Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> constipation, what do i do?
MommytoTommy
Posted: May 16 2007, 09:15 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,822

my little tommy i think is quite constipated. while its always seemed hard for him to poop (and when he does its usually very smelly little pellets) even with those its a struggle for him to pass them. and lately its been really hard for him. so hard that he gets into a pushup position and grunts and grunts and cries.
i give him fruit and juice and stuff, and hes only 12 mos old! he has a doctors appt next tues, so im going to talk to her about it then, but what should i do until then? i dont know of any childrens medicine to give for constipation!
help!

~~Mel
PMEmail PosterAOL
gr33n3y3z
Posted: May 16 2007, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 822

I hope he feels better try prune juice

This post has been edited by gr33n3y3z on May 16 2007, 09:21 AM

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
Miranda1127
Posted: May 16 2007, 09:22 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 10,470

my son has the same issue. he's 9 mo and when he poos it's usually very hard. what i do (pedi instructed me to do) is t give him liquids (water mostly), like an extra 8oz bottle or 2 of just water and it makes a big difference. i also give him plenty of apples, pruns, and bannas (high fibor foods/juices)

good luck

--------------------
Miranda- mommy to 2. my big girl is 5 and my little man is 10mo
Easter Pics How cute are they?!?
PM

sunrosejenn
Posted: May 16 2007, 09:41 AM
Quote Post

Jeannette ~ Mommy 2 Eliana

Member No.: 536

juice and prunes and such never worked for Eliana. she has chronic constipation. Miralax is now over the counter. cheapest place to get it is at walmart. it's in a fushia colored bottle.

--------------------
Photobucket

PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 16 2007, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

We've dealt with this ongoing issue with our daughter...

Avoide foods that constipate... the big culprits are bananas and cheese. My daughter loves these but we have to eat them in moderation. French fries seem to really constipate my daughter as well.

Eat lots of "P" fruits (Prunes, pineapples, pears, plums, etc). Will he drink prune juice? If not, white apple grape juice is a good thing as well.

The "hot cereals" such as oatmeal are good and full of fiber.

We have a prescription for "emergencies" but seldom have to use it if we follow the dietary recommendations listed above.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
kit_kats_mom
Posted: May 16 2007, 06:37 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

Lauren is now on a daily ration of 1 cap of miralax, 2 t mineral oil and 1 fiber con tablet. With that specific formula, she will poop every day sometimes twice. Before that, she was so clogged up that she'd gotten a fissure and then it got really bad. Things have been moving well lately (pun totally intended) and we don't have to go back to the GI doc for a month. If she keeps going well, we will slow down on the meds.

Talk to your ped about miralax. I'm not sure about the age/dose for a baby but basically, what it does is reconstitues the poop making it softer and easier to pass. It's much more gentle than other laxatives and the pediatric GI said it was not habit forming.

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
Sam & Abby's Mom
Posted: May 16 2007, 08:54 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 11,125

Any idea how much dairy your son is consuming in a day ? When Sammy was about 1, he started getting constipated. Turns out it was because we were giving him WAY too much dairy. I cant remember how much is too much, though. ( I think no more than 24 oz total (total as in formula, milk, cheese,,etc) - but I'm not sure of the exact amount.)

I wouldnt wait until your appointment next week -- I'd call your pediatrician right away.

Constipation sucks -- I always feel so bad for them sad.gif

Good luck.

--------------------
Peggy
Wife to Tim (Oct 1996)
Mom to Sammy (Nov 2004), Abby (Jun 2006)
PMEmail Poster
MommytoTommy
Posted: May 17 2007, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

he drinks usually 3 bottles (sometimes 4) 6 oz bottles of milk. most of the time he doesnt even drink all of the milk in the bottle. he does eat a slice of cheese for lunch usually...but thats about it. he eats a lot of pasta. could that be doing it?
i am going to go look for that lax when i go shopping this weekend, thanks for the advice. i am also going to call his dr probably this afternoon.
im just glad hes pooping. i know its bad when hes constipated, but when he was 1 week old he wasnt pooping and that led us to take him to the dr and found out he had pyloric stinosis and had to have surgery! i hope that its not coming back..... my moms friend had to have the surgery twice.sad.gif
PMEmail PosterAOL
lovemy2
Posted: May 24 2007, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ May 16 2007, 06:37 PM)
Lauren is now on a daily ration of 1 cap of miralax, 2 t mineral oil and 1 fiber con tablet. With that specific formula, she will poop every day sometimes twice. Before that, she was so clogged up that she'd gotten a fissure and then it got really bad. Things have been moving well lately (pun totally intended) and we don't have to go back to the GI doc for a month. If she keeps going well, we will slow down on the meds.

Talk to your ped about miralax. I'm not sure about the age/dose for a baby but basically, what it does is reconstitues the poop making it softer and easier to pass. It's much more gentle than other laxatives and the pediatric GI said it was not habit forming.

At what point did you go to a GI? My daughter has chronic constipation too - has since she was about 1 1/2 - she is on miralax too - without it she goes almost everyday but they are like little rabbit terds (sorry TMI) - I am wondering at what point I should push the Ped for more investigation into it...her biggest effect from it is it hurts to go and she doesn't eat as well - probably cause she is backed up.......but I have to be careful with the miralax - if I give it everyday she gets the opposite effect....

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
MommytoTommy
Posted: May 25 2007, 08:08 AM
Quote Post

ok i dont know what i did, but now hes far from constipated! hes been pooping twice a day and has a horrible rash. i think it might be the new juice i bought for him. i got him the v8fusion juice, with fruit and veggies in it. im not sure if thats it. i feel like such a horrible mother! how could i let his bottom get this red???
PMEmail PosterAOL
ihavetwins
Posted: May 25 2007, 08:11 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 11,443

One of my four month olds Alayna was so constipated. Her doctor said to try apple juice, it helped almost immediately. Good Luck.
PMEmail Poster
lisar
Posted: May 25 2007, 08:52 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

Prune juice, prune baby food, Karo syrup in his bottle (just a little will get him going).
PMEmail Poster
Maddy'sMommy
Posted: May 25 2007, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 3,050

My dd has had consipation problems since she was only a few months old and only brestfeed. She is now also on miralax everyday. Before the doctor had Madison prescibed (it is now over the counter) to the Miralax, she had me give her mineral oil 1-3 tbs and milk of magnesia 1-3tbs as well. She had her trying that at only a few months old, although it did not work well for her.

I am trying to get the doctor to refer her to a GI doctor too, I will really push it at her next visit. I mean it can not be normal to have to take miralax everyday so that she can poop. Good luck. smile.gif

--------------------
Melissa wife to Jody, mother to Madison Jean, and ttc #2
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0166 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]