Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> to VBAC or CBAC, that is the question
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 13 2008, 06:14 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,561

QUOTE (willsmama @ Sep 13 2008, 08:58 AM)

Anyway, do you think that makes me a bad mother/person, not wanting to just leave it to nature?

that is an unfair question. We all do what is best for our families and our specific situations. It isn't the choice I would make, but that doesn't mean it isn't right for you. Follow your heart and don't pay attention to what anyone else thinks.

Have you talked to the hospital about the cost of some of those medications? that might influence your decision a little.
PM
my2monkeyboys
Posted: Sep 13 2008, 07:26 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,245

They haven't given me a broken-down list of costs, just an overall cost for each, going by the typical course of delivery and a certain number of days stay at the hospital.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 13 2008, 01:14 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

QUOTE (willsmama @ Sep 13 2008, 10:26 AM)
They haven't given me a broken-down list of costs, just an overall cost for each, going by the typical course of delivery and a certain number of days stay at the hospital.

Med can be really really expensive. I know that here a epi is $1000 just for meds, then you have to pay for the Dr who comes to place it. Its one of the reasons I didn't use one. Thats a TON of $. ohmy.gif Even the tylenol they gave us for afterward was 4x more than it should have been. rolleyes.gif I have no idea what pitosin is going to cost, but if you have a CS, the you would have to pay for an epi and all that any, it would be non optional. dunno.gif
PM

boyohboyohboy
Posted: Sep 13 2008, 04:06 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

QUOTE (willsmama @ Sep 13 2008, 09:58 AM)
Ok, I've really been thinking about this hard over the last couple of days, and I think I've decided to do an induced labor. I've based this decision on the facts that my DH works slightly out of town a lot (he drives his truck on average about a 5 hour one-way drive from here) and my closest family that could take Will on a moment's notice if I were to go into labor is still 20 min away. I just keep thinking, what if I start labor and DH is still down in Florida, up to 4-5 hours away. I'd have to get Will, me and our stuff together, take Will to the family and hope DH got to the hospital on time.
I just don't think I could take the stress of that. If DH worked close by it wouldn't be a big deal, but he doesn't and that's the biggest problem I see with just letting labor happen naturally.
Now, in inducing labor, I'm not sure how much that would effect the success of a VBAC, or if I should just plan a c-section. Either way is fine with me physically/mentally, though of course a successful VBAC would be a lot less cost. Of course, if I tried a VBAC and ended up with a c-section, the cost would be greater that just a straight forward c-section (I still haven't found out if my ins will cover the emergency c-section or not).
Anyway, do you think that makes me a bad mother/person, not wanting to just leave it to nature?

stephanie, only you know what is right for you. I totally agree with your line of thinking, that you are in a tough situation with dh away and wil to think of.
I would ask the dr, and does your dr office have just one dr or do they have several together? maybe you could ask for all their opinions on your case just to make you feel better.
honestly no one can really know what is going to happen, not the drs even, its possible you can do the vbac with no problems and no meds..i think that if you talk to your dr and tell them what you want and what your fears are, and that money is a huge factor here, because lets face it, it is for all of us, then you can come up with a plan for almost any situation to take the stress off you and the dr really, he will want to do what is best, and not put you or the baby at risk.
I would just try not to keep focusing on all the bad things, or the money and enjoy the rest of the preg. as much as you can..and let what happens happen.
thats easier said then done, I know. but in the end if you have a large bill, you pay it off one dollar at a time, and they will wait for that as long as you pay something each month, we have been there...it will be ok.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
my2monkeyboys
Posted: Sep 14 2008, 05:42 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,245

Thanks for the encouragement. I think once I am able to talk to my doctor more in depth I'll have a clearer mind about all of this (I'm hoping, anyway!). As for the bills we're trying to just not worry about them, bc as you said, we can make payments to them, even if it means Waylon will be 5 before they're paid off. At least I know that's one thing they can't repossess! tongue.gif
Regardless of how I end up delivering, I plan on taking plenty of tylenol, motrin and pads with me, that way I'll use less of theirs. Anything I can buy at Walmart will be in my suitcase at the hospital. smile.gif I can't stand the idea of spending $4 on one pill when I can buy 100 for that much! I know the hospital staff frowns on that, but they can't force me to fill their prescriptions.
I also know that this time I'll be less inclined to just sit around the hospital until they are ready to release me. If I ended up having an easy delivery (meaning, no big complications) then I'll be ready to leave the moment the dr. says I'm ok. There are too many women I know who've birthed kids and went home that next morning as soon as her and the baby checked out fine. I don't plan on spending any more time there than I have to.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Nina J
Posted: Sep 14 2008, 05:55 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

I don't think it makes you a bad mother for not wanting to leave it up to nature. It's obvious, judging from your posts, that you care a lot about your baby and your birth.

No one is a bad mother for having a c-section. It is a choice we all make; some people have c-sections because they are frightened at the prospect of a vaginal delivery. I am frightened of c-sections, so I would avoid them unless it were necessary.

Either way, in the end all that matters is that you have a healthy, happy baby who arrives safe. Whether they get here by c-section, or by a vaginal delivery, it doesn't really matter as long as they're healthy.

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0128 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]