Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Well now..., octuplet family
jcc64
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 10:19 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 108

I guess only white, middle-class people in nice homes have the right to procreate, kind of like the Duggars.
That I am sure, is what the news media is implicitly suggesting by the "facts" that they are "reporting." My understanding is that the woman was trying to protect her anonymity. Judging by some of the commentary/reaction, I'd say her instincts were right on the money.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

Member No.: 1,368

People assuming that she is on assistance or has other kids living with other people is exactly the same as those who assume everything is "normal".

In both cases, people are assuming things based on partial information. One is not more right than the other.

It is natural for people to discuss things based on available information- even if that information may change.

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

I really don't care about the fertility deal IMO it's beyond ones control how many kids they get when messing with nature. I respect her for chooseing to carry all. My issue like with every mass producing family out there is the enviornmental resorces that will be used up by all thease kids when they grow into adults. That's it. As long as she's not draining the government or hurting or neglecting anyone i kinda just shake my head for mother earth and then walk away.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo

Nina J
Posted: Jan 31 2009, 09:31 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

I read an article that said her mother apparently claimed the woman has been obsessed with children since she was a teenager. If the article is true, the grandmother of the babies is leaving before the mother gets home from the hospital wacko.gif

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
Kentuckychick
Posted: Jan 31 2009, 10:19 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,085

QUOTE (Nina J @ Jan 31 2009, 09:31 PM)
I read an article that said her mother apparently claimed the woman has been obsessed with children since she was a teenager. If the article is true, the grandmother of the babies is leaving before the mother gets home from the hospital wacko.gif

I read that too... and that all of her children were conceived through invitro fertilization (I wonder who the doctor is that implanted eight embryos into a woman with 6 children unsure.gif ) -- and that none of the children are her ex-husbands.

I do have to say... I think and have thought stricter regs need to be in place on fertility drugs/means... and this is a prime example...

but this story gets weirder everyday.

So the grandmother's going to leave... and the grandfather is taking a "high paying job in Iraq"... that leaves that single mom with a whole lotta kids to take care of on her own.

--------------------
~Rachel~ Godmommy to;Connor (September '04) & Caydence (August '06)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Feb 1 2009, 06:15 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

I dont agree that regulations should be placed on people who want to do this.
I am never for government telling me what I can and cant do.
I think this woman had every RIGHT to do what she did, but she might not have used common sense. Again my issue is that she cant possibly give each one of those 14 kids her attention and the time they need and deserve. And what if God for bid something happened to her. Who is going to take care of here babies.
I think the entire thing is rather sad. I feel sorry for the kids really.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

I'm all for someone having as many children as they want. Really, I am.

This disturbs me a little bit, though. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle5627531.ece

I guess a lot of people seek money out to tell "their story".

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 12:23 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Just like the Duggars, I think it is no one's business as long as the babies are being taken care of.

However, if what I heard on the news this morning is true, then someone should lose their medical license. The news had an interview with the Grandma, who said her daughter had always been obessed with kids. She is a single Mom and had the eggs implanted with all her children. (The doner is the same for all the children). She had these last eggs implanted because she did not want her eggs destroyed. However, from what I understand from the medical professional on the news, they are not suppose to implant more than two eggs at a time. Having multiples is dangerous for the mother and the babies. If this is the case and the doctor implanted eight, then his license needs to be reviewed. I also think that in this case, counseling should have been offered before the service was provided. I am sure the doctor had a case history.

However, I would caution... the news doesn't always get all the facts straight.

On the up side, I heard that all eight babies are doing well. However, it's frightening to hear that the medical bill for all eight babies in ICU will come to nearly $3 MILLION dollars. ohmy.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
MommyToAshley
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 01:25 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Update: I just finished watching an interview with the Mom's agent. Appearantly she was only trying to protect her anonymity and hasn't spoken to the media because she wants to tell her story for $2M. When the reported asked the agent if the reason she had the babies was to sell the story, the agent said he is not at liberty to give any details at this time. I hope it isn't true that she had these babies in order to sell her story.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

msoulz
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 04:06 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Feb 1 2009, 10:15 AM)
I dont agree that regulations should be placed on people who want to do this.
I am never for government telling me what I can and cant do.
I think this woman had every RIGHT to do what she did, but she might not have used common sense. Again my issue is that she cant possibly give each one of those 14 kids her attention and the time they need and deserve. And what if God for bid something happened to her. Who is going to take care of here babies.
I think the entire thing is rather sad. I feel sorry for the kids really.

ITA!!

Update: I just finished watching an interview with the Mom's agent. Appearantly she was only trying to protect her anonymity and hasn't spoken to the media because she wants to tell her story for $2M. When the reported asked the agent if the reason she had the babies was to sell the story, the agent said he is not at liberty to give any details at this time. I hope it isn't true that she had these babies in order to sell her story.

Uh huh . . . dry.gif

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 05:56 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Feb 2 2009, 04:25 PM)

That's what I was saying yesterday. I can't believe the money issue!

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 06:04 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

dry.gif rolleyes.gif
PM
MommyToAshley
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 06:17 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Feb 3 2009, 09:56 AM)
Update:  I just finished watching an interview with the Mom's agent.  Appearantly she was only trying to protect her anonymity and hasn't spoken to the media because she wants to tell her story for $2M.  When the reported asked the agent if the reason she had the babies was to sell the story, the agent said he is not at liberty to give any details at this time. I hope it isn't true that she had these babies in order to sell her story.

I read your link after I posted, it pretty much summed up the interview I saw on the news. Something just isn't right here.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 06:19 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Feb 3 2009, 09:17 AM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Feb 3 2009, 09:56 AM)
Update:  I just finished watching an interview with the Mom's agent.  Appearantly she was only trying to protect her anonymity and hasn't spoken to the media because she wants to tell her story for $2M.  When the reported asked the agent if the reason she had the babies was to sell the story, the agent said he is not at liberty to give any details at this time. I hope it isn't true that she had these babies in order to sell her story.

I read your link after I posted, it pretty much summed up the interview I saw on the news. Something just isn't right here.

I agree, and I hope I'm wrong with my thoughts, because that is a lot of children for one mother who might have "issues". I'm not saying she does, but the news makes her out to and I truly hope it's all wrong for the sake of all those children. sleep.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 06:58 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Feb 1 2009, 09:15 AM)
I think this woman had every RIGHT to do what she did

She might have had "the right" to do it - but 1) she is messing with God's creation - AND 2) like as IF she can pay the 3 million it's costing to take care of her babies in the ICU. At what cost to the rest of you is her right allowed? Where should the line be drawn?

The right to do something doesn't mean it's God Given. The government should have stepped in. Seriously? Some people take it too far, with all their sense of entitlement. Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Especially if what i hear is true, and that she's waiting to sell her story for 2m$.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 07:07 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I believe that she has the RIGHT to do what she did, however, I believe that it was extremely irresponsible on her part, and the part of the Dr that preformed the procedure.
It is extremely dangerous to the babies and to the mother to be pregnant with that many. The likely hood of them surviving and having no ill effects from this were very slim. IMO it is not okay to risk the health of innocent children just to "see if it can be done" or to make a buck off of it.
The best thing that can be done now is for the general public to just ignore the whole thing and let it pass so that she can't profit off this. dry.gif
PM
lisar
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 08:06 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Feb 2 2009, 03:23 PM)

On the up side, I heard that all eight babies are doing well. However, it's frightening to hear that the medical bill for all eight babies in ICU will come to nearly $3 MILLION dollars. ohmy.gif

Just Raygen in the NICU for 2 weeks cost right at $500,000.00. That doesnt include the c-section or me at all. That was just HER bill.
PMEmail Poster
cameragirl21
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

Member No.: 4,205

hmmm, do California tax payers have the right to refuse to pay the 3 million dollars or more it will cost them to attend to these babies that the mother made just to sell her story for 2 million dollars?
And is the mother willing to share her 2 million dollars with Cali tax payers?
I think she should get her 2 mil and then be forced to use all of it to pay off some of the ICU costs.
In principle, I certainly don't think anyone should be denied necessary health care in the US or anywhere for that matter but I do have a problem with a woman becoming a baby machine just to sell her story. 2 mil would start to pay off the NICU bill and I think it should so that people don't think this sort of thing is ok.
As for her having the right to do this or not, I guess I take a traditional Jewish opinion on this one--parents have the right to have as many kids as they can afford to feed, clothe and educate. If times get tough, that is one thing but at the time they you pop of your privates you should be able to feed, clothe and educate them on your own.
And btw, for those of you who became pg unexpectedly and perhaps weren't in the best of circumstances, I see that as very different than purposely implanting 8 embryos that you know you can't afford to feed or diaper and hoping that someone will pay you millions for your story. dry.gif

--------------------
Image hosted by ImageShack

user posted image
Another mother's breaking heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Take a perhaps mentally unstable, disadvantaged woman, pop her in front of TLC on any given night where she can see two unusually large families whose financial well-being was enhanced exponentially by the extraordinary circumstances surrounding their families, and you get, well you get what we have now in California. The Duggars exchanged their modest ranch home and broken down RV for a house the size of a roller rink and a gleaming new tour bus, and apparently the Gosselins moved into a new house in between their all-expense paid vacations.
This woman's a logical extension of our "reality" tv consuming, cult of motherhood, high-tech medical procedure happy, confessional culture--we made her. I don't admire her choices, I question the ethics of the doctors involved, I'm sorry for the babies, but I can't say that I'm surprised by any of it. We as a culture practically dare people to do idiotic things so we can gape and judge from the sidelines while they collect their fat paychecks.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 09:43 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,075

The Duggars own commercial property that they rent out.

The Gosselin's wrote a book!

They didn't do it to make money, like this lady is seemingly doing. When Jon & Kate decided to have just "1" more they got 6. They didn't go into the dr. and say hey, can I have 6 please. The Duggars also just recently started their show in the past couple of years, their oldest child is 20 something.

This lady said HEY Jon & Kate and the Duggas have a show, Im a SINGLE PARENT I think 8 babies to add to my 6 would be SUPER! I could make money by doing this.

--------------------
Jessica
Wife to Salvador 12.23.05
Mommy to
Isabella 8.8.06 & Isaia 1.2.08 & Ian 8.28.09
PMEmail Poster
my2monkeyboys
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,245

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Feb 3 2009, 12:21 PM)
Take a perhaps mentally unstable, disadvantaged woman, pop her in front of TLC on any given night where she can see two unusually large families whose financial well-being was enhanced exponentially by the extraordinary circumstances surrounding their families, and you get, well you get what we have now in California. The Duggars exchanged their modest ranch home and broken down RV for a house the size of a roller rink and a gleaming new tour bus, and apparently the Gosselins moved into a new house in between their all-expense paid vacations.
This woman's a logical extension of our "reality" tv consuming, cult of motherhood, high-tech medical procedure happy, confessional culture--we made her. I don't admire her choices, I question the ethics of the doctors involved, I'm sorry for the babies, but I can't say that I'm surprised by any of it. We as a culture practically dare people to do idiotic things so we can gape and judge from the sidelines while they collect their fat paychecks.

You are absolutely right. And I agree with many of the above statements...
you should intentionally have only the children you can care for and just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean it's right to do.
I just hope these children fare better than I expect. sad.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 09:56 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Hmm, I agree with both Jeanne and Jessica in many ways, although their opinions are different.

I know nothing about the Duggars, but what I've seen of the Gosselins.....well sometimes they can make me sick. I mean I love the show, but hearing Kate talk about all their financial struggles and trying to make others who may have a lot of other kids see how they can make it just like them......uhmmmm well not everyone else with a bunch of kids get what they get. Yes, they didn't have that many kids to have a show, but they are taking every handout they can get and then making others think they can do it to. Quite frankly I think they struggle less than most of us do with a lot less kids. They don't announce on the show all the free and give-away stuff they receive just to make it. Either Kate's husband has an AWESOME salary that i have no clue on that allows him to raise a big family, kids dressing in nice clothes (a lot nicer than mine sometimes), go on vacations, etc, etc.........or they are receiving help. With the reality tv world they can make people feel like "hey if they can do it so can we" but the only way to do it is to sell your soul to the industry that will give you everything for free. wink.gif

Ok, I probably got off topic. Don't mind me. tongue.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

only way to do it is to sell your soul to the industry that will give you everything for free

Bingo, Karen. I often wonder how the kids will feel years from now as they see themselves, particularly Maddie, whose parents make no effort to hide their disgust with her. Set up the therapist appointments now, I say....

--------------------
Jeanne

PMEmail Poster
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,075

I have to say, we all keep our children's best intrest at heart.

At the same time, yes Jon & Kate got a TON of help, with volunteers, and diapers, and clothes. My point was this lady was like HEY if I have 8 babies I can get all that, and that wasn't what the Duggars or the Gosselins did. I just feel they are being bashed for having big families.

DH and I want a big family (given how this pregnancy goes). But we will never have more than we can afford and SURELY wouldn't get pregnant hoping that we got a Huggies sponsorship out of it.

--------------------
Jessica
Wife to Salvador 12.23.05
Mommy to
Isabella 8.8.06 & Isaia 1.2.08 & Ian 8.28.09
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Mommy2Isabella @ Feb 3 2009, 01:36 PM)
I have to say, we all keep our children's best intrest at heart.

At the same time, yes Jon & Kate got a TON of help, with volunteers, and diapers, and clothes. My point was this lady was like HEY if I have 8 babies I can get all that, and that wasn't what the Duggars or the Gosselins did. I just feel they are being bashed for having big families.

DH and I want a big family (given how this pregnancy goes). But we will never have more than we can afford and SURELY wouldn't get pregnant hoping that we got a Huggies sponsorship out of it.

I totally understand what you mean and the difference between the families. I am ALL for big families. My dad was a part of a big family (13) and if I could afford more family and still have my life like I want it I'd have more too. It's a personal choice how many one wants, how much they want their life to change, etc. I just think profiting from it even after you've decided to have a lot of kids (and didn't do it for the money to begin with) is sort of wrong in my eyes. I know most would not agree with that, and I understand that and that's ok with me. And of course I am basing a lot of my opinions on speculation, which I know is not right by any means. My grandparents had 13 kids and didn't seek out the attention some of these big families do and get. My grandmother died when the youngest was 6. I think my grandpa's struggle to raise 13 kids by himself (well 2 of them died at birth so 11) would make a great story as well, especially since he became disabled and couldn't work to financially raise his family. Unfortunately like Jeanne said, WE make it happen along with the industry, and when I say WE I mean me as well.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0160 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]