Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Well now..., octuplet family
Kentuckychick
Posted: Jan 29 2009, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,085

They already have SIX children...

and live in a 2 or 3 bedroom home with the mother's parents.

I know I'll get flack for this, but these are exactly the types of families who shouldn't be allowed to use the types of fertility drugs that are known for mulitple birth pregnancies.

We know who will be supporting them. dry.gif

--------------------
~Rachel~ Godmommy to;Connor (September '04) & Caydence (August '06)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Nina J
Posted: Jan 29 2009, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

How can you judge them when you do not even know them? I assume this information is something you have read in the media or seen on television. How do you know it is the truth?

You don't know them or what goes on in their life. For all we know, their bank balance could be hundred's of thousands of dollars. I do not think you can judge someone you do not know.

Personally, I wish them the best and hope that the children grow up happily and have the things they need to get by.

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 29 2009, 05:19 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I don't know, something doesn't sound right there. I hesitate to judge, I have no idea what their family life and circumstance really is.
PM

Kentuckychick
Posted: Jan 29 2009, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,085

<< Outside the family's home, bikes and toddler toys were scattered across the front yard. Neighbors told ABC News that the woman is a single mother in her thirties who already has six other children. It appears that the family will be living in a three-bedroom house bursting with babies when the octuplets are released from the hospital in an estimated two months. >>

Somehow I doubt the neighbors are lying...

And I'm not exactly judging... judging would be saying the woman's a horrible mother who won't be able to care for her children or something of that nature. She may be an awesome mother... and she may have money saved or whatever...

What I'm saying is that there should be stricter regulations on who can recieve those types of fertility treatments. A single mother who already has SIX children... I'm sorry... no.

--------------------
~Rachel~ Godmommy to;Connor (September '04) & Caydence (August '06)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jan 29 2009, 06:04 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

I have to admit when I saw the news about the other children and where they live, I also wondered how is she going to take care of 8 more babies in a home like that?
and why wouldnt responsible parents be living on their own before bringing more kids into the world.
Now they didnt say what shape or age the parents are, so maybe they are taken care of by the adults, or maybe this is an ethnic thing where multiple generations do live together..but the house is so small for the number of people living there before the babies...

I cant help it, I felt weird about it too.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Jan 29 2009, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,075

Updated at 5:50 p.m.: Dr. Richard Paulson, director of the fertility program at the USC Medical School, called the event “unbelievably rare. When people use fertility drugs, 80% even then are single births. The vast majority of the others are twins.”

Still, fertility experts consider the birth of more than two kids with fertility medication to be not a medical triumph, but “a serious complication,” Paulson said. “We do not ever intend to give someone octuplets.”

Usually, he said, births of this kind are brought on by fertility medication, not in-vitro fertilization. Often, during the medication, several of the mother’s eggs are fertilized. In most cases, Paulson said, the mother chooses to reduce the number of fertile eggs to two, “to make sure the two remaining babies will have the best chance at having good health. To have all those babies, the mother would choose to have selective reduction. Apparently the mother made the decision to carry all the eight babies to viability.”

So the mother did undergo fertility treatments. The local news channel did not in my opinon do a very unbias job of covering this story.

I think to each his own. If you want 19 kids, COOL, knock yourself out. If you can afford fertility medications and what not then more than likely you aren't on state aid, as state aid to the best of my knowledge doesn't cover fertility as well as most insurance companies won't cover it. Some do, in Illinois it is mandatory to cover fertility ( I know because our insurance is based out of IL, and we have fertility treatments because of a law there).

--------------------
Jessica
Wife to Salvador 12.23.05
Mommy to
Isabella 8.8.06 & Isaia 1.2.08 & Ian 8.28.09
PMEmail Poster
cameragirl21
Posted: Jan 29 2009, 07:13 PM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

Member No.: 4,205

well, fertility treatments are pretty expensive so she must have some money if she could afford those. I didn't realize she's a single mom, not that that should be a hindrance but if a single mom already has six kids, if I were a doctor, I'm not sure how I'd feel about this but then again, I'm not a doctor and it's not my business. I do feel that it's a lot of kids to have but I don't know if it's fair to assume that they will be a burden on society. With that household it's only a matter of time before they get their own show on TLC and in comes the money, it made the Gosselins rich, so maybe that was her intention.
I can just see it now--Single Mom Plus 14....

--------------------
Image hosted by ImageShack

user posted image
Another mother's breaking heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Jan 29 2009, 07:19 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

I have read and watched countless videos trying to find more information.

She remains to not be identified but they are saying she is hispanic. Also, it said that she didn't necessarily need to go to a Dr. for the fertility medication, as you can order it online from other countries and what not.

I don't think it is fair for anyone to pass judgement on her.

9 weeks premie for 8 babies is FANTASTIC! That took some serious effort on this ladies part. I can't even carry one baby to term, much less 8!! Good for her.

Let's just hope that all the babies survive and thrive.

--------------------
Jessica
Mommy to
PMEmail Poster
Calimama
Posted: Jan 29 2009, 08:29 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

QUOTE (Mommy2Isabella @ Jan 29 2009, 07:19 PM)

She remains to not be identified but they are saying she is hispanic.

I guess I fail to see the significance of that statement...? Why is her race a point of interest? Just curious.. or nosey. Whatever. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Calimama on Jan 29 2009, 08:30 PM
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jan 29 2009, 08:56 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

I mentioned their "ethnicity" because I was thinking that there is a race that does indeed expect their younger generations to take care of the older ones, by living together..isnt it chinese? I am thinking I remember seeing that somewhere, I know that in my town there are a lot of hispanics that live together in multigenerational homes, I dont know if that is their culture thats causes that to happen or not.
I am all for taking care of the elderly, but if she or her husband were not able to care for and support the 6 kids she had by themselves, then she shouldnt have brought mre kids into the picture..I dont know her story, and the news does have a tendency to try to bury people who are not forth coming to them...
it might have been in her best interest to just come out and say what ever it was the media wanted to hear and save her family and her good name..they are going to hound her till they get what they want anyway.
why is it that the hosp alerted the media of this birth if they wanted such privacy?

--------------------

Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 04:44 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

I said her ethnicity or race I always get the two confused because it was just more details about the family. And like someone else said it could be tradition for them to live together and take care of the parents or whatever ... Im not attacking her in any way!

The hospital alerted the media because that is a FEAT for a hospital as well as a mom. Those kinds of things help the hospital with a good reputation. " We delivered 8 babies in 5 mins". Thinking of it that way, what miracle can they help YOU with. OHHH ... I should write slogans ... lol

The media will portray things they way the want to. Especially if the family doesn't want to speak to the media, that is like more fuel for the fire! There was indeed a riding toy in the camera shot when they panned the street and said that was their house, WHO CARES? I can imagine with 6 children and being pregnant with 8 babies that getting the kids in from outside was all she really cared about.

* I wonder if she moved in with her parents when she got pregnant with high order mulitples because she knew she would need help with them when she was no longer able to do things on her own *

--------------------
Jessica
Mommy to
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

QUOTE (Mommy2Isabella @ Jan 30 2009, 07:44 AM)

The media will portray things they way the want to. Especially if the family doesn't want to speak to the media, that is like more fuel for the fire! There was indeed a riding toy in the camera shot when they panned the street and said that was their house, WHO CARES? I can imagine with 6 children and being pregnant with 8 babies that getting the kids in from outside was all she really cared about.

* I wonder if she moved in with her parents when she got pregnant with high order mulitples because she knew she would need help with them when she was no longer able to do things on her own *

thats what I thought and who cares if they leave a toy outside we leave toys outside it doesn't make me a bad mother. I think the media needs to leave her alone whatever her situation is until she is ready to speak to them.. and for all we know her husband could have died recently or left her when he found she was pregnant with 8. We DON"T know their circumstances and its NONE of our business!!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I was watching a segment on the today show this morning, I think it was the today show, which ever one has Julie Chen.
They were showing the mothers neighborhood, and talking to a friend who was all blacked out about it.
It just makes me sick. The poor mom, ( what ever her circumstance) has not come out to the media, IMO showing that she is not wanting to get all this attention, or hand outs. If her story was released by the hospital, that violates patient confidentiality, which I think she should sue for. None of this is anyone's business, and I think it is just sick how the media is digging into it.

not to mention the fact that this mother is getting flamed for carrying all 8 babies to term, what would people be saying about her if she had had a selective reduction? mad.gif
PM
BAC'sMom
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 07:52 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 7,486

QUOTE (Calimama @ Jan 29 2009, 10:29 PM)

I guess I fail to see the significance of that statement...? Why is her race a point of interest? Just curious.. or nosey. Whatever. laugh.gif

I am not sure what the significance is in that statement is either huh.gif What do white people not take care of their elderly or what? Or live around each other or in the same household?

Here we go again jumping to conclusions when we don't even know these people or their story. As for her talking to the media...she just had 8 babies! Give her a freaking break! I think talking to the media is the last thing on her mind.

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster

boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (BAC'sMom @ Jan 30 2009, 10:52 AM)

I am not sure what the significance is in that statement is either huh.gif What do white people not take care of their elderly or what? Or live around each other or in the same household?

Here we go again jumping to conclusions when we don't even know these people or their story. As for her talking to the media...she just had 8 babies! Give her a freaking break! I think talking to the media is the last thing on her mind.

actually my point was that there is a culture of people and I cant remember what it is, that doesnt use nursing homes, or live next door to the elderly in their families, ie, parents aunts uncles, or what ever..they actually move in to take care of them both emotionally and financially..
it was actually sticking up for this woman who could be living with her parents in this sort of scenerio..so now who is jumping to conclusions..

honestly..everyone is just stating their opinions..which one of us could say we could take care of 14 kids!!! I dont think any of her kids are older then 10! thats hard on anyone no matter if she was a billionaire.

--------------------

Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 07:59 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

I didn't mean it as a bad thing, just another little fact. Sorry if I offended anyone. That was not my intention, my intention was just putting out there that the MEDIA had disclosed that she was hispanic, maybe hispanic women have a higher probability of high order multiples, or of traditionally taking care of their aging parents.

Once again, sorry if I offended anyone!

--------------------
Jessica
Mommy to
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 08:01 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

oh btw the dad said that he has a new house a much bigger one somewhere...

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
BAC'sMom
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 08:10 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 7,486

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Jan 30 2009, 09:57 AM)
QUOTE (BAC'sMom @ Jan 30 2009, 10:52 AM)

actually my point was that there is a culture of people and I cant remember what it is, that doesnt use nursing homes, or live next door to the elderly in their families, ie, parents aunts uncles, or what ever..they actually move in to take care of them both emotionally and financially..
it was actually sticking up for this woman who could be living with her parents in this sort of scenerio..so now who is jumping to conclusions..

honestly..everyone is just stating their opinions..which one of us could say we could take care of 14 kids!!! I dont think any of her kids are older then 10! thats hard on anyone no matter if she was a billionaire.

Well my point is that it should not be a race issue. The color of her skin should never had been brought up. Taking care of your elderly isn't always about culture, it's about doing the right thing.

I took care/take care of my Grandmother and Mother and I am not hispanic!

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

would it not be fair to say that a lot of hispanic families live in muiltigenerational housing? I know in my area they do...
I dont know that it has anything to do with their race as just how they do it...
I re read all the posts and I dont think anyone meant to point out a single "race" just more info on what the news is sending out there..
its no different then working thru the facts and rubish the news puts out on almost all subjects.
I also think everyone wishes those babies a great life and the mom plenty of patience and lots of little helpers for her kiddies.. hug.gif

--------------------

Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 08:26 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

I wasn't bringing it up to make it a race issue, merely to bring more understanding possibly if it is tradition for a certain group of people to care for the ederly. Or to have high order multiples.

I am not saying anything bad about here. I have said nothing but positive. I just feel as if what I posted has been taken COMPLETELY out of context. Into something that I never meant for it to mean. I was just simply posting what I had read about the mother. Thats the only description there is of the woman. ONCE AGAIN I DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE! I APPOLOGIZE!!!

--------------------
Jessica
Mommy to
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 08:32 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Ok, maybe I'm a little confused because I don't really know much about this but what you post. In the beginning it said a single mother to X number of children.....why is a single mother taking fertility? Ok, that statement came out wrong. I guess what I'm saying is if she has already a lot of children, living with family and single, struggling, etc why is she wanting to do fertility and have 8 more children? NOT trying to judge. Just trying to figure this story out. happy.gif I think I lost some translation somewhere, maybe?

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 09:00 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

Member No.: 1,368

I'm waiting for more to come out... on the surface, though, I don't like her decision to have more babies at all.

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 09:32 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

Its no ones business who lives with who and how many children they have and how many ppl. live under one roof or how much money they have or dont have.
Or how many toys lay on the ground outside I can think of other things to b%^@& about and one being these comments.

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (gr33n3y3z @ Jan 30 2009, 12:32 PM)
Its no ones business who lives with who and how many children they have and how many ppl. live under one roof or how much money they have or dont have.
Or how many toys lay on the ground outside I can think of other things to b%^@& about and one being these comments.

I completely agree. I guess I was just wondering was there a father involved since it said she was a single mother?

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
Calimama
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

QUOTE (BAC'sMom @ Jan 30 2009, 07:52 AM)

I agree!!

Wow.. seriously? You guys don't like that she had more? Who cares!! Gosh when did life become about doing things to please society? Sad.

No one knows she's on assistance, no one knows if she took drugs, no ones if they REALLY live in 2 bedroom house or if she's taking care of her parents. To pass judgment on 1/10th of the story that may not even be true is ridiculously sad IMO.

This post has been edited by Calimama on Jan 30 2009, 09:49 AM
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0177 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]