Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Boy's and Clothes
Chrisport
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,479

Am I out of line or what. Let me explain. My son is 12, almost 13 and skinny, maybe 4-11 -100 pounds. Im soooo fed up with the clothes , the baggies and stuff that last week I went out and bought him a nice pair of shorts, not baggies but perma pressed shorts tailored above the knee etc. Yes ladfes I admit I got him a pair of kneesox that matched his sport coat and on Sunday we went to a nice restaurant, just the two of us. I got all dressed and had him wear a shirt, tie dark blue sportcoat, the beige shorts and dark blue kneesox. Well he just about died, but I insisted. I wanted him to look nice and no by nice I don't mean like an old man-he's a boy. (No I didn't tell him the kneesox were girls, I couldnt find them for boys, but you cant really tell) Was I wrong. He looked so sweet and once we got there he got along fine.
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 09:46 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

I have a son the same age, and I have to say I disagree with what you did. At this age, I feel kids have a right to assert a certain amount of autonomy about their own appearance, within the confines of what is appropriate for the occasion. When it's important that my son look "neat", it is entirely possible that he do so without humiliating him with clothes he is embarassed to wear.
You may have won this battle, but you'll lose the war. Trust me, I went through this with my own parents, and the more they made an issue of my clothing choices, the more I pushed back, resented, and turned away from them.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
Chrisport
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 11:29 AM
Quote Post

Thanks for your reply. I think I know what you are saying. That's why Im having some second thoughts about it. At the same time, though, after we were at the restaurant for a while he seemed to "forget about it." So, I guess I was just hoping that maybe it was something he could get used too.
We're going to HAwaii next month, just my son and I, and Id planned on packing his outfit I also have whilte kneesox that I think would go great, but maybe Ill telk to him a little more about it. Thanks again
Chris
PMEmail Poster

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 12:32 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

QUOTE (Chrisport @ Mar 3 2005, 03:29 PM)
Thanks for your reply. I think I know what you are saying. That's why Im having some second thoughts about it. At the same time, though, after we were at the restaurant for a while he seemed to "forget about it." So, I guess I was just hoping that maybe it was something he could get used too.
We're going to HAwaii next month, just my son and I, and Id planned on packing his outfit I also have whilte kneesox that I think would go great, but maybe Ill telk to him a little more about it. Thanks again
Chris

OMG - if my parents did that to me, I'd embarass them so much they'd take me home right away!!!!

I have to agree with Jeanne that at that age, they really do care what they look like. Maybe he got "over it" becaues he realized that no-one he knoew was around? dunno.gif

In any case..... it's your choice of course, but I would be mad as heck if my parents forced me to wear certain things at 12 years old....

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Chrisport
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 01:25 PM
Quote Post

Thanks again both of you - I guess opinion is against me so far!! I promise too I'll spell better! I meant to say white not whilte kneesox!
Ok, I know I shouldn't force and you're probably right, no one knew him at the restaurant. So, my question is this. I admit Im silly and all but he looks adorable. So...without pushing him too hard, I would love to have him wear the outfit at least once for me in Hawaii. No one there knows us and I would be sure it was only for dinner at a nicer place. I know short pants and kneesox with a coat and tie isn't "usual" but he looked so sweet! I was thinking the white kneesox more because of the heat, cooler but dressy. Am I pushing too hard?
PMEmail Poster
ediep
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 01:49 PM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

my nephew is that age and he wouldn't ever wear that. he would refuse to go, I'm sure. I understand that you want him to look nice, but I don't think I'd even make my 2 year old wear knee socks, he'd definately be wearing pants with an outfit like that especially out to dinner

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
Chrisport
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 02:40 PM
Quote Post

LOL Im losing here! LOL Is anyone going to support me!!
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 03:10 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Sorry, I have to agree with the others.

But, I am glad that you are having second thoughts about it and that you have decided to talk to him about it. I hope you decide not to pack the outfit when you go to Hawaii.... and I really do hope you have that talk with him.

Now, I do agree with setting limits not allowing certain clothing that is inappropriate. I know that jeans hanging half-way down and showing their underwear is in style right now, but I would never let a child or teenager wear that. I think it is ok to enforce certain limits, but I don't think you should force a certain style on him that would embarrass him.

I am glad that you are open-minded here and have considered other opinions. thumb.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ammommy
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

Happy Easter!

Member No.: 1,117

Can you do the outfit without the kneesocks? Maybe with a nice pair of boatshoes without socks so that he can still look fashionable? Honestly, when you described the outfit, it made me think of the things they wore way back when in England...in say, the 1800's or so laugh.gif
I can understand that you are fed up with the baggy, saggy sloppy look (I'm praying that it's long gone by the time Alec is into that type of fashion), but could you find a happy medium?

--------------------
Lisa, SAHM to Megan and Alec
PMEmail Poster
loveydad
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 07:06 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

okay you got to be joking. Knee socks?

No let him chose what he waears as long as it's not really innapropriate to you. My son wears jeans and a tshirt he's never even OWNED kneesocks.
loveydad
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 07:08 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Yeah but even if the people didn't know him they'd be making fun. Sorry to say this but my OWN Child would be making fun . That's too out of date for him to wear. I mean it's a bad idea.
Chrisport
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 07:20 PM
Quote Post

Wow Quite a few replies. Well, first thank you everyone. Sexymomma I guess the problem I have is that since we'd be going to a nice restaurant, I think he'd need to wear socks of some kind. (OK, I admit I think the kneesox are sweet!) He could wear the blue blazer with a shirt and tie and with white perma press shorts maybe. I got him beige black and white-There all about 8 inches or so above the knee -I had them hemmed. WOuld the white kneesox work then or do you still think it would be a problem? SShort white ones?
PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 07:30 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

Most people don't even wear shoes in Hawaii. It's considered very dressy if you are wearing a nice pair of flip flops without blow outs. LOL I don't think I even owned a pair of socks when I lived there and I was 9-12 years old.

Seriously, he'd look like a freak in HI & probably come after you while you are asleep. Hawaii is all about casual laid back comfort. A pair of kakhi pants, leather sandals, and a nice button up top with the first few buttons open would be fine. Pick up an aloha shirt while you are there. thumb.gif

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
loveydad
Posted: Mar 3 2005, 07:36 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Dude seriously you need to give up on this blazer and nice clothes idea. He's 12! Let him wear what he wants!! DOn't make something as stupid as clothing cause a huge fight with you guys. HE's not your little toddler to dress up in cute outfits anymore he's a big boy and I'm srory but you have to let him dress (appropriately) but in the way he likes.

This post has been edited by loveydad on Mar 3 2005, 07:38 PM

Chrisport
Posted: Mar 4 2005, 04:14 AM
Quote Post

Good morning,
Thanks everyone, again.Ill try to keep checking during the day for comments.
Chris
PMEmail Poster
MomToMany
Posted: Mar 4 2005, 04:20 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I agree with the others. I have an 11 year old, and I'd NEVER make him wear something like that! He would be so humiliated!! Let him wear what he wants (within limits of course). He's too old to be dressed up like a little baby.
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Mar 4 2005, 05:21 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

My boys like to wear Nice clothes but they fit loose if you know what I mean
If I ever did that OMG lol
Now a suit they get those to fit them to a tee
But I'm glad it worked out for you this time.

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
texasp3
Posted: Mar 4 2005, 05:44 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 960

I have an almost 16 year old who would love me if I would buy him a tux so that he could wear it to school! He loves nice clothes - total clothes horse - and has one of those lean bodies on which EVERYTHING hangs perfectly. He would KILL ME if I put him in the outfits you're describing. He is taller than me and stronger than me, and I promise you, we would NOT leave the house together. And, by the way, he is a well behaved, respectful teenager (no, really, honest... they do exist). Oh, and he does wear shorts and kneesocks in public... on the soccer field! laugh.gif

Regarding kids and clothes in general... short of a wedding or funeral or following the school's clothing guidelines, I say let them wear what they want. Ditto for hair, by the way, which explains why Michael looks like Cousin It these days. Clothes and hair are just not worth fighting about... laughing about? Sure.

2cents.gif

--------------------
Marie, Mom to Gabriel (3.1.04) and Michael (6.14.89)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Chrisport
Posted: Mar 4 2005, 12:55 PM
Quote Post

Ok, well it looks like the majority is against me! Oh I have to admit Im still fishing for someone out there to say its OK. What if I ask and not insist lol? Well just trying. Thanks again though, I am really surprised by the number who responded and that's great.

Chris
PMEmail Poster
ammommy
Posted: Mar 4 2005, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Happy Easter!

Member No.: 1,117

Asking him is totally different than insisting. If you can get him to go along with it, go for it biggrin.gif
As for the sock thing, Hawaii is pretty casual so you could get away with no socks.

--------------------
Lisa, SAHM to Megan and Alec
PMEmail Poster
Chrisport
Posted: Mar 5 2005, 04:46 AM
Quote Post

Ok, Il try asking. But like I mentioned earlier, I really really would love for him to wear the kneesox as well lol so Ill start with the whole outfit and negotiate! lol
Chris
PMEmail Poster
mckayleesmom
Posted: Mar 5 2005, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

Im with the others...the outfit you described reminds me of what they were wearing in the movie..LORD OF THE FLIES.....I think you need to give up the idea of knee socks already...you are living in a fantasy world if you think that is cute on a 12 year old.

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
mckayleesmom
Posted: Mar 5 2005, 07:53 AM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

PS...the fact that you had to find the knee socks in the girls section should have tipped you off on todays youth fashion. Do you really want your son to end up in therapy over knee socks his mommy made him wear when he was 12? tongue.gif Also...I don't think that shorts and a sports jacket are all to hip either...personally I think it looks silly.

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
Boys r us
Posted: Mar 5 2005, 10:01 AM
Quote Post

Alliebelle & Mommy

Member No.: 378

okay, I don't mean to sound rude here, but my first thought and actually the only one I can even begin to comprahend is that you are joking around with us! Knee socks? Again, I'm not intending to be rude, but the reason you can find knee socks for boys and were forced to buy girl's socks is because they don't make them for boys, b/c the only males I can recall wearing knee socks are the ones in the pictures I've seen of George washington and Thomas Jefferson in their knickers and knee socks. I'm not sure where this idea came to you from but I really think it's a horrible idea to force your son to dress like that.

--------------------
NICHOLE
Wife to Rick and Mommy to my 3 loves..Tanner, Braedon and Alexandra MiaBella
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PM
Boys r us
Posted: Mar 5 2005, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

Alliebelle & Mommy

Member No.: 378

This is my 8 year old son all dressed up!!! Which he LOVED!
user posted image

--------------------
NICHOLE
Wife to Rick and Mommy to my 3 loves..Tanner, Braedon and Alexandra MiaBella
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0102 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]