Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Preschool, preK, what and when
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 30 2006, 10:21 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,038

The twins will be 4 on March 1, meaning they go to kindergarten in about a year and a half. They're very smart (of course, aren't they all lol) and seem to be right with or ahead of other kids their age, so I think I'm doing ok teaching them the basics.

But what's the dif btwn preschool and prek? And are they supposed to have been in preschool a certain amount of time before kindergarten, like I should have them in it NOW? Even though they know counting, colors, ABC's, etc.?
PMEmail Poster
ammommy
Posted: Jan 31 2006, 04:49 AM
Quote Post

Happy Easter!

Member No.: 1,117

4yo preschool in our area is also called Pre-K. I don't know if technically there is a difference, but we use the terms interchangably. Preschool is a matter of preferance, I think, but I sent Alec this year to the 3yo program and will send Megan next year, too. It has taught him how to listen to adults other than his parents and how to get along with other children. Next year they focus on Kindergarten readiness like writing, using scissors, and more restrictive schedules. He's OK with the first two, but the last should be interesting rolleyes.gif

I say look into programs in your area if you are interested. You will know if you find one that's for you. Do it soon, though, because registration has probably started. It closes here in mid-February.

--------------------
Lisa, SAHM to Megan and Alec
PMEmail Poster
ediep
Posted: Jan 31 2006, 05:00 AM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 81

I agree with Lisa....most kids do go to preschool or pre-K so when they arrive in kindergarden at age 5, the ones who didn't go may be a little behind the others...Its not really fair since most preschools, at least in our area, are private and cost a lot of $$$. My nephew is going through this right now....he didn't go to preschool because it cost too much and when he got to kinder he was behind in a lot of skills.

anyway, I'm getting off topic.....Look into preschool in your area, you may be able to register the kids for a summer camp program at the school and pre K next year if you want

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo

MamaJAM
Posted: Jan 31 2006, 06:08 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,880

From what I've seen - preschools are generally shorter or less days per week....pre-K programs are longer.
My 2 older girls went to a preschool/nursery school for the year right before heading to kindergarten. They went 2 days per week for 2.5 hours at a time. That worked well for them.....they worked on the 'basics' (though we had already done all of that at home). They were both more-than-ready for kindergarten the following year. And we had done more work at home on our own to keep them challenged.
My youngest DD attended the pre-K class at the same school her sisters were in elementary school at. We had changed the school the older girls went to - and wanted her in the pre-K program there. She attended 5 days per week from 8:30am-2:00pm.....it was the best thing for her. The teacher was (and is) awesome....DD#3 is an 'active' child, shall we say, and she needed the structure in the longer day at this school. She did great with it. The pre-K also went further with educating the kids....not only did they start learning how to read in English and work on beginning math....but they all knew the Hebrew alphabet (and how to write it) as well as tons of Hebrew words and a bunch of prayers. We're planning to put DS#1 in the same pre-K this coming fall....and DS#2 the following year.

I don't think any schools 'require' preschool/pre-K to enter kindergarten when they are old enough. Though depending on your children - you might want them to be around other kids and learn how to work with kids they aren't related to, etc -- therefore some type of schooling before kindergarten would be nice. (That actually the only reason our 2 older girls attended any type of preschool....to learn how to behave in a classtoom).
PM
MommyToAshley
Posted: Jan 31 2006, 07:51 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I use the term preschool and pre-k interchangeably. I didn't realize there is a difference.

Anyways, I am sending my daughter to preschool for two years. At age 3 (now) she goes two days a week for 2.5 hours. Next year, at age 4, she will go 3 days a week. Then she will start kindergarten at age 5.

Before preschool started, DH and I talked and we both thought that she didn't really need preschool because she already knew most the stuff on the list to get into kindergarten (except how to tie her shoes). We sent her for the social interaction. And, I have to admit, I am glad we sent her. She has learned so much... most of which can't be taught at home. I'm glad we decided to send her and she absolutely LOVES it.

I'd recommend looking into preschools in your area. If cost is a problem, I think most preschools offer some sort of assitance.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Jan 31 2006, 08:40 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 235

Preschool here is a lot different than pre-K. wink.gif Pre-K is 5 days a week for 5 hours a day and preschool is only 2-3 days a week. Maddie went to preschool for 3 years and Ethan will go to preschool for 2 years (starting at age 2) and we hope to send him to pre-K at Maddie's school.

It is not required and don't feel any pressure to send your children. Each family sends their kids for different reasons. wink.gif I'm doing so more for the social interaction (which really helped Maddie and I hope it does the same for Ethan) and to give me some time...like mother's day out.

It won't hurt them either way. Most people here start their kids in preschool at 2 and I'm glad I sent my kids that early b/c I underestimated what they would be learning in kindergarten. blink.gif But, that could be isolated to Maddie's school, kwim?
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 31 2006, 02:45 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Maddie&EthansMom @ Jan 31 2006, 08:40 AM)

It is not required and don't feel any pressure to send your children. Each family sends their kids for different reasons. wink.gif I'm doing so more for the social interaction (which really helped Maddie and I hope it does the same for Ethan) and to give me some time...like mother's day out.

Thanks, you've all given me a lot to think about. They were in daycare P/T for about a year and have interaction at church and moms day out. I think I do need to get them involved in something a little more "schooly" though. They're smart cookies and I underestimate what they're capable of learning all the time. And if I need "mom time" they may as well be learning more than just being entertained.
PMEmail Poster
Cece00
Posted: Feb 2 2006, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,100

QUOTE (Maddie&EthansMom @ Jan 31 2006, 08:40 AM)
Preschool here is a lot different than pre-K. wink.gif Pre-K is 5 days a week for 5 hours a day and preschool is only 2-3 days a week. Maddie went to preschool for 3 years and Ethan will go to preschool for 2 years (starting at age 2) and we hope to send him to pre-K at Maddie's school.

This is right on.

Here, Pre-K is not required at this point but its HIGHLY recommended. I would say children could be (in my area) at a slight to signifigant disadvantage (depending on their intelligence level and how much their parents work with them) if they do not attend Pre-K or some form of preschool.

Its very important in my state, and in my city, because my state has a pretty crappy education record. This is mostly b/c we have a LOT of small towns with poor education systems and in some areas, very bad schools for elementary.

Anyway, in my city there is actually a (public) Montessori Pre-K. Its 40-something Pre-k classes in the entire school, no other grades @ all. Children who are 4-5 go there (my son who will be 5 in Oct will attend Pre-K in August, as he misses the cutoff by 9 days) and then go to the schools in their district.

Private schools offer Pre-K a their school in addition to K-8.

--------------------
Crystal

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Feb 2 2006, 09:45 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

So if they're going to be 4 on March 1, they would start Kindergarden a year from this school year, right? So in the next 18 mos. (approx) should I be looking for preschool or preK?
PMEmail Poster
MamaJAM
Posted: Feb 3 2006, 05:33 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,880

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Feb 3 2006, 12:45 AM)
So if they're going to be 4 on March 1, they would start Kindergarden a year from this school year, right?  So in the next 18 mos. (approx) should I be looking for preschool or preK?

Yes - the most likely time to start Kindergarten is the fall after turning 5 -- depending on where you live the actual cut-off date changes (in our kids' school they need to be 5 by Oct 1 to start Kindergarten).
Assuming your DDs would attend Kindergarten when they're 5 -- they'd start K in fall of 2007....if you want to do preschool or pre-K - they'd start this fall.

This post has been edited by MamaJAM on Feb 3 2006, 05:34 AM
PM
blue72
Posted: Feb 6 2006, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,231

In my experience, children do not learn much in 3 yr old preschool. It is good for social interaction. 4 yr old preschool they do learn more and they continue to work on social skills. Pre-K in my area is for 5 yr olds that were not sent to Kindergarten. It is 3 days a week and the kids go ALL day.
PMEmail Poster
LovinMyGirls
Posted: Feb 19 2006, 07:47 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,235

Yes you should start looking to enroll them in a pre-school program as they will be 4 soon. Good Luck..they will love it!

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0169 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]