Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> af???
A&A'smommy
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 09:33 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

Okay im totally lost on what happens to your body after you have a baby and i havent seen anything about it anywhere....so i thought i would ask you guys! Do you get AF after you have the baby or after you get done b/f? Or is it different for everyone? should i get something for af to take to the hospital or not? Thanks ya'll!!!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
amynicole21
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Member No.: 69

You will bleed A LOT after having the baby. Not meant to scare you, but all of that stuff comes out in mass quantities. The hospital will provide you with pads and probably this weird pair of meshy underware to hold them in. blink.gif You can't use tampons for at least 6 weeks. I bled for probably 2 weeks or so. It's not really AF, you'll get that later on. If you bfeed it sometimes stays away until you stop, but I bfeed and got it back around 6 months post-pardum.

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 09:44 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

I bled for a few weeks too....it was intense the first few days, then it was lke regular af, but for like 2 weeks.

I got it back 3 months after having Zach...but i had also stopped breastfeeding a week before.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

MomToMany
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Yes, definitely bring something to the hospital. At first, they will give you some big diaper-looking thing, then some of their pads. The pads they give you don't stay in place too well, so bring some "overnight" pads, since you can't use tampons. There will be a lot of blood and clots and all that (sorry if TMI). It usually tapers off gradually over the next week or 2. Not to scare you, but the after-pains can get quite intense as your uterus shrinks back to normal. I got sick to my stomach from them, especially when BFing. There's a hormone thing that happens that helps your uterus shrink back, and to help stem the bleeding (another good reason to BF).

I'm still BFing Hannah, who's 17 months old. I didn't get AF back until 11 mos. postpartum.
ediep
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 10:17 AM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

I bled for 2 weeks, and af came back about 5 or 6 weeks after birth. I did not breast feed.

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
chloe&tysmommy
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 10:30 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 86

QUOTE (amynicole21 @ Sep 30 2003, 11:37 AM)
  The hospital will provide you with pads and probably this weird pair of meshy underware to hold them in.  blink.gif 

LOL...its all coming back to me now! I forgot about those funky underwear thingies!!!!

I bled for 3 weeks after and yes you will bleed a lot right after, I never did have any pains though. And I got my af 3 mths later

--------------------
~Crystal~

PMEmail PosterMSN
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I bled for a week, then got AF a month later. I also didn't BF. The hospital should provide plenty of pads, they gave me a bunch to go home with. They weren't the greatest to wear but after having a baby your not to worried about what your wearing down there, you just want enough protection not to have a accident.
Mommieto2Girls
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 167

Oops, the guest was me, forgot to log-in. Sorry

supermom, reminded me, I also had a c-section and didn't bleed as bad as some I think. I did have clots though. It's all a experience of a lifetime let me tell you..... smile.gif

This post has been edited by MoMMy2Madison on Sep 30 2003, 11:08 AM
PM
supermom
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

I am still bleeding just a little bit, I'm almost 5 weeks postpartum. My OB said nothing to worry about. It is different for everyone, but you will bleed afterwards - it's called lochia, if I remember correctly - the lining of the uterus after birth. You may or may not pass lots of blood clots. It seems like I passed more with my first two births than I did with the others. Also, if by any chance you end up with a C/Section, they will clean you out pretty good so you won't bleed as heavily or as many clots.

I was almost nine months with no AF - I EBF for 6 months, and didn't have her return right away, which is pretty normal if you BF, but everyone is different.....

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
MomToJade&Jordan
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Nothing like having a sister...

Member No.: 212

LOL!!!!! rolling_smile.gif

I hated those little mesh undies. Yes bring lots of overnight pads. I bled for about 3 weeks post-partum and got my AF at about 3 or 4 months post-partum. It got pretty regular after that, but got a little messed up after Jade weaned. It's back to normal now. Another little bit of advice. If you have to go do so the minute you feel the urge. All of those muscles down there are going to be tired anf you're not going to have the control you had before the baby was born. Basically continue to do your keggles and it will get better with time.

--------------------
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie6th to 18th Ticker

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.

I've been hugged by Lisa, Kelly, Jennifer, Erika, Jimmie, Nichole, Kimberly, and Tammy. Thanks ladies!
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
Heather
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 12:25 PM
Quote Post

So nice to be back :)

Member No.: 134

QUOTE (mom2_lilred @ Sep 30 2003, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (amynicole21 @ Sep 30 2003, 11:37 AM)
  The hospital will provide you with pads and probably this weird pair of meshy underware to hold them in.   blink.gif 

OMG, I was looking in my drawers other day because I am getting new furniture so I am getting rid of what I don't need. I found a few pair of these underwear!! LOL Too funny!

Anyway, I wore regular underwear underneath the mesh. Just in case it leaked a little. I bled for almost 3 weeks too...lots of clots as well. YUCK!!

Breastfeeding does help you shrink a little faster...it was amazing, my belly was "flatter" in a few days time....

--------------------
Heather

PMAOL
DansMom
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Member No.: 223

My information is the same---three weeks of heavy bleeding after delivery, plus not the greatest control with bodily functions for a while, but that all gets better with time. I got AF six months after delivering and it's been regular since. I still BF exclusively (no formula).

--------------------
Tracy, George and Daniel (11/25/02)
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
mckayleesmom
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 02:08 PM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

I would definantly bring my own pads with wings,,,,the ones they give you at the hospital seem like they are ment to let you bleed everywhere but on the pad itself. Also I would like to let you know that even though you have a c-section you still bleed...Not saying you will have one,,,but I didn't realize that you bleen with a c-section also,,,I didn't know I was bleeding till the second day cause I wasn't allowed up. I didn't even know I had a pad for that matter....I was out of it. I would also like to add that the mesh underwear actually were a blessing to me after my c-section cause they kind of made my tummy sterdy like a gurtle...After the bandages came off was when I started to feel pain from the c-section and that was 3 days after because the pressure on my insision was all the sudden gone. Plus if you leaked in them, they were easy to wash and dried fast.

This post has been edited by mckayleesmom on Sep 30 2003, 02:11 PM

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
maestra
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 03:16 PM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

I bled for 8 weeks, but the last 3 were pretty light. I ebf and got af back at 6 mos.

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

Jamison'smama
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Member No.: 214

Lots of bleeding for a few weeks for me---I HATED the mesh underwear and just wore my maternity underwear then threw them all out after the bleeding stopped. I used the hospital pads--(since I paid for them anyway) then used my own for a while--even a liner for a while after that because the bleeding was quite slow to stop. As for my AF---12 months and she still hasn't made an appearance!!!

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
dolfinrse
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

Big Brother!

Member No.: 125

I bled a lot afterwards too. Before we went to the hospital I bought a bag of cheap cotton undies because I didn't know if they gave you any. And after I wore them and they got blood on them, I just threw them away.

--------------------
Donna
Mommy to
Zachary Taylor 4-26-03 & Madison Leigh 7/18/05

PMEmail Poster
MomofTay&Sam
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

I can fish/make fire/be your friend! :)

Member No.: 171

I bled for the entire first 6 weeks. Stopped for a few weeks and started my period. My period was so heavy the first few months I actually was very scared. I couldnt leave the house w/o bleeding thru something in a matter of mins. I know everyone is different, but that is my story. After 10 months I am back to normal. I bought the cheap undies for the hosptal too. Very good idea. smile.gif

--------------------
Mommy to two wonderful boys!

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Schnoogly
Posted: Sep 30 2003, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Todzilla!!!

Member No.: 82

Here's a tip--if you tear or need episiotomy get some tucks witch hazel pads and lay one on top of your clean pad. Aaaahhh! Feels good. Helps shrink swelling of those areas too even if you didn't need stitches.

--------------------
Steph, mom to Iain born 12/24/02 whose heart was fixed 3-20-03
Iain's page & heart story & one ^i^ 9/04
user posted image
amynicole21
Posted: Oct 1 2003, 05:23 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Member No.: 69

Another good thing for soreness down there is to soak a whole diaper in water and stick it in the freezer. Put it in your meshy undies and it will help with pain and swelling! Bulky, but you won't be moving around a whole lot anyway rolleyes.gif You can ask the nurses to bring you one... they usually have them ready-made!!

This post has been edited by amynicole21 on Oct 1 2003, 05:24 AM

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
DansMom
Posted: Oct 1 2003, 05:26 AM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Member No.: 223

I wish I had known about the frozen diaper idea! Those witch hazel pads were a godsend---really made a difference.

--------------------
Tracy, George and Daniel (11/25/02)
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Oct 1 2003, 06:06 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

I can't remember how long I bled after birth. I just remember how yucky it was and was so glad when it went away. wink.gif

I am currently nursing and didn't get AF back until she was 9 months old. That was about the time she really started taking more solid foods. Some get it back right away and some don't get it for a long time with nursing.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
3_call_me_mama
Posted: Oct 2 2003, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

Waiting for sun!

Member No.: 254

I bled for about a week and then nothing until Cameron was about 9 months old. He nurses constantly and i don't think that AF would have arrived then except that I left for 6 days on a business conference and had to pump, and apparently my body could tell the difference, becasue AF arrived less than one week after I returned home. Now it is very light about 4 days.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Oct 2 2003, 09:29 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (amynicole21 @ Oct 1 2003, 09:23 AM)
Another good thing for soreness down there is to soak a whole diaper in water and stick it in the freezer. Put it in your meshy undies and it will help with pain and swelling! Bulky, but you won't be moving around a whole lot anyway rolleyes.gif You can ask the nurses to bring you one... they usually have them ready-made!!

Our hospital had these kind-of large pads that had something in them... you shook them and then broke it open and they got really cold. I had a 4th degree tear and those things were a life saver. I don't know what they were called, but they were great.

Oh, I bled for about 3 weeks and then AF returned at 4 months. I was hoping AF would stay away longer since I was exclusively BF, but she came anyways. I think everyone is different.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
A&A'smommy
Posted: Oct 5 2003, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

Thanks ya'll!!!You girls made me feel SOOO much better and a little more secure about all this stuff!!!! I feel so blessed that i found this board with all you wonderful women on it!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0152 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]