Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> so which ones did you refuse?
kimberley
  Posted: Feb 24 2006, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 249

wow, just reading all of this info on vaccines is really making me question getting any of them unsure.gif. i really don't want to start a debate but i am curious as to which vaccines anyone has refused or delayed and how long? thanks.

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 11:08 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 108

I didn't so much refuse as spread out. I won't allow any more than 2 single vax at any one time. Don't use the combo ones at all.
The only one that really freaks me out is the MMR- that one is the one that seems the most insideous, and Noah had a pretty nasty 3 day reaction to it. (almost measle like, actually) That's the only one we're missing at this point, and maybe by the time she's required to have it for kindergarten, I'll feel like she's old enough to withstand the assault on her immune system.
My boys had them all, but there were far fewer required then.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
3_call_me_mama
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Waiting for sun!

Member No.: 254

We don't do prevnar, varcellia, Hep B, DTaP and FLU
We are still researching HIB and Polio (haven't finished yet) We won't do rotovirus if it gets licensed and are not doing Hep A.
Reasons: Prevnar adn DTaP reactions
Varcellia: didn't see a need, and both kids got teh CP naturally (kathleen was very ill from it the shot didn't guarentee that she wouldnt' get it anyways. And there's no guarentee how bad you would get it if you got it)
Hep B: it's transmitted primarily through sexual contact or intervenous drug use. (NOT saying it can't occur other ways but those are teh primary ways it is transmitted) And protecting an infant form an STD seemed silly to me especially since most vaccines only work for 7 years and then require a booster of some sort. (It is just easier to vax infants becuase they are readily available.. how many adult woudl you see lining up to get a shot to prevent form an STD? Not many most won't use the protection that isn't injected to prevent against it)
FLU: I see no reason for it. The strain is constantly changing, the vaccine contains mercury and it isn't nearly as effective as they'd liek to believe.
The biggest thing for us was that the amoutn of cases that still happen despite the VAX that don't get reported affect teh results. Also injecting the stuff liek aborted fetus cells into my child just makes me want to HURL>

Cameron was full vax becaseu i hadnt' done any research. But the reactions Kat had scared me enough to look at it form both sides. The PRO and THE CON>

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN

mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 11:16 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

I'm right there with Jeanne, haven't refused any (except the flu shot), but spread them all out. Don't believe in the combos either. We are due for MMR next week and I'm going to hold off some more. Just did polio for the first time last visit (15 months), so according to my ped, we're way behind on that. But I see no harm in waiting.

As much as there are tons of studies on the web showing that there aren't any direct links to vaccines causing autism, and doctors will tell you over and over again that their vaccines are themerisol free, I am still very unsure. Freaks me out.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

With Kylie I didn't because I didn't know any better. With Megan we spread them out, too much for her little body to handle at once. She has a very low pain tolerance due to her sensitive nervous system. I did not get the FLU vac for either one, ever.

I would have denied the Chicken pox one if I had known better too, that would be the only other vax I would not do.

The MMR we will make them spread that one out doing M, M, and R.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

I did loads of research before vaxing but found most of the info to be unsubstanitated, questionally studied, conflicting conclusions, etc. We fully vaxed O on the routine schedule except for pnemonia and flu. She never had either because her exposure risk was so minimal given she's never been in any type of center based care, SAHM and my husband has a low risk for flu exposure occupation. Never saw the need for either of them. She never had any reaction to the vaxes.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
booey2
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 101

The only one we didn't do was the chicken pox, both boys got em last Christmas so it makes no sense now to get them.

--------------------
Terri

He is in a happier place.
PMEmail PosterMSN
MamaJAM
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 12:43 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,880

We do not refuse any of the 'standard' immunizations.
Though we did delay getting DS#1 the chicken pox vax for 12 months until DS#2 was old enough to get it at the same time. Since it is a live vaccine - I didn't want to risk DS#1 infecting DS#2 when he was only 3 months old.

We don't get flu shots for anyone except DS#2...and probably won't even get it for him next year since he'll be 3. He's gotten it the last 2 winters because of his resp issues (doc's call him "pre-asthmatic") and the fact that he had RSV at 3.5 months old and the flu at 4.5 months old.
PM
moped
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 12:46 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Jack has gotten all of his to date!!!!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 01:01 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

We did all the "standard" immunizations as well. But, like Jeanne, we spread them out. I did get Ashley the chicken pox shot but not the flue shot. I didn't get her the flu shot for reasons stated in the flu shot thread. There's too many different strains of the flue that go around and it's just hit or miss. And, the flue is seldom life threatening unless the person has a compromised immune system to begin with.

As for the other immunizations, I think the risks of not getting the shots far outweighs any slight risk that comes with the shots. I would hate to see the return of some of the crippling and fatal childhood diseases. I don't want to offend anyone, I am just stating my own personal opinion after doing my own research.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Sarah&Mackenzie
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 01:03 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,956

Mackenzie has had all her shots that the doctor recommends. She has had no trouble or reaction to anything. I plan on getting all the one's she needs or is recommended.

--------------------
Photobucket
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
DansMom
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 01:41 PM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Member No.: 223

I refused flu shots because of egg allergy. Daniel's had the rest. There is a case of pertussis in his preschool right now, an unvaxed girl who is really sick. The teacher got it as well and is out. I found myself kind of breathing a sigh of relief that Daniel's up to date on pertussis vaccine since it's so contagious and the coughing could be dangerous combined with his reactive airways. The public health nurse called last night wanting us to put him on a 5 day course of antibiotics just to be on the safe side, but our ped. said no to that---he's opposed to using antibiotics when no illness is present and the child has been vaccinated. I guess I'm wandering off-topic here.

I'm also most concerned about MMR. Daniel had the cluster shot with no noticeable reaction. However, now he's egg-allergic and I'll be investigating what my options are for avoiding the booster and/or having separate vaccines and only when his allergy is outgrown. If I had another child, I would spread them out and separate shots, but I would still vaccinate.

--------------------
Tracy, George and Daniel (11/25/02)
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
kimberley
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 01:47 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

thanks for all the input. i was supposed to get them done today but had to reschedule because i was working and my car is in the shop. gives me more time to think. i am leaning towards getting the prevnar and plan on discussing the rest with the ped. he gave me the impression that they would not/could not separate the 5-1 shot. i do prefer the idea of spacing them out. you guys are great.. you teach me so much from BOTH sides of the coin wink.gif hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 03:59 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

Both of my kids followed the regular immunization schedule with no reactions to any shots.

We've done flu once, but I decided after the first one that we wouldn't do it again. I don't get them myself so why would I make my children get them.

Ethan is currently behind on his immunizations..I'm guessing that's not a big deal? unsure.gif He missed his 18 month shots, but goes in this next week...I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'd hate for him to have to start over on some. yikes.
PMEmail Poster

luvbug00
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

I understand one's fear about vaccines but I have had Mya get all but chicken pox done on schdual.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Brias3
Posted: Mar 24 2006, 09:14 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,419

Same, haven't refused, spread them out instead and NO to the combos. We also have not done the chicken pox or flu vaccinations ever.

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Mar 24 2006, 09:26 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

We did the same as Jeanne. No flu (don't see need) or rotovirus (wasn't available when our kids were young). Spread them out as well as we could. None of our kids had a severe reaction to any of them.

I'm a big believer in vaccines. They're some of the big reasons for the advance in human life expectancy, the near eradication of polio, the rarity of mumps (when I was a kid everyone knew someone who had mumps every year), and the near eradication in the industrial world of rubella. Needles are scary, the reactions can sometimes be a pain, but the diseases can be deadly.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
NEWMOM05
Posted: Mar 24 2006, 10:34 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 3,294

So far Kathryn is up to date, but I won't do the flu vaccine.

--------------------
Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com

Lilypie Baby Ticker
PMEmail Poster
AlexsPajamaMama
Posted: Apr 2 2006, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,473

Alex is up to date on his vaccines, he got them at the scheduled appts.
He never had a flu shot, last year there was a shortage and I decided that since he isnt at daycare or anything like that it would be safe for him to skip it.

--------------------
Michelle~Sahm to Alex,Wife to Greg
user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
holley79
Posted: Apr 2 2006, 06:24 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

Annika is up to date but I didn't know you could spread them out. She got her 2 month and I know her 4 month is coming up. How often do they have to get shots??

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
jacobsmama
Posted: Apr 2 2006, 06:28 PM
Quote Post

KRISTI :)

Member No.: 2,060

QUOTE (jenhopkins2000 @ Mar 2 2006, 03:46 PM)
Jack has gotten all of his to date!!!!

Jacob too. tongue.gif

--------------------

Mother to Jacob & Conner. Wife to Loren
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
5littleladies
Posted: Apr 2 2006, 07:00 PM
Quote Post

Lissie

Member No.: 116

Aside from always running late rolleyes.gif we get all of our shots on schedule. The only one I don't have them get is the flu shot-I don't see the need. Like others have stated, it's hit or miss with that one.

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
ilovemybaby
Posted: Apr 4 2006, 01:01 PM
Quote Post

PREGNANT AND HORMONAL

Member No.: 2,573

We never refused any or delayed any. I never had any reactions, Abby has never had any reactions.
We didn't get Chicken Pox though because it's not free here. It's not one they routinely give. It costs $80. My dad offered to pay but I said no. I spoke with the nurse and she said it really isn't necessary.

I definitely could not refuse or delay the Meningococcal B one. That is pretty common here (a little girl got it and lost limbs because of it... lucky to even be alive... if you don't catch it very early it's basically too late).
The benefits of that outweigh any side effects IMO.

--------------------
having a baby
PMEmail Poster
ilovemybaby
Posted: Apr 4 2006, 01:02 PM
Quote Post

PREGNANT AND HORMONAL

Member No.: 2,573

The flu shot is another that we don't get here. Not free. Unless you have a medical condition or are elderly (65 and over).

--------------------
having a baby
PMEmail Poster
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Apr 4 2006, 01:28 PM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

Kait is also currently up to date I dont do the flu shot either, seems pointless IMO. Thankfully Kait never had a bad reaction to any of them, but I would have like to space them out more, now I know for the future, if needed.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0181 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]