Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> potty training..
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Oct 30 2008, 07:11 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,466

help!
Ok someone on here had given me some advice to get Jake going on his potty training he was being so stubborn...well the advice was to tell him that he wont be turning three and his birthday wont come (along with cake and presents) until he starts going to the potty.

well in a week now he hasnt had a poopy accident. He makes it every time..

we are still using pull ups because he was really making a mess other wise..
but he doesnt seem to get the idea of going pee in the potty. he started tellling me that he has to go, but i think its the cold sensation he feels from the pull up not the sensation of going pee..
how did you get them to pee in the potty?
His birthday is monday, so we are under pressure to get it right..

we are allowing some leverage for real accidents..

just so you dont think we are totally mean parents for taking away his birthday. blush.gif

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
kimberley
Posted: Oct 30 2008, 08:34 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 249

i am in a similar potty nightmare. sorry no advice, every kid is different. just lotsa empathy. hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Oct 30 2008, 09:01 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I've heard that boys are harder to train than girls. I've heard that for boys you can put cheerios in the potty and let them shoot for the cheerios. I think the advice was meant for helping them to aim, but I think it would just be fun too. laugh.gif

Good luck!! hug.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Oct 30 2008, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Oct 30 2008, 09:11 AM)
help!
Ok someone on here had given me some advice to get Jake going on his potty training he was being so stubborn...well the advice was to tell him that he wont be turning three and his birthday wont come (along with cake and presents) until he starts going to the potty.

but he doesnt seem to get the idea of going pee in the potty. he started tellling me that he has to go, but i think its the cold sensation he feels from the pull up not the sensation of going pee..

just so you dont think we are totally mean parents for taking away his birthday. blush.gif

Ok, I will speak up since it was my friend who gave me the "no birthday" idea, in which I then gave to you. laugh.gif

How about placing a potty chair near him when he has to go? In the living room, or where he is playing? That way it's not far away.

Another thing, make sure he is filling up on liquids then take him in the bathroom or on the potty chair every 30 minutes or so. If you withhold the liquids, then the opportunities can be further apart, making it more difficult for him to know when he has to go. Whatever you do, don't just sit back and wait for him to tell you. And DON'T ASK him, always just send him to the potty, continuously every 30-45 minutes. You can use Cheerios to make it fun. They float and they can aim, even if they are sitting down.

Honestly, if he doesn't have it BY Monday, I don't think it would be mean to "withhold the birthday" for another week or two. If you think about it, birthday parties are rarely on the birth day itself anyways. Plus, this just may be the push he needs. When that day arrives, he'll hopefully realize you mean business. JMO. hug.gif

Just to add, this is just me, but I hate pull ups for training purposes. They are no different than a diaper, and keeping them on only delays the training, IMO. Again...JMO. They will have many accidents, that is inevitable. I always told parents to bring at least 5 changes of clothes with them each day to my home when I did daycare. With Tanner and any daycare kid I had training, I usually had them sit on a waterproof mattress pad, or something similar when they were seated on carpeting or something of the like. That way I was still going head first into the training (not beating around the bush with it), but it made clean up a lot easier. I called it the "potty accident pad". happy.gif Just cut a mattress pad in quarters and label them "Jake's Potty Pad". smile.gif Tell him it's a game to see if he can go all day without getting it wet.

This post has been edited by Boo&BugsMom on Oct 30 2008, 09:59 AM

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Oct 30 2008, 11:45 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

QUOTE (Boo&BugsMom @ Oct 30 2008, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Oct 30 2008, 09:11 AM)
help!

Ok, I will speak up since it was my friend who gave me the "no birthday" idea, in which I then gave to you. laugh.gif

How about placing a potty chair near him when he has to go? In the living room, or where he is playing? That way it's not far away.

Another thing, make sure he is filling up on liquids then take him in the bathroom or on the potty chair every 30 minutes or so. If you withhold the liquids, then the opportunities can be further apart, making it more difficult for him to know when he has to go. Whatever you do, don't just sit back and wait for him to tell you. And DON'T ASK him, always just send him to the potty, continuously every 30-45 minutes. You can use Cheerios to make it fun. They float and they can aim, even if they are sitting down.

Honestly, if he doesn't have it BY Monday, I don't think it would be mean to "withhold the birthday" for another week or two. If you think about it, birthday parties are rarely on the birth day itself anyways. Plus, this just may be the push he needs. When that day arrives, he'll hopefully realize you mean business. JMO. hug.gif

Just to add, this is just me, but I hate pull ups for training purposes. They are no different than a diaper, and keeping them on only delays the training, IMO. Again...JMO. They will have many accidents, that is inevitable. I always told parents to bring at least 5 changes of clothes with them each day to my home when I did daycare. With Tanner and any daycare kid I had training, I usually had them sit on a waterproof mattress pad, or something similar when they were seated on carpeting or something of the like. That way I was still going head first into the training (not beating around the bush with it), but it made clean up a lot easier. I called it the "potty accident pad". happy.gif Just cut a mattress pad in quarters and label them "Jake's Potty Pad". smile.gif Tell him it's a game to see if he can go all day without getting it wet.

YES! I thought that the pulls ups might be hindering things too.

I am going to wait till birthday central is over here, its also calebs birthday tomorrow..so we are withholding jakes party. hoping that the hoopla he sees from calebs party will inspire him to try harder..
then I got some thick mattress pads we had from andrews crib..and placed them on the couchs..
and I guess we do have to wear underware and push the water and take him every 30 mins..
and still do the sticker chart.

did i miss anything?

thats my plan for tomorrow then!

thank you!

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

lisar
Posted: Oct 30 2008, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

I just wanted to say Good Luck.
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Oct 30 2008, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

thumb.gif Good luck! hug.gif

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
Bamamom
Posted: Oct 30 2008, 12:27 PM
Quote Post

Changing lives one diaper at a time since 2006

Member No.: 3,297

We are in the same boat with my oldest - I swear potty training is enough to make me not want any more children - this sucks!

--------------------
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0182 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]