Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> I need help, thrush
Nathansmom
Posted: Apr 4 2007, 10:53 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,405

Hi,
I know I don't post here a lot, but I know there are several of you who have battled thrush. I believe that my new son, Ryan might have thrush, and I might too. He has a white coating on his tongue and it doesn't wipe off. I have really sore, cracked nipples and they were fine until a couple of days ago.

What are some of the symptoms and how can we treat it. I know I can go to the pedi, but I was hoping for some quick help before I can get in to see her.

Thanks!!!

--------------------
Sheila, Mom to Nathan and Ryan

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Apr 4 2007, 11:21 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Okay. Since you have cracked nipples, it's entirely possible that you have thrush. In Since there is so much good information on thrush on this site. I'm going to give you a webpage to read through instead of re-posting it all here. Hope you don't mind. blush.gif I'd be glad to answer any and all questions as well.

There are lots of home remedies on that website to try, and I encourage that. If all these remedies fail, then I'd get a diflucan script from your doctor. As far as treating the baby you can use the home remedies on that page. IF you go to your ped, please do not use the nystatin script you will probably get. That stuff breeds thrush and is not helpful at all.

Hang in there! hug.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Apr 4 2007, 11:31 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

it sounds to me like you have it. When I had it My daughter had irregular white patches on the insides of her cheeks, and my Nips got really sore when. It would hurt so bad when she nursed. They were also super super itchy. I have heard other people say that it feels like Shards of glass are comming out when they are nursing.
I always used Gentian violet which you can get over the counter, but you have to ask the pharmacist for it. I would swab a little in my daughters mouth (with a q-tip) once a day for 3 days and it would clear right up. I also swabbed it on my nips.
The stuff is super messy and stains really bad tho. If you baby spits up and it gets on your carpet it will stain. It will stain every outfit you put him in, and your bedding, plus your clothes, so you should put him in old clothes, and put an old blanket over his bedding.

Oh, then after all that, boil every passifier, bottle and toy that you can, and wash his clothes and other toys in hot water.

This is my daughter with her Gentian violet.

user posted image

HTH! Thrush sucks. Good luck!
PM

PrairieMom
Posted: Apr 4 2007, 11:33 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Apr 4 2007, 02:21 PM)
please do not use the nystatin script you will probably get. That stuff breeds thrush and is not helpful at all.

iagree.gif iagree.gif iagree.gif iagree.gif iagree.gif iagree.gif iagree.gif

Its a PITA to give, is messy, you have to do it for so long, and it has never worked for us. I tried it 4 times between my 2 kids.
PM
PrairieMom
Posted: Apr 4 2007, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Karen, I was wondering which one of us was going to post first. rolling_smile.gif you posed while I was posting. laugh.gif
PM
lisar
Posted: Apr 4 2007, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Apr 4 2007, 02:31 PM)
it sounds to me like you have it. When I had it My daughter had irregular white patches on the insides of her cheeks, and my Nips got really sore when. It would hurt so bad when she nursed. They were also super super itchy. I have heard other people say that it feels like Shards of glass are comming out when they are nursing.
I always used Gentian violet which you can get over the counter, but you have to ask the pharmacist for it. I would swab a little in my daughters mouth (with a q-tip) once a day for 3 days and it would clear right up. I also swabbed it on my nips.
The stuff is super messy and stains really bad tho. If you baby spits up and it gets on your carpet it will stain. It will stain every outfit you put him in, and your bedding, plus your clothes, so you should put him in old clothes, and put an old blanket over his bedding.

Oh, then after all that, boil every passifier, bottle and toy that you can, and wash his clothes and other toys in hot water.

I completley agree. I didnt breast feed but both of my daughters got thrush and I had it after surgery once. It was not comfotable at all. I hated it.

Tara gave some great advice. And so did coasterqueen
PMEmail Poster
Nathansmom
Posted: Apr 4 2007, 12:32 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Thanks for responding so fast!
Yes, I feel like there are shards of glass coming out when he nurses, so I'm almost positive it's thrush.
I guess I'm going shopping for some gentian violet tonight I'm hoping we can get this gone as soon as possible.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Apr 4 2007, 01:32 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (Nathansmom @ Apr 4 2007, 03:32 PM)
Thanks for responding so fast!
Yes, I feel like there are shards of glass coming out when he nurses, so I'm almost positive it's thrush.
I guess I'm going shopping for some gentian violet tonight I'm hoping we can get this gone as soon as possible.

Good luck! I wasn't kidding when I said it was a horrible mess. ugh. dry.gif
PM
Nathansmom
Posted: Apr 4 2007, 03:35 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

I got it, now I just need to use it. I'm a bit scared of the mess, but as long as it makes the thrush go away, we can deal with purple things I guess.

Thanks again for the great advice!!!

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0112 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]