Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Pump, whats the best one?
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Aug 15 2007, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,075

I am so lost, but like I said in a previous post, I am DETERMINED. With Isabella, it was a if it works type deal and I didn't reach out for help really so this time, I am, I am already reading books and going to a support group.

Anyways, what is the best pump around??

--------------------
Jessica
Wife to Salvador 12.23.05
Mommy to
Isabella 8.8.06 & Isaia 1.2.08 & Ian 8.28.09
PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Aug 15 2007, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 822

The hospital gave me mine for free so dont jump the gun yet

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Aug 15 2007, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

OUr Hospitals aren't giving like that ... LOL!!

I think you can rent them from there, but I am not comfortable using an already used by someone else breast pump, something about it kind of weirds me out.

--------------------
Jessica
Mommy to
PMEmail Poster

PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 15 2007, 04:01 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I used a Medela pump in style, and my Lactation consultant had one too.
PM
Our Lil' Family
Posted: Aug 15 2007, 04:09 PM
Quote Post

We're a Who Dat family!

Member No.: 2,459

QUOTE (Mommy2Isabella @ Aug 15 2007, 06:55 PM)

I think you can rent them from there, but I am not comfortable using an already used by someone else breast pump, something about it kind of weirds me out.

They give you new attachments...you aren't putting anything on your body that has touched someone else's.

I second the Medela Pump in Style...$$$ but worth it!

--------------------
Naomi, Wife to Tim & Mommy to Thomas (7) and Andrew (2)
user posted image
PM
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Aug 15 2007, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

QUOTE (Mommy2Isabella @ Aug 15 2007, 07:55 PM)

mine wasnt ele. it was the kind you had to pump yourself LOL but I did have an ele. one I liked the hand pump better

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
luvmykids
Posted: Aug 15 2007, 04:39 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

With the twins I rented mine, it's no biggie. It's the actual machine you use, the tubing and everything else is brand new wink.gif They wouldn't do it if they were in any way contaminated. Your milk doesn't even go through the machine.

Anyway, the second time around I bought a Medela also....it had a really cool travel bag that made it easy to take it with me when we went on trips.

eta: I didn't start pumping until they were about two or three months old, there is a hold called the football hold that makes it really easy to nurse both at the same time, if they haven't covered it in your classes, ask about it.

This post has been edited by luvmykids on Aug 15 2007, 04:40 PM
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 06:56 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Rent!!!!!! I got a wicked one for a month - a great pump!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 07:28 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

When you are at the hospital, ask about buying one THERE. They will offer you a discount. Mine did. I got the Medela PIS Advanced with the limited edition bag for about $100 less than the retail cost. Brand new. And the LC in the hospital set it all up for me and showed me exactly how to use it, which was reallly helpful because I didn't get that service with my first baby.

WTG for your determination! You'll do fine.

This is the one I have, but my bag came in light blue and chocolate brown. I LOVE it!
PIS Advanced

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
bawoodsmall
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 13,464

With both Emily and Aiden I used a Medela Pump In Style Advanced Double Breastpump. I never had any problems. We bought it online for around $300.00 but that was 4 years ago. It was well worth it. I know some people are weird about using used or rented but all the parts are new. If you work full time you really need a good one. You must have a double also. I would look into renting one at the hospital unless yours does it for free. Ours so did not and I knew I would be using it for all of our children. Good luck. Hope you find something that works for you.

Brandy Woodsmall
BGC

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 10:53 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (bawoodsmall @ Aug 16 2007, 10:12 AM)
You must have a double also.

YES, you will totally need a double!!!!
PMEmail Poster
holley79
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

QUOTE (Mommy2Isabella @ Aug 15 2007, 06:55 PM)

I bought a used Medela PIS at a consignment store. I paid 150.00 then went to Target and bought all new tubing and horns. Never had a problem.

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Sam & Abby's Mom
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 06:51 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 11,125

I rented for the first month - medela symphony - double.

It was really good and after that first month,,,I really didnt need a pump anymore.

Good luck.

--------------------
Peggy
Wife to Tim (Oct 1996)
Mom to Sammy (Nov 2004), Abby (Jun 2006)
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 17 2007, 05:25 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Just an FYI for anyone who might be interested the only "closed" system pumps are the ones you can rent at the hospital (or buy). Medela PIS, and several others ones are considered "open" systems and even though you can buy new tubing and horns the motor is not a closed system, therefore you can in fact get diseases, etc from using a used open system pump. It is highly recommended NOT to use someone elses open system pump, especially from someone you don't know their medical history. Most people never get anything from them, but there are cases of it and it would be passed on to the infant when giving them the pumped milk.

I had a Medela PIS and LOVED the thing.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

punkeemunkee'smom
Posted: Aug 17 2007, 05:54 AM
Quote Post

It is a wonderful life!

Member No.: 2,162

The main thing to remember is the more you allow the baby(ies) to nurse, the more milk you will get. It will take a few days to get your milk to come in but just stick with it! Babies are born with enough stores to get through 3 days with no milk so even a small amount is OK! Make sure that they latch on and stay calm. (stress can inhibit let down) I am sure you will do fine wink.gif

I had a Madella pump also but didn't use it much...I also had an Isis (?) hand pump that I used more often when I had too much milk between feeding laugh.gif This post has made me realize how much I miss BFing! wub.gif rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
baby
baby development
"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life.
The Administrators and Moderators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions or offensive posts to the Moderators by using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Aug 17 2007, 06:09 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Thanks guys!!

I will probably just get a new one to avoid any of the open closed system stuff. LOL which sounds very confusing to me.

--------------------
Jessica
Mommy to
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Aug 17 2007, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

we rented the one from the hosp for a few months, only because after 10 days my milk had still not come in, and jake was not a good latcher..
so it helped to get things started, and i was able to then put some milk away too, but after that we bought a medula like everyone else has recommended at target, but honestly i hardly ever used it,...
the baby ate on demand so there was always enough supply. i might try to pump more this time just so i am not the only feeding the baby...but other wise i dont know that a pump is always needed. maybe try to rent one from the hosp first and see how much you use it..our was $50 a month.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
bawoodsmall
Posted: Aug 17 2007, 01:09 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 13,464

Geesh I did not know about the open system either. I would just buy or rent one if it were me. I would be way to paranoid.

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Aug 18 2007, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Aug 15 2007, 06:01 PM)
I used a Medela pump in style, and my Lactation consultant had one too.

That's what I used for all of the 5 days I breastfed laugh.gif , and it was AWESOME! It was a double electric!

I was bound and determined too to BF, but I do wish (knowing what I know now) that I would have rented one for the first month then went out and bought one if it was successful. Medela's are not cheap, but I will say they are worth it.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
wcs40110
Posted: Sep 3 2007, 03:28 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 5,240

Medla pump in style deffffinnnneeenntttlllyy!! I won mine but if I had to do it all over its worth it especially if you work and/or pump often.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0137 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]