Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Paper towel?
Nina J
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 03:59 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,398

Do you use paper towels, disposable sponges, etc?

I used to use paper towel and sponges. A few months ago, I got some dish rags and now I only use them for the dishes, cleaning spills, everything. Although I still use toilet paper to clean the toilet seat/outside the toilet, because I like to just flush it away tongue.gif

After I do the dishes at night, I put some boiling water in the sink, a bit of eucalyptus, and some hydrogen peroxide. Let it sit then I ring the rag out, hang it up, and use it again the next day. I get a fresh one out every other day. Then just wash the dirty ones when I have a full load of towels to do.

I like them, I don't have an issue with them getting smelly. I have been trying to convert my paper towel friends to them, but they won't budge. I spent $1 on each rag and have about 10 or so, so $10 over the months is such a saving and after they're washed in the machine and dried, they look like new.

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 04:31 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

We don't use any paper products other than TP. I cut up old dish towels and other clothes for rags and use those for cleaning, and cut up some spare fabric I had lying around to use for handkerchiefs instead of Kleenexes.
PM
moped
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Mar 30 2010, 07:31 AM)
We don't use any paper products other than TP. I cut up old dish towels and other clothes for rags and use those for cleaning, and cut up some spare fabric I had lying around to use for handkerchiefs instead of Kleenexes.

No kleenex at your house??????????????? ohmy.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

PrairieMom
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 10:01 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (moped @ Mar 30 2010, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Mar 30 2010, 07:31 AM)

No kleenex at your house??????????????? ohmy.gif

thats not the worst of it. wink.gif laugh.gif
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 10:09 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

I've tried to nix the paper towel thing and my husband won't have it. happy.gif I make as many changes in our house that will be accepted by all. We don't go through paper towels very fast anyways. We use the shamwows for most spills, clean-ups, etc. and we have a lot of those with the dogs. rolleyes.gif Buster pukes at least a 1/2 dozen times a week and if I used paper towels I'd be going through them like crazy. rolleyes.gif happy.gif

And no......we will continue to use kleenex in our house. tongue.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Ok Tara, so you dont use kleenex or paper towel but you use cut up fabric, rags etc that you have to wash right? So then you are using energy to wash those items as well - so isn't it like 6 of one and half dozen of the other?

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (moped @ Mar 30 2010, 01:16 PM)
Ok Tara, so you dont use kleenex or paper towel but you use cut up fabric, rags etc that you have to wash right? So then you are using energy to wash those items as well - so isn't it like 6 of one and half dozen of the other?

I don't think so.
Its kind of like the cloth diaper Vs. disposies debate. you use more water, more energy to clean them , so they say that it comes out about even.

But, they way I look at it is that I already had the cloth that I cut up to make the handkerchiefs, so no extra resources were used. Now you just have to figure in the energy cost of washing which I am already doing, a hankie doesn't add that much. ( I line dry)

with paper products you have to figure in the trees being cut down, and the energy cost of processing, not to mention the environmental costs of the chemicals used to bleach the paper, and all that. Then there is packaging and transporting, plus then you pay for it at the store.

That is way more thought put into kleenex than need be.
rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif
PM
moped
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 11:53 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Ok, so when your kids have a cold and they pour snot - does that increase your load any?
tongue.gif
Like how many hankies would you go through if your kids all had colds?

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 12:14 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (moped @ Mar 30 2010, 02:53 PM)
Ok, so when your kids have a cold and they pour snot - does that increase your load any?
tongue.gif
Like how many hankies would you go through if your kids all had colds?

I don't know, it hasn't happened yet. Not all at once anyway. Mine still haven't figured out how to really blow.
For me, with my allergies and if I get a cold, I can go through 4 a day or so. Maybe 5. but that still isn't a significant drain on my laundry.
PM
moped
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 12:25 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

You are truly dedicated! thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 01:24 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Nina J @ Mar 30 2010, 07:59 AM)
Although I still use toilet paper to clean the toilet seat/outside the toilet, because I like to just flush it away  tongue.gif

Are paper towels safe to flush? Ed?

I use paper towels for the toilet for the same reason. I just can't convince myself that the cloth used to clean the toilet will ever truely be clean again, so I use a paper towel but throw it out.

I use old newspaper and vinegar on glass and mirros...thanks to the suggestion of someone here. Glass cleaner doesn't compare and newspaper leaves no lint!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Nina J
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 04:20 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

I don't know if paper towel's can be flushed down the toilet. I just use the toilet paper. I used to use the paper towel to clean the outside of the toilet but the toilet paper actually works better for me.

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 31 2010, 05:18 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Mar 30 2010, 04:24 PM)
Although I still use toilet paper to clean the toilet seat/outside the toilet, because I like to just flush it away  tongue.gif

I use paper towels for the toilet for the same reason. I just can't convince myself that the cloth used to clean the toilet will ever truely be clean again, so I use a paper towel but throw it out.

I use old newspaper and vinegar on glass and mirros...thanks to the suggestion of someone here. Glass cleaner doesn't compare and newspaper leaves no lint!

I'm not Ed, but I think it would be fine unless you have a septic. dunno.gif I know with a septic you have to be very careful what you flush as it can get caught on the motor and burn the motor up. We can't flush them down ours.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Mar 31 2010, 05:30 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

The results of my ultra quick internet search resulted in paper towels not being safe to flush.
They don't break down like TP is designed to do.
PM

MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 31 2010, 06:00 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Mar 31 2010, 09:30 AM)

The results of my ultra quick internet search resulted in paper towels not being safe to flush.

That's what I thought, but thanks for taking the time to look it up.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 31 2010, 06:17 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Mar 31 2010, 08:30 AM)

That does make sense now that you say that. I'm used to thinking more along septic tanks when it comes to things like that. blush.gif After looking it up on Google I was amazed at the MANY things you should not flush down the toilet. ohmy.gif I wonder how many people do not know that? I know tp is the only thing I can flush down the septic or else it will burn the motor up, but I wonder for those who live in cities where they are on sewer instead of septic.....I wonder if they know it's not safe - the many things they flush down (including kleenex)? huh.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
meenu
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 11:40 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 23,420

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Mar 30 2010, 04:31 AM)

Same here. In our country, we do not use much paper, as it will make them to cut down more and more trees. We always use cloths, which are re-usable.

More over flushing paper towels is not a good thing to do as it will damage the drainage system. nosmiley.gif
PMEmail Poster
mhsteele
Posted: Aug 12 2011, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 23,448

I am trying to cut down on paper towels, but I cant nix them completely. I use rags for cleaning, not purchased, but re purposed from old towels and T shirts.

Bar mops (like a skinny washcloth) that I do buy are my favorite for the kitchen. I like the suggestion of hot water and eucalyptus for cleaning the kitchen cloths at night.

Regarding the energy used from cleaning rags in the washing machine, if you hang them out on a line to dry, that should be 50% less energy used. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
Hopwood04
Posted: Jun 28 2013, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 24,261

There is no way I could go without paper towel with as much of it as I use. I don't see a problem with it, it is usually made form recycled product, it is biodegradable and in many cases you can buy the select a size and use a smaller piece.

--------------------
Term Life Insurance Quote
No Contact Information Needed!
[URL=www.retirementplanningstore.com/instantquote.html]My Webpage[/URL]

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0140 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]