Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Using Cloth Diapers
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Feb 22 2009, 05:25 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,075

We have decided that for this baby we are going to use cloth diapers!!

Does anyone or has anyone used a one size AIO that worked well for a newborn, as well as an older baby?

I really like the BumGenuis, but DH said that he isn't sure how much we would save if we had to keep buying 20 more each time the baby needed to move up a size in diapers.

EDIT: BG's are onesize. Do they work well for newborns? Or should we look into some that are "newborn" size??

--------------------
Jessica
Wife to Salvador 12.23.05
Mommy to
Isabella 8.8.06 & Isaia 1.2.08 & Ian 8.28.09
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 22 2009, 05:48 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

sorry, I am no help with AIO's. sad.gif I just experimented with pre-folds and water proof covers. ) BUT I do know that they have really cute AIO's on ETSY.com, and maybe some of the sellers would be able to help?
I am interested too, if we , I mean, WHEN we have #3 I want to use AIO's. maybe you can sell me yours. wink.gif laugh.gif
PM
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Feb 22 2009, 07:34 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

They seem so much easier to use. DH isn't one for doing all the stuffing and pulling out and all that ... which I can understand cause Im not interested in all of that either.

I would def. sell my AIO's to you when we are done smile.gif. I have been reading up on how to wash them and strip them and everything else. Is there a detergent you prefer? I was thinking of going with the ECOS. I can get it as sam's for pretty cheap and get a lot of uses out of it!

--------------------
Jessica
Mommy to
PMEmail Poster

maestra
Posted: Feb 22 2009, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

I have some thirsties aios, and they almost always leak. The thirsties also have a pocket, so I have to stuff them with hemp to make them absorbent enough. AIO's also take a long time to dry.

I love the bum genius the most- they hardly ever leak. But we use pockets instead. The stuffing only takes a second, and I do it when they come out of the wash. Then they are just like an aio. Dh has been trained to put the velcro back on the tabs and pull the insert out when throwing it in the pails. I put the tag of the insert just inside the opening to make that easier.

I use country save detergent. You can get it cheap through amazon, but you have to buy several boxes at a time.

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/hedetergentchoices.htm This site talks about the different detergents. That list is for HE washers, but if you click on diapering basics on the left, you can find the list for top loading as well.

I'm also going to be trying out sewing some of my own, but I need to brush up on some of my skills first.

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 22 2009, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

QUOTE (Mommy2Isabella @ Feb 22 2009, 10:34 AM)
They seem so much easier to use. DH isn't one for doing all the stuffing and pulling out and all that ... which I can understand cause Im not interested in all of that either.

I would def. sell my AIO's to you when we are done smile.gif. I have been reading up on how to wash them and strip them and everything else. Is there a detergent you prefer? I was thinking of going with the ECOS. I can get it as sam's for pretty cheap and get a lot of uses out of it!

I used soap nuts. 100% natural, sustainable, and compostable. thumb.gif I would just keep a 5 gal. bucket in the guest bath tub. every day I would fill it abuot 1/2 way with HOT water, sprinkle in some borax and let it sit. As I changed diapers I would just toss them in the bucket to soak. ( after dealing with the poo) wink.gif then every evening I would just take the whole bucket, dump it water and all into the washer, run it through a rinse, then wash normally. never even had to touch a nasty diaper. It really wasn't that bad. No worse than disposies.
PM
maestra
Posted: Feb 22 2009, 11:33 AM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

As for the bgs one size being good for newborns, Brian started wearing them at about a month old. Before that they tend to just be too big- and I have big babies. Brian is now 13lbs at 6 weeks, and the bgs are a nice fit now.

I know there is a mom on hyena cart that makes trimsies, under Collins Cloth Collection. Her's are aios, but because they have layers and are on the outside, they are supposed to dry faster. I've never tried them, but would like to.

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Feb 22 2009, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

We have decided to do the OS BG's ... smile.gif We ordered a two pack sample kit, and are going to try them on Isaia and see what we think before we make a huge investment of 300 + dollars on them.

The site I am going through is Kellyscloset.com , They do a fun point system that allows you to earn money back on the diapers. After 500 points you get 30 dollars smile.gif we thought that was cool!!

Can't wait to try out our Diapers once w get them in smile.gif

--------------------
Jessica
Mommy to
PMEmail Poster
3_call_me_mama
Posted: Mar 11 2009, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Waiting for sun!

Member No.: 254

we used bG! wiht Graham in teh beginnig. they weren't great for newborns, btu not too bad either. We use fitteds and wool covers for Faith (our newest baby ) and they work great. our favorite AIo's are frist class baby. but they are sized.. so you gotta buy new when they grow smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
MyBlueEyedBabies
Posted: Mar 11 2009, 01:37 PM
Quote Post

Mommy's littlest man

Member No.: 828

We used Bum Genius and liked them right up until he started taking them off....then we started liking snaps a whole lot more biggrin.gif there are moms on diaperswappers that will turn your diapers into snap diapers if that ever became an issue for you. And Johnny was a mini baby and started wearing them at 3 months....so 8 pounds and if he still needed diapers could fit now with room to spare

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0124 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]