Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Question, Cursive
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Feb 10 2006, 12:34 PM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

when are your kids learing this? I seem to remember learing it like around the 3rd grade, and while talking to my co-worker her DIL teaches 4th and they are not teaching it, so I called my nephew and he is still learning it in 5th grade.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
MyLuvBugs
Posted: Feb 10 2006, 12:36 PM
Quote Post

myluvbugs was here...

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,471

My Mom was my 3rd and 4th grade teacher,and that was one of her subjects. I hated it. smile.gif

--------------------
Erika

Momma to Lorelei & Lexi
Wife to Steven
PMUsers Website
kimberley
Posted: Feb 10 2006, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

i started in 3rd grade but Jacob and James started in grade 2!

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

booey2
Posted: Feb 10 2006, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 101

Matthew really wants to do it but according to his teacher the catholic board here isn't doing it til the end of grade 3. He will probably writing cursive before they actually get to teach it because he has some practice books at home and he loves it.

--------------------
Terri

He is in a happier place.
PMEmail PosterMSN
TANNER'S MOM
Posted: Feb 10 2006, 01:11 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 824

For all of my kids.. 3rd grade so far

But I have another question... who writes in complete cursive now? I know my handwriting as all my kids is a mixture of both..

--------------------
PM
kimberley
Posted: Feb 10 2006, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

QUOTE (booey2 @ Feb 10 2006, 04:10 PM)
Matthew really wants to do it but according to his teacher the catholic board here isn't doing it til the end of grade 3. He will probably writing cursive before they actually get to teach it because he has some practice books at home and he loves it.

ok that is weird because we are both part of the TCDSB. why is your curriculum different?? hmm.. gonna have to investigate that one.

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
BAC'sMom
Posted: Feb 10 2006, 01:51 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

When my oldest son started school we put in private school. He was writing in cursive @ 5! I know it blew mind too! Now that we have him in public school they start writing in cursive in 3rd grade. Have to admit he beautiful handwriting thumb.gif
jcc64
Posted: Feb 10 2006, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Our school district teaches cursive in 2nd grade. I think it's a total waste of time. The kids should be learning keyboarding instead, imo. Who writes long hand anymore???

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
amymom
Posted: Feb 10 2006, 03:10 PM
Quote Post

The kids!!

Member No.: 1,308

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Feb 10 2006, 04:54 PM)
Our school district teaches cursive in 2nd grade. I think it's a total waste of time. The kids should be learning keyboarding instead, imo. Who writes long hand anymore???

How true this is!!!

I learned in 2nd grade but that was eons ago. My son was taught in 2nd grade also. He was required to use it in 3rd grade.

My dd switched schools after 1st grade, Her new school teaches 'pre-cursive' in 1st grade and then they touch on cursive in 2nd, but now in 3rd grade they are learning all the mechanics. They just began this Feb. 1st. She (dd) tells me they will HAVE to use cursive in 4th grade.

BTW: My dd is learning keyboarding two days per week. She can type 18 WPM and tells me others are faster than her in her class.

This post has been edited by amymom on Feb 10 2006, 03:11 PM

--------------------

Anne Marie
Mom to Billy & Mary Beth
Wife to Lee

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
5littleladies
Posted: Feb 10 2006, 03:15 PM
Quote Post

Lissie

Member No.: 116

My kids will start learning cursive in the 3rd grade with the cirriculum we use, however, I also intend to teach them to write using italics which is more of a blend of cursive and printing-more of what normal people seem to use nowadays. I will be starting that with Madeline this year and she is in 2nd.

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
booey2
Posted: Feb 10 2006, 06:15 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 101

QUOTE (kimberley @ Feb 10 2006, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (booey2 @ Feb 10 2006, 04:10 PM)
Matthew really wants to do it but according to his teacher the catholic board here isn't doing it til the end of grade 3.  He will probably writing cursive before they actually get to teach it because he has some practice books at home and he loves it.

ok that is weird because we are both part of the TCDSB. why is your curriculum different?? hmm.. gonna have to investigate that one.

dunno.gif dunno.gif Not sure, I just remember his teacher mentioning that last weekend when we was here for Matthew's piano lesson and Matthew had to re-write a lot of his theory stuff because it was sloppy. He really needs to slow down when he prints cus he's got some neat writing.

--------------------
Terri

He is in a happier place.
PMEmail PosterMSN
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Feb 10 2006, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

QUOTE (TANNER'S MOM @ Feb 10 2006, 04:11 PM)
For all of my kids.. 3rd grade so far

But I have another question... who writes in complete cursive now? I know my handwriting as all my kids is a mixture of both..

Mine is the exact same way.

I learned it in 2nd grade. My nephew who is in 2nd is just starting - they don't finish learning it until 3rd grade anymore around here.

The kids should be learning keyboarding instead, imo. Who writes long hand anymore???

I agree that they should definately learn keyboarding - but I think cursive writing is important too. IMO they should teach them both.
PMEmail Poster
MamaJAM
Posted: Feb 11 2006, 07:32 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,880

My oldest DD learned it in 3rd grade.....but when she switched schools in 5th - the teachers didn't insist the kids use it (so she never does....she's in 8th grade now).
DD#2 is in 4th grade and is learning it now -- though the teacher doesn't make them use it (her best friend who transferred to a different school this year says thay have to use it for everything).

The funny thing is - the kids at the school start learning Hebrew cursive in 1st grade and that's all they use from then on.

My handwriting is a combo of cursive and printing.
PM
PhiMuMommy
Posted: Feb 11 2006, 11:58 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 2,835

my nephew is in 3rd and he is learning it. it seems really strange that the school is teaching it soo late. maybe you could start it at home and then your kid will be ahead of the game later??

--------------------
PMEmail PosterAOL

mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Feb 15 2006, 06:41 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

At our catholic school it is introduced in grade 2 and taught in earnest in grade 3.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Feb 15 2006, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Feb 10 2006, 04:54 PM)

They teach keyboarding in Kindergarten, I just found out at new student/parent orientation. wink.gif

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
LovinMyGirls
Posted: Feb 19 2006, 07:43 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,235

It starts around 2-3 grade here.

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0151 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]