Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Flat Irons
lovemy2
Posted: Mar 13 2008, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

OK so I am going to take the plunge and cut my hair - not short short or anything like that but just above my shoulders - it really needs an overhaul so - I would like to wear it straight but my hair gets really stringy looking -

My question is will a flat iron help that - I have naturally straight blah hair - what exactly does a flat iron do (other than the obvious if you have curly hair) does it do any good for someone with already straight hair tongue.gif

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Mar 13 2008, 07:22 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

I use it for frizzy hair too so it probably would help give your hair some definition, you might want to get a curling iron and use it to put just a TOUCH of wave in your hair that would really help

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
Teesa®©
Posted: Mar 13 2008, 07:59 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

If you're doing it yourself and you want a really nice cut with layers, this is what I do: put all your hair into a pony tail at the top of your head. Hold your tail up vertically and cut at the length you want. I got perfect layers with mine and when I did DD's last week, it came out great!

I took before, during and after pix of DD's hair when I was doing it. If you want to see before you do it, let me know and I'll post them.
PM

sparkys2boys
Posted: Mar 13 2008, 08:37 AM
Quote Post

Sleep, is over-rated!!!

Member No.: 6,128

A flat iron will help for sure, just make sure to get a smoothing cream to use with it to. Just dont use alot or it will make your hair very heavy and greasy. It gives your hair shine but holds the look.. kwim so where you use the iron won't go stringy but will stay more together. Am I making any sense...lol??

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Mar 13 2008, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

QUOTE (Teesa®© @ Mar 13 2008, 10:59 AM)
If you're doing it yourself and you want a really nice cut with layers, this is what I do: put all your hair into a pony tail at the top of your head. Hold your tail up vertically and cut at the length you want. I got perfect layers with mine and when I did DD's last week, it came out great!

I took before, during and after pix of DD's hair when I was doing it. If you want to see before you do it, let me know and I'll post them.

I want to see pictures of that, sounds like a great idea

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
Teesa®©
Posted: Mar 13 2008, 10:37 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Give me a few minutes and I'll get them up on my site.

Pix are up: DD's Hair Cut

I had cut off a foot of hair, but it really doesn't look like I cut off that much. I had intended it to be MUCH shorter.

At least you can't see all of my bedroom, it's a mess!! rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

This post has been edited by Teesa®© on Mar 13 2008, 10:38 AM
PM
lovemy2
Posted: Mar 13 2008, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

Holy Cow - that really did work didn't it - and I pay money for that laugh.gif Well I am still too chicken to do that - cause if I screw it up then I have to go have it fixed and next thing you know I will be bald like DH laugh.gif

Nice job though!

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
Teesa®©
Posted: Mar 13 2008, 11:18 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Thanks smile.gif

I'd been threatening to shave her head, actually, rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif She wouldn't brush it every day and the knots were destroying her hair sad.gif She used to get knots so bad - she's a chronic bed-rocker - that they'd stick out from her head almost 3-4 inches ohmy.gif

She's got that funky look on her face because she'd just looked in the mirror and saw the stump of hair sticking up and I'd asked her how she liked her new hair - she thought I was leaving it that way rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

Even though it really didn't look like I'd cut that much off, it's SO much easier for her to handle. The knots are very rare and when she does get them, they're very easy to brush out. She's very happy about her hair cut.

Now she's bugging me to dye it again tongue.gif rolleyes.gif
PM
babygenius
Posted: Mar 18 2008, 06:31 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 20,172

if you're planning to get a flat iron, get the ceramic ones coz they don't damage your hair too much.

i use flat irons to give my hair that extra shine and straightness!
PMEmail Poster
Brias3
Posted: Mar 18 2008, 07:11 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,419

I have naturally straight hair, but sometimes use a flat iron to get a stick straight and shiny style. Typically though, I end up not liking the look of my hair straightened- it looks really thinned out, since I'm not removing any curls or waviness, KWIM?

When I do straighten though, I do use a heat protectant serum or spray. One of my favorites is Sleek Look by Matrix. It doesn't weigh the hair down if applied lightly, but it helps protect and prevent flyaways and makes it nice and shiny too!

Another thing I do to help with a sleeker straight look withOUT the flatiron is apply a pinch of flattening balm to damp hair before I dry it. Goldwell has a good one for that- its called Flat Marvel.

I'd definitely say that ceramic is the only way to go though, if you are going to plan on using a flat iron. The Chi brand is waaay expensive but it works like absolute magic and it takes no time at all to do my thick hair, which with other straighteners it takes me forever.

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0170 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]