Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Yellow Pea Soup, Swedish Thursday Night Meal
supermom
Posted: Apr 21 2003, 10:51 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26

OK, here's another family favorite, but we have to have the peas sent to us because the only ones we can find are the green ones. It's from Sweden. However, I bet those of you in the bigger cities will be able to find yellow peas, especially if you are close to the Scandanavian communities, like up in Minnesota. We're too far away in Kansas, they settled in the middle of the state, not on the east side.

This recipe also freezes well, and you can eat half now and freeze the other half for later when you really don't have time to cook it. Also, it's better the second day, so we always cook it the night before. Actually, with soaking time, we start it two days ahead, cook it the night before, and eat it the next night. Kind of a pain, but definately worth it!!

Serves 6
1/2 lb yellow peas
about 1 quart of water (to start)
1 1/2 teaspoons marjoram
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
2 teaspoons salt
small onion, or 1/2 large onion, chopped fine
four 1/4" thick smoked pork chops or equivalent (ham, sausage, etc) cut into small cubes (1/4" square)

Place yellow peas, marjoram, thyme and salt in large pot, cover with water. Soak overnight, at least 8-10 hours.

Add chopped onion and smoked pork chops, bring to boil, and reduce heat, cover, but not tightly, and simmer for 3-4 hours on low heat. Add more water as necessary. As mixture thickens the last hour or so of cooking, you will need to stir it more often to prevent scorching. Cook until peas are very tender, and soup is the consistency of thin oatmeal.

Serve with mustard, and salad. Or just like it is!! Yummy!! Even Anders has always loved this one, just showing his heritage I guess!

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0141 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]