesota Mommy
amynicole21
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 07:09 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

Yikes! That's a toughie... I don't have a teenager, but I'm not sure that I would let a 13yo go on a vacation by herself... Las Vegas or not. Thinking back to when I was 13, there is just too much trouble that they can get into in general, and a big city like that and friends who are bad influences certainly make trouble easier to find. Good luck to you! I can tell this is going to be a big fight, and I'm sending lots of ~*~*~* strength vibes! ~*~*~*~

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 07:10 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

Good luck to you....

I wouldn't let a 13 year old go off on a trip by themselves

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

supermom
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26

My DDs are 16 and 14, and I still wouldn't let them go on a vacation by themselves. MAYBE if they were with ADULT friends, but definately not by themselves. Hope you all can come to a reasonable conclusion and/or compromise so that you all can work it out! grouphug.gif to you

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
MomToMany
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I agree- 13 is too young to go on a trip like that. If you think it would just cause trouble, then don't let her go, plain & simple. Pus, a big city like Las Vegas, there's tons of weirdos and such that I know I wouldn't want around my kids.

Good luck with what you decide!

(P.S. Where in Minnesota are you from? I live up north in Effie, about an hour north of Grand Rapids!)
Mommieto2Girls
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 11:01 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 167

I don't think any 13yo should leave the house without adult supervision. Forget a whole nether state.
PM
Jmknippel
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 11:06 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I live in St.Cloud. She wants her Grandma to go with her, but I told her lat night that I didn't think it was such a good idea, and she just doesn't understand, she misses her old buddies, and they talk online often, and sometimes on the phone, but she always has to call them they never call her., I tried telling her that they should be calling her too if they are such good friends. Ya know teenagers though they don't understand. thanks for all the replies..
Jmknippel
MommyToAshley
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 04:58 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I have to agree with the others here... I wouldn't let her go unless you go with her. It may lead to a big fight, but sometimes being a parent isn't doing what our kids want. But, it might be helpful if you talk to her about how she is feeling about the move to Minnesota. There may be other reasons she wants to go back to Las Vegas. I think talking to her and letting her know you understand how she feels would be helpful.

Being an army brat, I know how hard it is to leave your friends at that age. I moved every 2 years, and it seemed like as soon as I made some good friends, it was time to move. In junior/high school, it was even tougher to make new friends because people already had their "clicks". I always tried to keep in touch with my old friends but that never lasted very long. However, I always made new friends. And, your daughter will too. I suspect that once she makes new friends, she won't be as set on going back to Las Vegas. Are there any activities that she is interested in that would help her to meet some new people in Minnesota?

Here's a few hugs to get you through this rough time <<HUGS>>
grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
MomofTay&Sam
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

I can fish/make fire/be your friend! :)

Member No.: 171

I agree, it's not a good thing. I have a 11 year old and I still wont let him travel unless I am with him. To many things could happen.

--------------------
Mommy to two wonderful boys!

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
mckayleesmom
Posted: Oct 1 2003, 02:13 PM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

Im 23 and I don't like traveling along,,,Mckaylee will be lucky if she is allowed out of the house...lol..just kidding....Maybe she can buy a ticket for one of her friends to visit her.

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
loveydad
Posted: Aug 2 2004, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

When in doubt, just remember this phrase:

"You da mommy" (in my case, daddy)

You don't have to "let her" do anything. If you've got a bad feeling say no. You don't have to be fair when you're protecting her and doing what you feel is best. SHe may be mad for a while but she'll get over it.
momof2girls
Posted: Aug 3 2004, 02:47 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 502

I agree with everyone else, no way!
She may be upset but if you TRY to explain to her so many things could happen and that is why you cant let her go hopefully she may understand
but I know when I was a teenager I understood nothing, I felt like my mom just wanted to ruin my life. lol

good luck!!!

rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Shannon mommy to
Kiley 3 & Azaria 11
The loves of my life!
PMEmail Poster
Alicia
Posted: Aug 8 2004, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

QUOTE (MoMMy2Madison @ Sep 30 2003, 02:01 PM)
I don't think any 13yo should leave the house without adult supervision. Forget a whole nether state.

exuse me?! We are NOT dogs!!!!! y are u putting us on chains??!! Thats wrong.. if u do or will do that to ur kids ull have bg problems with them trust me on this one.
My2Beauties
Posted: Sep 3 2004, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Member No.: 467

Not a 13 yo, nope, too much trouble for them to get into! I know I'm late on this post just had to put in my 2cents.gif

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0146 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]