Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Wakes up
Emilysmom_709
  Posted: Jan 29 2005, 08:22 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,303

I have a 21 Month old and she has a habit of falling asleep on the couch watching T.V so I put her in her crib and in the middle of the night she wakes up and wants to go back on the couch and suggestions that i can try to get her out of that habit?
thanks

--------------------
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker
PMEmail Poster
loveydad
Posted: Jan 29 2005, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Well I shouldn't be one to talk but she probably needs to fall asleep in her crib at night. I know my kids (even my 17 year old) would rather sleep on the couch. It makes them feel safe for unknown reasons.

My kids have tvs in their rooms (bad daddy!!) that they got from relatives for birthdays. They're allowed to watch one movie on weekends before bed. I know that it's not really a great idea for them to watch tv before bed, but they usually fall asleep during or right after the movie just fine. Since they're already in bed it's fine. But that's not the best practice. What I"m saying is, I know it's hard and you're not alone!

I hope everyone else has better advice. I think I just winded myself.
ediep
Posted: Feb 3 2005, 06:20 PM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 81

I agree with lovey dad that your ebst bet may be to get her to fall asleep in her crib. I am sure that it easier said than done, right?

Good luck

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo

Emilysmom_709
Posted: Feb 5 2005, 09:15 AM
Quote Post

yeah but i can try it anyways thanks guys

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
mommy
Posted: Feb 5 2005, 03:18 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,326

That is some good advice. I for one did not sleep in my room until I was in the 8th grade. One reason that i slept in the living room was that I needed noise when I sent to sleep and when I went into my room it was too quiet and my mind starting thinking that I was hearing things. Another reason that I slept in the living room was because my room was on the whole other side of the house. Maybe you could get her into a bigger bed and maybe ly down with her until she goes to sleep that is one thing that my mother tried with me and it sometimes work. But even as a 21 year old I still love sleeping in the living room rather then in my room with my hubby I guess it is just a habit...
PMEmail Poster
atlantamomof2
Posted: Feb 5 2005, 03:51 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 1,138

Maggie fell asleep in my DH's arms on the couch watching one of two Sesame Street videos as a toddler. That lasted until about 15 months. At that point I didn't want the t.v. putting her to sleep anymore so I rocked her in her room until she fell asleep (which surprisingly only took a few minutes because she felt secure, I'm guessing). After a few weeks of that I put her in her crib and layed on a cot next to her and held her hand. Then a few more weeks later I left the door open and stayed in the livingroom (closest to her room) and she would repeatedly call out and ask me an off-the-wall question or say "I love you" just to check where I was. Eventually the insecurity stopped and she began easily going to sleep in her own bed in her own room without me. Then at that point she was weaned from the pacifier and she did great.

I think if you want to make it as easy as possible for the CHILD it takes a while of transition, but for me it was worth it. She never "cried it out" which I disagree with (although for certain curcumstances I can understand why a parent might choose to do such).

This is just my experience, hope it helps.
Good luck! wub.gif

--------------------
~Valerie...Wife, Mother, Teacher~
Maggie (04-10-2000) Joshua (12-24-2003)

Before going to bed, give your troubles to God.
He'll be up all night anyway.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
PMEmail Poster
Alice
Posted: Feb 5 2005, 06:16 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 574

If it's the noise she wants, maybe you could find her a crib toy and teach her to hit the button to turn on the music. I don't have a particular one in mind, but I know they're out there.

Or either a real or the Fisher Price (I think) aquarium-- maybe the sound of that would be enough to soothe her without waking anyone else up.

--------------------
Alice
wife to Peter
mom to Brian (6-18-98)
Julia (2-17-00)
Kira (2-04-03)
PMEmail Poster
Emilysmom_709
Posted: Feb 6 2005, 06:25 AM
Quote Post

Fisher Price (I think) aquarium I have one of those actually I will try all of your suggestion.. I was thinking of buying her a bigger bed and lying next to her until she falls asleep thank you so much. biggrin.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
MommyXsTwo
Posted: Feb 14 2005, 02:40 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,398

I know, I myself, would rather sleep on the couch in front of a TV, too. I do agree that it is more comforting for them. But, maybe to get her out of the habit, you should put her in her crib to fall asleep. If it is noise that makes her more comfortable, then maybe you could put a radio or something in there to help her fall asleep. Maybe even a small TV? I am not sure if this will help, but you could possibly try it. wink.gif
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0283 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]