Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> I'm so confused, Penicillen dosing
luvmykids
Posted: Feb 21 2008, 08:45 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,038

Ok, the first time Macie got penicillen the dentist said to give her four doses of 5ml the first day, then just three doses of 5ml a day to finish the bottle.

The second time, the pharmacist asked me her weight and questioned the way the rx was written, which was to take 5ml three times a day for the whole bottle. He said the dosage was on the high end for her weight, called the dentist to verify it, then said he really recommended that we do 4ml four times per day...in his opinion, 4ml at a time as opposed to five at her weight is easier on the body and also in his opinion pen is more effective when taken four times a day vs three.

So this third time, a different pharmacist asked me her weight and said scrap the dr instructions, since it's a dental infection yes it's a heavy duty dose but it needs to be 100% knocked out so do the 5ml four times a day.

I hate the fact that she's had so much of it in such a short amount of time, but at the same time I absolutely don't want to take any chances considering they just closed two teeth that may have possibly still had some infection.

What do you think? I don't know if the pharmacist is a little better educated on the full effects than the dentist, or if the dentist knows her stuff and wrote it that way for a reason. I feel like, in most cases, pharms are very knowledgeable and know what they're talking about but can't figure out why it's been different every time, and why it's been questioned the last two times.
PMEmail Poster
Nina J
Posted: Feb 21 2008, 10:26 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

I would be more inclined to trust the pharmasist's opinion. He studied pharmacology, so he is the expert.

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Feb 21 2008, 11:58 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Oh gosh... I've never had a pharmacist disagree with the doc's script. I am not sure what I would do. Maybe you can call the dentist and let him know that the pharmacist questioned it and you jsut wanted to verify it?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

boyohboyohboy
Posted: Feb 22 2008, 02:05 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

as a nurse, i would trust the pharmacist over the dr.
most times in my experience the dr calls a pharmacist for med dosages themselves...if unsure...
but thats my opinion

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ZandersMama
Posted: Feb 22 2008, 03:30 AM
Quote Post

Jesus answers knee mail

Member No.: 1,776

If the pharm is questioning it, i would too. My doctor gave me pills for my heart, but the phamisist was weary of them, so i filled the script and waited to see the cardiologist before i took them. The cardiologist was shocked at the dosage and even the type of med i was perscribed. He told me not to take them under any circumstances.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMSN
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Feb 22 2008, 05:25 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Feb 21 2008, 11:45 PM)
What do you think? I don't know if the pharmacist is a little better educated on the full effects than the dentist, or if the dentist knows her stuff and wrote it that way for a reason. I feel like, in most cases, pharms are very knowledgeable and know what they're talking about but can't figure out why it's been different every time, and why it's been questioned the last two times.

I usually trust the pharmacist over the doctor, concerning the dosage. wink.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: Feb 22 2008, 05:40 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

Dentists don't go through detailed pharmacutical training the way a doctor would, and don't perscrib medications as often either. They just don't know the effects of medications etc as well as a pharmasist would...trust the pharmasist.

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0238 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]