Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Is this accurate?
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Mar 15 2007, 01:43 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,474

Is pumping really an accurate read on how much milk you are making? I've never really "checked" how much milk I'm producing. I just feed Wesley on demand and he's growing, so that's what I'm going off of. But I was just thinking about it today and thought, hey, maybe I should see what I'm really producing. I hate to pump, so I really do it maybe once every month. The last time I noticed it was around 5 ounces. But I can't remember if he had just nursed or what. I just feel a little on the low side lately, plus Wesley is starting to get up at around 4:30 am every morning for a meal, so that's what made me wonder. Could he be needing me to up his calories now that he's 9 months (remind you he doesn't get any solids)? I read that babies should be upto 24 ounces at this age, but this is for a baby that eats solids too.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: Mar 15 2007, 03:02 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

NO it's not. I was never able to pump more then 2 oz from one breast, or 3 from the other. Most of the time, I couldn't pump a thing hardly.

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
Insanemomof3
Posted: Mar 15 2007, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 117

The way i understood it is your body will generally 'keep up' with your babies needs. (Most people anyway, there are some who can't produce). 5 oz is a good amount to pump, but you gotta remember that is one pumping...not the whole day. You 'fill back up' after a bit so you can feed/pump again. If that makes any sense....

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 16 2007, 05:43 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Nope, not at all. A baby is much more effective at getting milk from the breast than any pump out there. If you want to know a better way at knowing how much milk he's taking at a feeding go see a LC. They can weigh him be4 the nursing, then have you nurse him, then weigh him after. This is a bit more accurate.

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Mar 16 2007, 05:43 AM

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
DansMom
Posted: Mar 16 2007, 06:19 AM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 223

QUOTE (CantWait @ Mar 15 2007, 06:02 PM)
NO it's not. I was never able to pump more then 2 oz from one breast, or 3 from the other. Most of the time, I couldn't pump a thing hardly.

Ditto! I'm certain Daniel got more from me than the pump. I could feel multiple "let-downs" while BF, but only could get one from the pump.

--------------------
Tracy, George and Daniel (11/25/02)
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Kirstenmumof3
Posted: Mar 16 2007, 08:22 AM
Quote Post

Calm and Tranquil!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 189

Pumping doesn't give you an accurate measure of what they are taking in while breastfeeding.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Mar 16 2007, 11:10 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

Okay, thanks ladies! We saw an OT today for Wil (speech therapy eval), so I asked her about Wesley's eating (or lack of). She didn't seem concerned, since he's so big. She thought it was great that we're BF exclusively. She said to talk to my ped and LC about it, but she thought I shouldn't worry about no solids. Yay! wink.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
blissfulecho
Posted: Mar 23 2007, 04:45 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 10,077

Just wanted to pipe in and agree with the others that pumping doesn't give you an accurate read on how much you are producing. And good for you for exclusively BFing for more than 9 months! bigtup.gif He'll let you know when he's ready for solids!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0109 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]