Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Snooping in a teenagers room .., How many have done it?
Lizzie
Posted: Jun 20 2006, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,984

My oldest daughter 23 tells me everything about her life, from drinking, to partying, and just about everything, so I never worried. My son, 18 on the other hand, tells me just enough so he can get out of the house wihtout me calling a million times. My little one, 15 is a mixture of them both. I am beginning to get a little worried about my son, he is withdrawn from friends, only hanging around the girlfriend. Comes home, goes straight to his room, laptop and stero on and blasting. My younger daughter hangs around with the family for as little as possible, and then shes downstairs on the computer and on the phone for the night. On saturday nights kids are always sleeping over, usually her 3 best friends, (they basically switch weekends at whos house, friday and saturday they roate). But when the girls are over, its just up in their room. She shares a room wiht my oldest, but she is usually out with her firneds at a bar. I am beginning to wonder what goes on in my sons room, and occasionally wonder about my daughter. Shes clingly to me, whcih i posted before, but she still has a bit of a mature streak which worries me a little.

My friend suggested I go through their rooms when they arent home, I must admit I have been in my daughters room before, looking around for little things, but it was because of my oldest, around her senior year. I found pictures, I really didnt want to see. BUt my friend was like, its your house, their room is your room. I wanted to see your opinions on it. I am not sure how I feel about violating their personal space like that.

--------------------
Lizzie
wife to Mike
mother to Chris, Kev, Kate
PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Jun 20 2006, 03:57 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 822

I wouldnt do it but thats me
I always find out whats going on any way one way or the other

I would have to be in your shoes to see whats going on and what not
Sorry no help here

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
amymom
Posted: Jun 20 2006, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

The kids!!

Member No.: 1,308

I do not sneak, but my 15 yr old son knows that everything is open for my inspection. Your biggest problem (IMO) since I have been there.... is the computers in places wherer you can not see them. I am assuming they have internet access. We have a no computers in the bedrooms policy. I have a laptop, but only I use it. The main computer is in a place where I can see what is on the screen at all times. For those times when I am unable to see the computer I am monitoring it. I have access to all chats, IMs and the good old hard on the young teens... MySpace.com. I give my son just enough privacy, but hopefully not too much. Oh and my 9yr old dd has the same rules. But no IM or myspace for her, & very limited internet access.

So, if you are asking would I sneak, the answer is no. But I think (can't tell for sure) I would ask more questions and maybe let them know you are concerned about the closed doors so it is time to open them. And I wouldn't allow private computer time Until they are out on their own.

--------------------

Anne Marie
Mom to Billy & Mary Beth
Wife to Lee

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN

MommyToAshley
Posted: Jun 20 2006, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I agree with Anne on the computer only in the open area of the home where you can monitor.

I don't have teens so I can't say for sure what I would do. I would hope that I wouldn't snoop. I would try talking to them and opening up the communication. It soudns like you had that kind of relationship with your oldest. Of course, this is coming from someone that doesn't have a teen...yet.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
luvmykids
Posted: Jun 20 2006, 08:19 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

No teens yet but I would snoop under one condition: Not simply curiosity or slight concern but if I truly thought there were drugs or other problems that I simply had to know of.

I don't plan on allowing unrestricted/unsupervised access to phone/computer, etc but I do recognize that teens do need some space, freedom, and privacy. I'm hoping to achieve a balance, I like the idea of not snooping but having an unspoken rule that everything is up for inspection.

Sorry I'm no help, but I think if you as the parent who knows your children, have true cause for concern and snooping is honestly the only way to know exactly what you're dealing with, then yes, I would snoop. blush.gif
PMEmail Poster
toady_buckshot_noodle
Posted: Jun 22 2006, 08:06 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 2,603

I DO IT!!!

My oldest is 13 and I, luckily have a releationship with her in which she tells me most of what is going on in her life. But, yes I do occsionally go through her room. She uses instant messanger and yahoo and I have her passwords. The way I look at it is if she can't let me know about it then it shouldn't be going on. If she can not allow me the passwords then she loses access. I do not snoop or anything but I do periodically keep check on her.
PMEmail Poster
Bee_Kay
Posted: Jun 22 2006, 09:33 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,257

No, I don't snoop in their rooms. So far, they haven't given me reason to. Occassionally, if some of my makeup is missing or something, then I go in there and look around for MY things, or if I need something from her room. She doesn't mind at all.

If I thought I had a legitimate reason to do so, then I probably would. My parents constantly snooped through my room and I hated it because I never gave them reason to do it.

On the computer, it is different. I have their passwords for their email and chat programs.
I told them that the computer is a priviledge and if they didn't want me knowing the passwords, then I have every right to conclude that they have something to hide.
They've never had a problem with me having them.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Jun 22 2006, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

My mom always did it with me and my brother. Back then, I was totally ticked off. Looking back now, she had every reason and right to. If they have something to hide, then it's a parents job to find out. Nothing is private if it's under your roof. If they are hiding something, then it needs to be found, because if they were innocent, they wouldn't be hiding something in the first place. Just my two cents!

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Jun 22 2006, 11:37 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (amymom @ Jun 20 2006, 06:43 PM)
Your biggest problem (IMO) since I have been there.... is the computers in places wherer you can not see them. I am assuming they have internet access. We have a no computers in the bedrooms policy. I have a laptop, but only I use it. The main computer is in a place where I can see what is on the screen at all times. For those times when I am unable to see the computer I am monitoring it. I have access to all chats, IMs and the good old hard on the young teens... MySpace.com.

Totally agree! With all these predators and such out there you can never be too safe!

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
redchief
Posted: Jun 22 2006, 04:03 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

First off, no computers in the bedroom. We monitor the adolescents' computer use out of necessity.

I wouldn't snoop; I"m much to forward for that. If I suspected activity that I felt could harm them or get them arrested, I would demand entry and inspection. I believe adolescents need their privacy, so I wouldn't go into their room unless I had a very strong feeling that something wasn't right.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
mammag
Posted: Jun 22 2006, 04:56 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,050

I wouldn't unless under the most dire of circumstances and then I'd probably be more like Ed and say something like, if you're not going to tell me what's going on with you, I'm going to go through your room right now and find out.

My mil recently read Kristen's diary when we were having issues with her. I was so mad. I told Kristen that she needed to put them somewhere safe so she can't do that anymore. I think it's important for a kid to be able to keep a journal of their personal thoughts. Having a mom that went through everything, I could not do that to my own kids.

--------------------
Jeanie - SAHM to Kristen 13, Cade 12, Conner 8, Keegan 3

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Jun 22 2006, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

QUOTE (mammag @ Jun 22 2006, 08:56 PM)
I wouldn't unless under the most dire of circumstances and then I'd probably be more like Ed and say something like, if you're not going to tell me what's going on with you, I'm going to go through your room right now and find out.

My mil recently read Kristen's diary when we were having issues with her. I was so mad. I told Kristen that she needed to put them somewhere safe so she can't do that anymore. I think it's important for a kid to be able to keep a journal of their personal thoughts. Having a mom that went through everything, I could not do that to my own kids.

ITA... That was an unreasonable invasion of privacy.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Jun 23 2006, 04:19 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

I wouldn't "snoop" - they would know ahead of time. laugh.gif

Seriously... like someone sais... if they won't tell me about it, then likely it shouldn't even be going on...

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Ashlynn's Mommy
Posted: Jun 23 2006, 04:23 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 3,771

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Jun 21 2006, 12:19 AM)
I would snoop under one condition: Not simply curiosity or slight concern but if I truly thought there were drugs or other problems that I simply had to know of.

iagree.gif iagree.gif

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
PMUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN

BilCon32
Posted: Jul 11 2006, 06:15 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,272

biggrin.gif I have a 20 year old & yes I did snoop. These days you have to be careful.
You are the parent & that is your home & your job to amke sure your kids do right. Just be careful when you are going through things. My son & I are very close but kids pressure kids & no matter how close things are between you it can happen. My son is a very good kid. I did find out that he has trying cigarettes. Just be careful so they will not know.

Best wishes
BJ
PMEmail Poster
maddie223
Posted: Aug 27 2006, 01:17 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 4,382

I am very against snooping. It invades people's privacy and privacy is important for each person, even if the person is related to you.

--------------------
Charlie Maya Withers 12th/6/06 - 30th/8/06
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
PMEmail Poster
maddie223
Posted: Aug 27 2006, 01:21 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 4,382

QUOTE (Lizzie @ Jun 20 2006, 03:53 PM)
she still has a bit of a mature streak which worries me a little.

being mature shouldnt be seen as a bad thing.

Just because they arent telling you some stuff about partying and things, doesnt mean there is something going on. But dont get me wrong, there may very well be something going on! i say talk to them about it if nes.

--------------------
Charlie Maya Withers 12th/6/06 - 30th/8/06
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
PMEmail Poster
hawkshoe
Posted: Sep 9 2006, 10:28 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 4,782

My oldest is 12 and I have not yet felt the need to snoop. However, I certainly will go through his room and things if I ever even suspect anything. My kids know that their rooms/stuff is not off limits to me.

I do also agree with the others that under no circumstances will my kids have a computer with internet access in their rooms. As of right now, my son is not allowed to go in chat rooms, or IM anyone. He does have e-mail that I check regularly. I also have to approve all internet sites he goes on and have had talks with him about preditors on the net and giving out information to anyone. He knows that if I ever catch him "clicking off" of something when I walk past, he will lose his computer priveleges.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0178 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]