Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> composting
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

okay how does one get started? this is something I would really like to do.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 01:28 PM
Quote Post

Just a man

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,368

+1

I'd like some first hand info on this also.

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 01:44 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

The only thing I know about it is my MIL throws all scraps out in a big pit. The area also accumulates leaves, etc. She goes out there with a rake and mixes it every so often and it becomes dirt eventually. She throws peels, egg shells, etc in there. I'm not sure what you shouldn't throw in there, though.

Tara does indoor composting, if I remember correctly, with worms. I think if I did it it would definitely be outdoor composting. Can't stand the worms and we get enough of them every time it rains. tongue.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

BAC'sMom
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 03:01 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 7,486

There are a number of way to start composting. I personally use a 55 gallon drum that is horizontal on a base off the ground. But you can go binless, or make a compost pile right on the ground. You can use wire fencing, recycled wood, or use 2x4's and plywood. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive.

Here's a link on how to start, it also has what to compost and what not to compost.

http://www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/rrr/composting/

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 04:25 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

To compost all you really need is a place to put your stuff in and your stuff. Its easy.
I have been doing it for years, so I have learned a bit over time.
You want a container that has good drainage in it. I have used an old plastic kitchen garbage can in the past, just drill a bunch of holes in the bottom for the liquid to drain out. If your stuff gets to wet, thats where the stentch comes from.
You need equal parts "brown material" and "green material"
Green material is considered "wet" stuff, like kitchen scraps, and yard clippings. you can use any kitchen scraps except meat, bone and dairy. I usually just scrape our dinner plates directly into my bin. easy peasy. You can put EVERYTHING in except those 3 things.
brown material is "dry" material like news paper, office paper, and dry leaves. I just take our junk mail shred it into strips and toss that in too. the smaller pieces you break it into the faster it will bio degrade. I also rip paper board boxes up and toss those in. like cereal boxes.
If you layer your scraps Brown, green, brown, green that really helps, and once in a wile mix them around a bit with a rake or pitch fork or something.
The last thing you need for composting is heat. The process its self will create heat from the center of the pile, but if your pile is out side in the winter under snow, it will freeze and the process will stop until it warms up enough.

I also do vermi composting, which is my worm composting, which I highly recommend. It really speeds up the process. Basically its just normal composting with worms thrown into the mix. Totally now a big deal, you don't have to see them or touch them or name them or anything.
you have to use special worms called red wigglers which just look like regular worms, but they like to live in compost. Each one can eat twice its body weight in food scraps a day. Then they poo it out giving you worm "castings" which are Super organic fertilizer.

PM
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 07:25 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I forgot to add that you can also compost dryer lint and the stuff you vacuum up. I just dump everything right on in. thumb.gif Basically anything that isn't metal, stone, or plastic.
PM
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 07:29 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

okay sounds easy enough, might have to give it a go in spring.

now be honest do they smell?

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 07:44 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (Kaitlin'smom @ Feb 3 2009, 10:29 AM)
okay sounds easy enough, might have to give it a go in spring.

now be honest do they smell?

if you do it right I IT WILL NOT SMELL. but, you have to do it right, the right mix of brown and green, and not to wet. I swear. I have my worm bin in my laundry room and it does not smell.
well, it does a bit, just because I just put an onion in there, but I have closed the lid and the next time I go in there it will not smell. Trust me, if it did, it would not be in my house.

Now, when I had my garbage can composter and it didn't have the right drainage, it got to wet, and when I went to dump it out it reaked up to high heaven, BUT not until I dumped it out. I buried it in the garden and the smell was done. I was also not using brown matter in that composter. it really helps take away the smell.
PM
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

this is my worm bin when it was on my back porch for the summer. I had to bring it in so my worms wouldn't freeze this winter.

user posted image

and it moved to my basement.
user posted image

here it is opened so you can see what it looks like... WARNING.... there are worms in there... and you know, composting food, so if you don't want to see it... now is a good time to skip ahead...

user posted image

This post has been edited by PrairieMom on Feb 3 2009, 07:48 AM
PM
DVFlyer
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 08:17 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

Member No.: 1,368

Sounds easy enough..

FWIW- In the latest Costco magazine, they have a costco.com ad for Composters - 110 and 160 gallon units starting at $79.99.

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 08:22 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

so I could just get a big trash can, drill some holes in the bottem and start with that?

and Tara eeewww that looks really gross, but kinda cool at the same time

and how long till I have usable composte?

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (Kaitlin'smom @ Feb 3 2009, 11:22 AM)
so I could just get a big trash can, drill some holes in the bottem and start with that?

Depends on what you are putting in there, and how small you break it up. It takes a full season for my big garden composter to break everything down, my worms will break down a full basket in about 3 months. You can toss worms into any composter and it will speed it up by about 1/2.
PM
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (Kaitlin'smom @ Feb 3 2009, 11:22 AM)

also, make sure you put the can where it can drain and not ruin anything, like out in the yard somewhere. The drainage with stain your deck.
PM
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 09:17 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

PS - putting things like sauces, gravies, oils... can contribute to the smell. You should only be putting natural food in there. Not processed. Like if you coated your veggies with butter... cooked them.. and dumping the rest, well, you shouldn't be. tongue.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

BAC'sMom
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 09:18 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 7,486

Kaitlin'smom Posted on Feb 3 2009, 10:22 AM

Compost can be made in as little as six to eight weeks or it can take a year or more. It honestly depends on effort you put in it and if you use the hot heap or cold heap route. Since I have a producing garden all year long I go the hot heap route.

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0124 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]