Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> P90X
DVFlyer
Posted: Jul 13 2009, 12:32 PM
Quote Post

Just a man

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,368

Anyone done it?

Into my second week. Skipped a day to two here and there because of scheduling, laziness etc, but so far I like it. Very diverse workout program.

Really need to work on my diet, though.

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Jul 13 2009, 06:25 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

Have no idea what it is! What's it all about?

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Jul 13 2009, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

A few weeks ago I was having a terrible time sleeping and watched that infomercial many times laugh.gif I'm glad to hear from someone IRL doing it, it looks good to me but I'm always leery of seen on tv things.

How "fit" did you consider yourself before starting? I've wondered if beginners really can use it or if you have to be more advanced.
PMEmail Poster

A&A'smommy
Posted: Jul 14 2009, 06:59 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

I haven't tried it, I have looked into it and considered doing it, I have several friends who have tried it but didn't stick with it. tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
DVFlyer
Posted: Jul 14 2009, 07:36 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

IMO, it's like any workout program. If you stick to it, you'll see results.

The basic premise is "muscle confusion". Typically when someone works out at the gym, they do the same exercises over and over. The theory is that your body becomes used to this and, as a result, you no longer get results.

The P90X program has 12 different exercise programs. For the first few weeks, you do the 7 workouts- all different. Then, week 4 you mix it up with some new ones and it continues that way throughout the program.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being VERY fit, I would have considered myself a 4 or 5 before starting. While some of the workouts are not considered "beginner" programs, it doesn't mean a beginner can't do them- you just can't do the same things they are doing or go as long as they are.

For instance- In the Plyometrics and Ab Ripper workout, there is no way I can keep up with what they are doing. If they do 25 reps of something, I might do 10. But the idea is not to do what they do, it's to do what you can... and work up as you get more fit.

It's a minimum of 1 hour a day of working out.... that's quite a commitment.

I've seen a bit of a change already and once I get my diet cleaned up, I'm sure I will see results even more. I'm not expecting miracles (like they show on the infomercial), but results have to come when doing something for an hour a day... every day....

This post has been edited by DVFlyer on Jul 14 2009, 07:37 AM

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Jul 14 2009, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

I saw a guy on FB (one of my friends, friends LOL she had commented on it so I checked it out) anyway he had his before and after pictures and there was HUGE changed in like 3months.. that should have been motivation enough for me!! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Jul 15 2009, 10:22 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

Yeah... I hate Tony. rolleyes.gif

I'm working with a personal trainer who just did his own 2nd round of P90X.. and he gets me to do a lot of the same style of training, with modified exercises since I don't want to bulk up, but rather tone.

In April, I wasn't doing all that much but just getting a feel for the workouts.. I was only doing it twice a week.

In May, I was doing a block of 4 exercises on 2 body parts (so 8 total)... did one part, then the other part, with plenty of rest in between, 3 times a week.

In June, I was upped to 5 exercises, each on 2 body parts, but I started alternating body parts, 3 times a week

This month, I have 6.. and I do 2 blocks of 4, repeat, then the next 4, then the last 4, and still 3 times a week. Every now and then we thrown in a 100% cardio day.. with jogging, bag..

I can't even come close to keeping up with the discs... but I do 90 minutes, 3 x a week of training. I have a fair bit of results. I've just about completely lost the bump on the outer side of my thigh, my arms are a heck of a lot more toned.. and my trainer is impressed that I can do push ups like a man.. well except for the 1-handed, those I do on my knees.. but not as wide as the other girls.

I hate plyos. With a passion. I can still only do the clap plyos on my knees.

In terms of results - I've trimmed down a few inches around my thighs, i've lost 3/4 inch on my arms, and since we haven't really been working my abs until this month, I haven't really lost around my stomach - because my trainer was having me focus more on my back and shoulders to pull up some skin from my torso.. now that it's tighter, we're doing more core work, too.

In addition to having changed all the exercises I'm doing.. he's having me do most of the leg workouts with 15lb dumbells in my hands. I thought I hated him the morning after the first leg workout where he had me increase to 15lbs to hold.. but the next day I hated him even more.

I can get you more information about P90X if you like, my trainer is VERY into it. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Jul 15 2009, 11:32 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

So you get a pack of CD's to workout to? Is that right?
FOr about $200, thats not bad at all
Then you have to buy the weights etc???
I am totally interested!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: Jul 15 2009, 12:56 PM
Quote Post

Just a man

The original set includes a box of discs (13) a nutritional guide (140 pages) and some workout sheets etc.

Get the discs on ebay or craigslist. Just make sure you get "original" discs, not copies. Cost me $80.

Yes, you need to get dumbbells or bands. Small dumbbells are cheap at walmart. I just bought a pair of 60lb steel hex dumbbells and they cost $80! Hopefully I can sell them in the future and recoup most of that.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0153 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]