Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Shocking news about DHA/ARA-fortified formulas!
mommy~to~a~bunch
  Posted: Jan 25 2008, 04:16 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,840

The problems with DHASCO/ARASCO in infant formula go well beyond the way in which advertisements and labeling claims may contribute to the low rates of breastfeeding in the United States. FDA scientists who reviewed the novel oils have never affirmed their safety.5 Included among FDA’s reasons for not affirming the safety of these novel oils are the following issues:
"Some studies have reported unexpected deaths among infants who consumed formula supplemented with long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids.  These unexpected deaths were attributed to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), sepsis or necrotizing enterocolitis.  Also, some studies have reported adverse events and other morbidities including diarrhea, flatulence, jaundice, and apnea in infants fed long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids."

"What is troublesome, however, is that some infant formulas contain DHA-and ARA-containing oils that are novel foods—extracted from laboratory-grown fermented algae and fungus and processed utilizing a toxic chemical, hexane. These algal and fungal oils provide DHA and ARA in forms that are structurally different from those naturally found in human milk. These manufactured oils are known as DHASCO and ARASCO, which stand for docosahexaenoic acid single cell oil and arachidonic acid single cell oil.  These oils are produced by Martek Biosciences Corporation and appear to be added to infant formula primarily as a marketing tool designed to convince parents that formula is now “as close as ever to breast milk.” Substantiating this thesis is a Martek investment promotion from 1996, which reads as follows: “Even if [the DHA/ARA blend] has no benefit, we think it would be widely incorporated into formulas, as a marketing tool and to allow companies to promote their formula as ‘closest to human milk [emphasis added].”1

Scientists have conducted numerous studies that show
little or no benefit to an infant’s development from adding DHASCO and ARASCO to infant formula.
Overall, research results are inconsistent and inconclusive.  Meanwhile, the formula companies have advertised aggressively in an attempt to convince parents that their DHA/ARA formula provides the same nutrients, and therefore the same benefits, as breast milk.

YUCK! Algae & fungus extracts? And HEXANE? Totally disgusting!

They are admitting to adding these to the formula to convince parents that it's as good as breastmilk growl.gif . NOTHING is as good as breastmilk! It's these companies that are completely undermining the importance of breastfeeding, and risking babies' lives by adding these questionable chemicals that supposedly have a benefit, which the FDA has never affirmed their safety!

cheerleader.gif YAY FOR BREASTFEEDING!!! cheerleader.gif

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
Mom to Logan, Quentin, Ethan, Hannah, Kayla, & Abigail!
PM
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 04:40 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 822

I agree with you to a certain extent

But Breast Milk is only as good as what the mother puts in her system if she feeds it drugs or alcohol or even sleeping pills ,ciggys any mind alt. drugs I rather the kids eat DHA/ARA-fortified formula no matter what they claim about them.

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 06:56 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

True, but the majority of families aren't doing drugs, and even if a mom does smoke cigarettes, she's better off breastfeeding than formula feeding: http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html .

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM

MyBlueEyedBabies
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Mommy's littlest man

Member No.: 828

Awesome. I am glad I have all those horrible toxins helping my children thrive in this world.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 07:12 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

at the same time, its hard enough for those of us who wanted to cont. to breast feed and were not able for various reasons not to feel bad about..this helps alot.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 07:13 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

I am a BF adviocate but some just cant for many reasons so I dont judge them if the have to use formula. TBH I dont think anything is safe anymore, I am sure someone can find something wrong with breastmilk, you just have to do the best you can.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

Keep it nice girls. I would be happy to see this if I was pregnant and on the fence about nursing or FF. And if the nursing did not work out for some reason, I would probably make a different choice about the formula that I chose.

Please don't let this get out of hand. If you are struggling with personal issues about not being able to or not choosing to BF, please don't read the OP as a personal attack. Just don't reply ok? I think Mollie was just trying to put some info out there.

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
luvbug00
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 07:42 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

First off i was on a debate board about hot topics ( this being one) and i figured out somthing. in the end you only end up beatting a dead horse OVER and OVER. so i'm not in the mood for a beatdown to my horse as i have not eaten breakfast laugh.gif Not to mention there are so many differant studies showing that both sides of the issue have their negitives and positives. So that being said i say this.

i hope formula companies will begin to keep parents more aware of what they are putting in their formulas ( if not make it governement mandatory)

&

I hope all pro Breatfeeding parents can understand that BF is just not possible or natural ( yes i said it's not natural) to some mothers and so they chose the formula route and though the advocates may not agree they should respect a mothers intuition what to give their child.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
punkeemunkee'smom
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 07:43 AM
Quote Post

It is a wonderful life!

Member No.: 2,162

at the same time, its hard enough for those of us who wanted to cont. to breast feed and were not able for various reasons not to feel bad about..this helps alot.

hug.gif I know we all acknowledge that as badly as some moms have wanted to continue BFing sometimes it doesn't workout for them. There are also those moms who choose not to BF for whatever reason. This does not need to turn into a debate or judgement thread about those situations. smile.gif I am sorry if you felt bad hug.gif

As for the OP Thanks for the info Mollie! It is a scary world when all these chemicals are being introduced first and then tested. wacko.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
baby
baby development
"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life.
The Administrators and Moderators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions or offensive posts to the Moderators by using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 07:45 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

What Cary said.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

Goodness that is SCARY! I'm SO glad I'm breastfeeding!!!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Thank you, I am not about to argue about the choices. I just thought I'd share some info in case someone here was using that type & their child seemed to be sick all the time. It could be caused from the DHA/ARA fats in it.

I'm sure everyone knows my stance on BFing/FFing, so I'm not going to get into that argument. It could be debated until the end of time, so that's not what this is for.

Sorry if my post offended anyone.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ Jan 25 2008, 10:18 AM)
Keep it nice girls. I would be happy to see this if I was pregnant and on the fence about nursing or FF. And if the nursing did not work out for some reason, I would probably make a different choice about the formula that I chose.

Please don't let this get out of hand. If you are struggling with personal issues about not being able to or not choosing to BF, please don't read the OP as a personal attack. Just don't reply ok? I think Mollie was just trying to put some info out there.

ITA with you. thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 09:32 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

QUOTE (punkeemunkee'smom @ Jan 25 2008, 10:43 AM)
hug.gif I know we all acknowledge that as badly as some moms have wanted to continue BFing sometimes it doesn't workout for them. There are also those moms who choose not to BF for whatever reason. This does not need to turn into a debate or judgement thread about those situations. smile.gif I am sorry if you felt bad hug.gif

As for the OP Thanks for the info Mollie! It is a scary world when all these chemicals are being introduced first and then tested. wacko.gif

Ditto.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster

Calimama
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

I can't get the link you posted to work.
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 10:19 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Member No.: 467

rolleyes.gif I'm not even going to say what I want to say. Let's leave it at that.

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 10:20 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Actually I do want to say, I'm sorry if I offend you Mollie but I don't understand your logic behind thigns sometimes....you'll take info off of any unknown website as the truth but yet...you won't believe a medical doctor who has been 12 years of schooling to receive their PhD, studied, researched and has seen the benefits/effects of any given medical study? I don't get it wacko.gif

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 10:40 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Jan 25 2008, 12:20 PM)
Actually I do want to say, I'm sorry if I offend you Mollie but I don't understand your logic behind thigns sometimes....you'll take info off of any unknown website as the truth but yet...you won't believe a medical doctor who has been 12 years of schooling to receive their PhD, studied, researched and has seen the benefits/effects of any given medical study? I don't get it wacko.gif

Yeah, well most doctors don't always tell the truth as I have found out, so I find it hard to believe anything they do tell me, which isn't often because we don't do routine doctor visits anymore. I won't blindly trust them the way some people do. I don't believe the "doctor knows best" line either.

Here's the rest of the website from above: http://www.cornucopia.org/ . It's a really interesting website, and maybe it will be beneficial to somebody.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

QUOTE (SewingMama @ Jan 25 2008, 01:40 PM)
Actually I do want to say, I'm sorry if I offend you Mollie but I don't understand your logic behind thigns sometimes....you'll take info off of any unknown website as the truth but yet...you won't believe a medical doctor who has been 12 years of schooling to receive their PhD, studied, researched and has seen the benefits/effects of any given medical study? I don't get it  wacko.gif

Yeah, well most doctors don't always tell the truth as I have found out, so I find it hard to believe anything they do tell me, which isn't often because we don't do routine doctor visits anymore. I won't blindly trust them the way some people do. I don't believe the "doctor knows best" line either.

Here's the rest of the website from above: http://www.cornucopia.org/ . It's a really interesting website, and maybe it will be beneficial to somebody.

I understand you may have went to some bad doctors in the past but you can't write off the whole medical field because of this, I've never found a doc that blatantly LIED to me yet in my 27 years nor do I know that my mother or father has found one in their 53 years of life.

What is cornucopia.com - see this has no substance to me, never heard of it, would never dare to dream to what they say as the absolute underlying TRUTH!

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 10:52 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Jan 25 2008, 12:48 PM)
Actually I do want to say, I'm sorry if I offend you Mollie but I don't understand your logic behind thigns sometimes....you'll take info off of any unknown website as the truth but yet...you won't believe a medical doctor who has been 12 years of schooling to receive their PhD, studied, researched and has seen the benefits/effects of any given medical study? I don't get it  wacko.gif

I understand you may have went to some bad doctors in the past but you can't write off the whole medical field because of this, I've never found a doc that blatantly LIED to me yet in my 27 years nor do I know that my mother or father has found one in their 53 years of life.

What is cornucopia.com - see this has no substance to me, never heard of it, would never dare to dream to what they say as the absolute underlying TRUTH!

How do you know they haven't lied to you? They might have, and you just don't know it.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Jan 25 2008, 02:20 PM)

Leanne, just fwiw, doctors are human. Yes, there are some good ones out there but there are also bad ones who are swayed by the money and perks that parmaceutical companies throw their way. I'm all for learning about the less mainstream info along with the data that the government and drs throw our way. For example, A few years ago, Organic was a real hippy dippy kind of thing out there on the fringes. I read lots of websites proporting that organic was healither and a better way to go. Now that it's mainstream, lots more people are on the organic bandwagon but not all of it is what we may be led to believe. Some organic stuff is better but some of it is just a waste of money.

And just so you know, I'm not really siding with anyone here, I just hate to see people getting their panties in a knot. I really appreciate both sides of the argument and I feel a lot of empathy for parents struggling with making the right choices for our kids. There is just so much info out there KWIM?

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

QUOTE (SewingMama @ Jan 25 2008, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Jan 25 2008, 12:48 PM)

How do you know they haven't lied to you? They might have, and you just don't know it.

How do you know you have?

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ Jan 25 2008, 11:59 AM)
I feel a lot of empathy for parents struggling with making the right choices for our kids. There is just so much info out there KWIM?

ITA, it's hard to know what truly is "right" or "best"....but it would be nice if we could all accept that what someone else chooses doesn't make them less as a parent, or a less intelligent human being dry.gif
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ Jan 25 2008, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Jan 25 2008, 02:20 PM)

Leanne, just fwiw, doctors are human. Yes, there are some good ones out there but there are also bad ones who are swayed by the money and perks that parmaceutical companies throw their way. I'm all for learning about the less mainstream info along with the data that the government and drs throw our way. For example, A few years ago, Organic was a real hippy dippy kind of thing out there on the fringes. I read lots of websites proporting that organic was healither and a better way to go. Now that it's mainstream, lots more people are on the organic bandwagon but not all of it is what we may be led to believe. Some organic stuff is better but some of it is just a waste of money.

And just so you know, I'm not really siding with anyone here, I just hate to see people getting their panties in a knot. I really appreciate both sides of the argument and I feel a lot of empathy for parents struggling with making the right choices for our kids. There is just so much info out there KWIM?

I understand where you are coming from, I completely do, but the sites she posts are not of quality to me. I'd like to hear this from the FDA website or a worthwhile site, that's all wink.gif See my new post regarding this cornucopia.com

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:11 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

For me, it's not even about not trusting doctors, I just prefer alternative medicine *most* of the time for my kids and me.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0290 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]