Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Baby weight...., question
KSUWildcat
Posted: Dec 1 2009, 07:45 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,888

So I took my little girl to the pediatrician for her 6 month check up today. And they were concerned about her weight, she was only 13 lbs. 14 oz.

I was wondering what the average weight for a baby that age was. And, also, what I can do to get her up in weight. We normally feed her about 4 oz. bottles every 3-4 hours. Baby cereal in the morning, and baby food (peas, carrots, pears, etc.) at night. What (if anything) do I need to change here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
PMEmail PosterYahoo
PrairieMom
Posted: Dec 1 2009, 08:15 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

The Dr. greene sight says that 14-21 pounds is a healthy weight for boys of that age, I would assume that girls are about the same. I don't remember how much mine weighted at that age, my daughter was always well below the 10th %. I think the lowest she got was maybe the 3% and I was never urged to "fatten her up" My ped explained to me that while she was small compared to other babies, she was following her own growth curve and was developing fine. is your daughter fine in all other areas?
PM
KSUWildcat
Posted: Dec 1 2009, 08:43 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 22,888

Yeah, she's been doing just fine in every other area. She's been doing things that a 6 month old should be doing. Grabs her own bottle, grabs for toys and other things, sits up (although she's still not quite coordinated enough to sit up for a LONG time).

They did say that her head was growing faster than her body.......I don't know if that's normal or not, I always thought babies were supposed to have big heads!

But, other than all of that, she's been doing just fine.
PMEmail PosterYahoo

luvmykids
Posted: Dec 1 2009, 10:02 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (KSUWildcat @ Dec 1 2009, 11:43 PM)

They did say that her head was growing faster than her body.......I don't know if that's normal or not, I always thought babies were supposed to have big heads!

My son was like that, we still joke about how long it took his body to catch up to his head laugh.gif The doctor did keep an eye on it, and at one point we had to do an MRI but it was more to put everyone at ease towards the one year mark than anything else. I'm sure if it was of concern he would have let you know hug.gif

As far as her weight, babies range all over the scale. She'll either hit a growth spurt, or be petite. Unless your doctor is concerned, and it sounds like he isn't, I wouldn't be either.
PMEmail Poster
Cherie
Posted: Jan 2 2010, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 22,677

Both my boys were 16lbs at 6 months... so I think that sounds about average.

--------------------
Married to dh since May 25, 2002

Mommy to 2 wonderful boys.
PMEmail Poster
raven092177
Posted: Feb 3 2010, 08:41 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 22,931

we take Romma for her 6 month check up next week so i'm not sure how much she weights right now. i'm guessing though at least about 17 pounds. i know at her last check up at 4 months she was 15lbs and 1oz and was 24 inches tall. at first i thought that was big but i guess it's not. i was just used to my other two kids who were more on the smaller or average side. my oldest daughter Raina was always real small as a baby she barely made the 5% for most of her baby and toddlerhood. heck at 1 year she weighed maybe 17lbs. she didn't really start putting on much weight untill the last couple of years and i think due to puberty comming on. River my son has always been pretty average in weight and height. he tends to have a somewhat 'stocky' build. smile.gif i figure as long as they are healthy that's what matters.
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Feb 4 2010, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

My dd was barely 17 lbs at a year. Now she's 7, and still pretty tiny, but within the normal range (5%). Someone's got to be at the bottom, and as long as she's growing and hitting her developmental milestones, I wouldn't stress about it.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0137 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]