Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> do one yr olds really hit on purpose?
boyohboyohboy
  Posted: Aug 11 2008, 09:15 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,466

andrew is turning into a devil child.
he is really fighting going down for naps and bedtime. and he is hitting me square in the face..
now I swear he means to do it, but dh thinks its just a reaction and he is just trying to get away..but he seems like he is meaning to hit and make contact...

how do you repremand him for this at his age so he knows that it hurts?

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
BAC'sMom
Posted: Aug 11 2008, 09:27 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 7,486

how do you repremand him for this at his age so he knows that it hurts?

I always told mine no we don't hit. Not sure if they mean to do it but yes it still hurts.

hug.gif

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster
Calimama
Posted: Aug 11 2008, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

I would take her hand and show her how to be gentle. So when she would hit I would ask her to be gentle and she'd rub her hand on my arm like we taught her.
PMEmail Poster

lisar
Posted: Aug 11 2008, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

Raygen done that. I would tell her hitting is a NO NO. And that it hurt Mommy. When she was about 2 and done it though. She went to time out
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Aug 11 2008, 09:51 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

Allie hits, and it's definitely on purpose! She's 1 1/2. I just tell her no don't hit, be gentle and then she "pets" me the way I taught her to pet the cats. tongue.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Aug 11 2008, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

well you all have much nicer babies then I do! andrew gets so mad when its time for bed that he hits and bites and pulls my hair and tried to pull my lips and eyes off.
I try to tell him no, but he laughs and then blows raspberrys.
its just not a fun experience at night

I have been tapping his hand and telling no but I can see where this is causing mixed signals..

--------------------

BAC'sMom
Posted: Aug 11 2008, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 7,486

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Aug 11 2008, 02:20 PM)
well you all have much nicer babies then I do! andrew gets so mad when its time for bed that he hits and bites and pulls my hair and tried to pull my lips and eyes off.

I have been tapping his hand and telling no but I can see where this is causing mixed signals..

No now I would say that. hug.gif I have had a biter, a fit thrower and one that threw everything. I have been hit in the head with the remote control more times that I can count. Not to mention all the other crap he threw. But he eventually grew out of it. At that age not much you can do but direct his attention elsewhere and tell him not to hit.

Is this child your youngest?

I had/have more problems with my youngest. I think in our case it’s being the baby. wink.gif

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 11 2008, 12:19 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I def. thing a one year old can hit intentionally, esp if it is repeated behavior. I started time outs with both mine at one. I would tap their hands, tell them no, then one minute of time out per year. at one, they would get strapped into the high chair, and the chair turned around to face the corner.
PM
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Aug 11 2008, 01:51 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Aug 11 2008, 04:19 PM)

I def. thing a one year old can hit intentionally, esp if it is repeated behavior. I started time outs with both mine at one. I would tap their hands, tell them no, then one minute of time out per year. at one, they would get strapped into the high chair, and the chair turned around to face the corner.

that sounds like a good idea, I will try that..but I can tell you that my kids will throw some mean tantrums and then throw up...sometimes I wonder if its worth my hassle.

--------------------

PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 11 2008, 02:44 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Aug 11 2008, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Aug 11 2008, 04:19 PM)

that sounds like a good idea, I will try that..but I can tell you that my kids will throw some mean tantrums and then throw up...sometimes I wonder if its worth my hassle.

Its def. Worth the hassle. If they are already doing that, can you imagine how bad it will be when they get older?
Personally, and I have said before, i am a mean mommy, and if mine had a tantrum until they puked, (and it has nearly happened before) they would sit in it in time out, then they would help me clean it up.
PM
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Aug 11 2008, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

oh, I can see andrew helping me clean up his puke! he already has taken it like finger paint and his feet are in it before I even get a towel!
but i am going to try the time out in the high chair.

--------------------

Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Aug 11 2008, 06:22 PM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

I agree, they do hit on purpose and for a reason. Usually the reason being that they do not know how to communicate properly yet. The only way they can show emotion is by using their physical force and the little bit of words they do have. They are learning how to tell us what is wrong and how they feel. Aiden throws temper tantrums off and on. I ignore them usually. His big thing is taking objects and hitting things with them. Example...taking the drum stick from the music set and hitting the cats with it. dry.gif I then tell him no, and if he does it again I take it away. At this age they can't communicate yet, so it's important to foster that communication in them. I take Aiden hands and show him how to be gentle, then repeat the word gentle over and over again. I haven't done a time out with him yet. Not sure if he'd really "get it" yet, but at this age Tanner did get what time out was about. They are two totally different children. wacko.gif

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
mommymommy
Posted: Aug 12 2008, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 20,810

I don't think a one year old can understand "hitting" the way we can..Cate will hit every now and again, but when she is excited and not to be mean..It's almost like she's playing anf trying to be silly..I think it will take some time, but hitting will hopefully be a thing of the past soon for both of our little ones lol!
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0272 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]