Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Probably a dumb question.., breastfeeding & baby food
Cal&Camsmom
Posted: Jul 7 2003, 08:38 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 53

This is probably a stupid question lol...it's been almost 8 years since I've done this & I forgot...How do you work breastfeeding & baby food? I mean, when do you nurse & when do you feed your baby food? I didn't nurse my son, so this is all new to me. Also, it's funny because at 19 I knew how to do it without any questions asked, & now at 26 I'm completely lost. lol I feel like a brand new mom again! blush.gif

Anyway, I'm sure when I take Camrynne to the dr. today I'll get the whole "schpeel" from him, but I'd like to hear it from you guys too!

TIA! thumb.gif

Jenn smile.gif

--------------------
Mom to 3 kids, including a pre-teen, a preschooler & a toddler! Also, a puppy, a cat & a bird

Wife to a WONDERFUL husband :)

"I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask 'Mother, what was war?' -Eve Merriam"

Photobucket
PMEmail Poster
amynicole21
Posted: Jul 7 2003, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

I always nurse just before feeding Sophia babyfood. That way, she is getting most of her nutrition from the breastmilk, and supplementing it with baby food.

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
supermom
Posted: Jul 7 2003, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

Nods, until they are a year or more, most nutrition should come from your BM, and not solids.....so we always offered the breast first, then fed solids.....

We also expressed and mixed BM with cereal for a little bit, but we mostly waited until they were old enough to do finger food and they just fed themselves that, so it was 7-9 mos before they really got solids.

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN

MommyToAshley
Posted: Jul 7 2003, 09:50 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Ashley nurses about every two hours still. So, at mealtime, she nurses about 1/2-hour after eating solids. She doesn't eat much in regards to solids so I nurse afterwards and she still gets most her nutrition from BM.

I experimented with before and after ... and after worked better for us.

HTH.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Julie (jem0622)
Posted: Jul 7 2003, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Definitely nurse first. That is where they need to get most of their nutrients until age one. Plus you don't want to deal w/early weaning!

Good luck at the ped office!

Julie
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jul 7 2003, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

not a dumb question, I feed Kaitlin an evening meal about 1/2-1 hour after she has nursed then she will nurse again about 1/2-1 hour after she eats baby food. So we are kinda inbetween. She loves it. I also experminted with how to feed it to her and if I gave it to her after nursing she was to full and if I wate and nurse her right after she only wants a little. So I give her tummy a little time to digest the BM and then give her some then fill her up again. Works for us.

HTH

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: Jul 7 2003, 10:44 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

QUOTE (Cal&Camsmom @ Jul 7 2003, 10:38 AM)
it's funny because at 19 I knew how to do it without any questions asked, & now at 26 I'm completely lost. lol I feel like a brand new mom again! blush.gif

I know exactly what you mean, at 18 I was ready to go, wasn't afraid of anything and thought I knew it all...I had read all there was to read, taken all the classes there were to take and listened to everyone's advice etc...., now at 26 ready to have my second, I feel lost as a puppy......please tell me it all comes back to you LOL

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
MomToMany
Posted: Jul 8 2003, 04:01 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I agree with most here-nurse first then offer solids. BM is the main source of nutrition for the first year, everything else is extra. Don't worry too much if she doesn't eat a lot of solids, it's not that big of a deal this early. Hannah wasn't that interested in solids that much, and we didn't force the issue. She was about 9 months old before she was really interested in them. Hannah still nurses before and after having solids (well, meals actually). She will go pat the recliner when she wants to nurse, to tell me to come and sit down with her wub.gif ! I think that's SO cute!

HTH!!
amynicole21
Posted: Jul 8 2003, 04:04 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Member No.: 69

She will go pat the recliner when she wants to nurse, to tell me to come and sit down with her  ! I think that's SO cute!

That is adorable!! I can't wait until Sophia can really tell me when she wants to nurse rather than just getting really irritable wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0136 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]