Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> To vacation or not to vacation, WWFD?
fscat
Posted: Jul 20 2010, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,084

I posted this on the General Discussion thread, but figured I'd post it here as well since I am a father and this is the spot for us - I guess.
Next month I have the chance to go on a real special trip to Spain with my mother and grandmother, to the region this part of our family originates from. Since we will be staying with relatives there, I do not have any real hotel or food costs, and I have frequent flier miles, so the airfare is not an issue either - however, my wife does not want to go because she feels it is too difficult to go with our 5 and 2 yr olds - so she has said it is ok for me to go - myself.
Which in lies the problem, I feel guilty as a husband/father to go on essentially a vacation w/o my family for 10 days to another continent, plus my wife is a big worrier, and I know I'll being putting a lot of stress on her if I do go. Plus leaving the kids at home w/ my wife while I am away. Just to clarify, I work and she stays home with the kids, so there's no added pressure there in terms picking up/dropping off at daycare, etc.
We've talked endlessly about going somewhere as a family, but neither of us can come to a consensus on anything in terms of that. She wants somewhere relatively close that we can drive to (she perceives that as easier), I wouldn't mind flying somewhere within the 48 states (she's not interested in flying with the kids). Which led to the concession of allowing me to go to Spain with my mother and grandmother. She knows I LOVE to travel and we haven't been anywhere in 3 1/2 years.
This isn't some major family drama or anything like that. Everyone I know whom I ask basically says its no big deal, only 10 days, its a one-time, once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing (my grandmother believes this is her last trip) - except the other fathers whom I work with, whom say if they were me they WOULD NOT go.
I just wanted to bounce this off some other parents who aren't friends/family and don't have that inherent bias.
Thanks.
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: Jul 21 2010, 07:21 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

Member No.: 1,368

I would go... especially since you have your wife's blessing.

Bring a computer and video chat with the kids to help the time away seem less stressful.

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
jbarefield74
Posted: Jan 17 2011, 11:58 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 23,274

go for it!!! time to relax a little bit, unwind and restart back renewed....
PMEmail Poster

luvbug00
Posted: Jan 18 2011, 08:25 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

GO! you dont pass up trips like that. If she says yup then for sure go for it!

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
kimberley
Posted: Jan 18 2011, 03:20 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 249

i agree.. go. God forbid, if something happens to your grandmother, you will regret missing this time with her if you stay. your wife will worry if you are in Spain or at the corner store if that is her nature and it sounds like she is okay with you going. phone or email often and she won't worry as much wink.gif this is an opportunity for you to share your first hand knowledge of your roots to your kids.. don't miss it! thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0111 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]