Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Other Mother
coasterqueen
  Posted: Feb 17 2009, 06:19 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

I wonder if this has happened to anyone else. Before I explain, I know that this is trivial, but I was a bit upset by it.

Last Friday I attended Kylie's Valentine's party at school. That evening she was supposed to do cheerleading at the half-time of the VS basketball game. I was talking to some of the other mothers as to what they were supposed to wear that night with the shirt they received. They said that black shorts was preferred, but black pants would be fine as well. I mentioned how we only had black soccer shorts and I really didn't want to spend the afternoon in town trying to find black shorts (much less even paying for something like that), but I would if needed. Another mother said she didn't want to waste the money either and that she was thinking about having her daughter wear black pants. So I said to her that I would send Kylie in black pants as well and that would be that. The mother said "great, then my daughter won't be the only one". Kylie and the other little girl were standing right by us while we were conversing and Kylie asked why she can't wear black shorts. She was afraid to be "left out". I told her that it would be hard to find black shorts this time of year and that her friend was going to wear black so she could to. She was then fine with it. The mother even said something to me before we left the party that yes, both girls were going to wear black pants. I told her yep.

SO......we get to the basketball game and guess what? Her DD shows up in black shorts and yep, you guessed it. I held up my end of the deal and made Kylie wear black pants. I was so mad. Well not steaming mad, but was very upset when Kylie looked over at me and said "mommy, she's wearing shorts. You told me she was wearing pants and now I'm left out". bawling.gif growl.gif THANKFULLY, there were other girls who were wearing black pants. I was so upset, though, because it made me look like I was the bad guy to my DD. She understood, though.

Why do people do that? I was the one being kind by saying Kylie would wear black pants because I could tell the lady really didn't have the $$ to go get some and was worried about it.

I know the whole thing sounds silly and really is no big deal, but that mother made me growl.gif at the time. If I told someone something and even if Kylie would have begged me to wear shorts after the fact, I would have simply told her we already made an agreement with someone and that is that.

Ah, oh well. happy.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
msoulz
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 07:10 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

I would have been irritate also. Like you said, not the end of the world but still not cool!!

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 07:26 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (msoulz @ Feb 17 2009, 10:10 AM)
I would have been irritate also. Like you said, not the end of the world but still not cool!!

I guess I would have thought she would have called me, at least and say "hey, DD changed her mind and we got shorts so if Kylie wants to do the same, fine". KWIM? Again, all trivial, but I was trying to be nice and well, the situation would have been sad for Kylie if she was the only one wearing black pants. happy.gif blush.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

msoulz
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 08:13 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Feb 17 2009, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (msoulz @ Feb 17 2009, 10:10 AM)
I would have been irritate also.  Like you said, not the end of the world but still not cool!!

I guess I would have thought she would have called me, at least and say "hey, DD changed her mind and we got shorts so if Kylie wants to do the same, fine". KWIM? Again, all trivial, but I was trying to be nice and well, the situation would have been sad for Kylie if she was the only one wearing black pants. happy.gif blush.gif

ITA - kids are sensitive to "fitting in". Now as adults we realize it's no big deal to fit in but that is an adult perspective and it would have been nice to remember the kid perspective.

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0203 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]