Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Jewelry making
Brias3
Posted: Mar 7 2008, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,419

I'd like to try this out as a hobby, especially since I think Aliyah would have a ball with it too, however I'm not certain where to start.

Anyone have some advice on the general materials and tools I'd need to give this a whirl? I'm thinking about maybe just trying to do a few necklaces or something to start. I've searched online some, but am finding mixed info.

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster
Jamison'smama
Posted: Mar 7 2008, 09:57 PM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 214

To start, I am by no means an expert but a friend of mine gets a group together occasionally and we make bracelets. Everyone brings beads and we use some thin wire that kind of springs back into a circle when put on the arm--cut so it's about 1 1/2 times around, bend the end, string with cool beads and bend the other end. It is very simple and a great way to start learning and even easy enough for kids to do.

There are loads of books out there but I haven't ventured that far. I would love to make earrings.....someday.

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
maestra
Posted: Mar 7 2008, 10:30 PM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

Brenda is talking about Memory wire, which is a cool material to use. I use Softflex to make most of my jewelry. It's a coated stainless steel wire, that is a lot easier to work with since it's a little thicker. You usually have to get it at bead stores, you won't find it at most Michaels or Joann's. You can also get an elastic stretch cord.

What kind of jewelry do you want to make? Sterling silver is better quality, but it costs more. You will pay by the bead, depending on how big the beads are. You can also get 14 k gold filled, which is the most expensive. Now if you're just looking to make something fun, you can go to your local Michaels or Joanns, and they usually have classes there. Dh and I went to a class at a bead store nearby, and they taught us for free. Do you have any stores like that near you?

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

seeingblue2
Posted: Jun 13 2008, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 20,807

It depends what kind of jewelry you want to make? There are sooo many different kinds. If you're going to do the project with a child you could start with plastic lace and pony beads, elastic and plastic beads, hemp or embroidery floss that you can braid, etc. If you want something a little fancier that you might actually wear everyday I suggest the soft flex type wire mentioned above and sterling silver components. There are several different brands of the coated beading wire and you can get it at Hobby Lobby etc. You'll also need crimps and a crimper (tool), clasps and split rings to attach them. You'll also need a wire cutter and round needle nose pliers.

You can use any kind of beads with the coated wire. I love Swarovski crystals/pearls and if you buy in slightly larger quantities you can get good deals on them. You can also use glass beads, seed beads, etc. and silver plated components instead of sterling to keep the costs down. You can look around on eBay and find cute handmade clay beads also.

Have fun! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Elizabeth

user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
HuskerMom
Posted: Jun 13 2008, 08:00 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 7,388

My mom and I like to make jewelry. To order jewelry making stuff we just go to http://www.inmcrystal.com/ They have tons of cute stuff.

I just do it as a hobby and also have made a few things as gifts, my mom has made a lot of things that she's sold, especially bracelets.

--------------------
Joni

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
maestra
Posted: Jun 13 2008, 08:04 PM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

QUOTE (HuskerMom @ Jun 13 2008, 09:00 PM)
My mom and I like to make jewelry. To order jewelry making stuff we just go to http://www.inmcrystal.com/ They have tons of cute stuff.

I just do it as a hobby and also have made a few things as gifts, my mom has made a lot of things that she's sold, especially bracelets.

That's a really good site. One of my tricks when ordering from them is to look for things that are on backorder that I might want, even though I don't want them right now. Then, the next time I order, I add one of those items to my cart (if it is now in stock) and it makes your shipping free. wavey.gif

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0170 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]