Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How do I know its real labor`, preterm labor
beck99
  Posted: Mar 13 2005, 09:07 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,544

Hello everyone, I am 36 weeks pregnant, due April 6/05. About 3 weeks ago I started having contractions, so I went to the hospital and although I was having contractions I was no dialinting. So the hospital advised me to take it easy for the next week before I went to see my normal family doctor. During my visit the doctor said that my cirvix was thinning and that it was unusual for my duration of pregnancy. She ordered me to stay off work and take one week of bedrest. I followed the doc's orders as close as possible (bedrest is incredibly boring). During my next visit they checked me and I was 1cm dialated. She said this could mean nothing and everything, but just contiue to take it easy and see what happens. So in the last week I have been having mild contractions and shooting pains down there. Has anyone expereinced anything like this or have any advice for me. This is my first child and I wish I knew if the baby was coming early or not.
Belinda:)

--------------------
Baby Beck due April 6th, 2005
PMEmail Poster
MomToMany
Posted: Mar 14 2005, 04:22 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Hello, welcome to Parenting Club!

I don't think baby's coming quite yet. Those pains are from baby's head pressing on the nerves in that area. The contractions are Braxton Hicks, which are "practice" contractions that help get your uterus in shape for actual labor.

No one knows what causes labor to start, and no one can tell you WHEN it will start either. So, it's just the waiting game! It can drive some women batty!
Littlejojames
Posted: Mar 14 2005, 04:56 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 529

Hello there

I have been told roughly the same as you. I have been told to stay alert from now on as i have had my "Show" and i have been having braxton hicks really bad on and off for weeks. They have told me that if they start lasting longer then 30 minutes i have to go right to the hospital.

I havent had shooting pains down there they are usually above and across my bump but im always feeling very heavy down there like something is hanging really low.

Think that its just a waiting game now for most people on the bored. Im sure that we will all know when realy labor kick in (i hope happy.gif )

--------------------
Lilypie Baby Ticker

Till Jo & Craig meet Smudge XXXX
PMEmail Poster

mitchzgirl
Posted: Mar 14 2005, 05:30 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 851

I was convinced this guy was coming early because of the pains I was having...but I guess he'd rather be late dry.gif The shooting pains are because the baby is so heavy and is pushing on nerves down there. The contractions are probably just braxton hicks, but at 36 weeks that's completly normal. After I reached 36 weeks I was thrilled at any sign of imposing labor!!!(been let down every time, though sad.gif )
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
MyBlueEyedBabies
Posted: Mar 14 2005, 06:22 AM
Quote Post

Mommy's littlest man

Member No.: 828

ditto what everyone else said about what the pains are that you are having...as for *real* labor, it sounds dumb but you will know when the contractions start being *real*. I had a few knock me on my butt real painful BH before labor started (regular BH for about 16 weeks, rarely over 5 minutes apart) but when real labor starts there will be do doubt...no questioning that this is infact the real thing.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
GavinsMommy
Posted: Mar 14 2005, 06:24 AM
Quote Post

Mum to Gavin Cole

Member No.: 878

Two words...

You'll know!! rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 14 2005, 07:07 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

I agree with Mollie that those shooting pains or what I call "zingers" are the baby pressing on a nerve down there. Most likely your baby's head is engaged down and in position, which occurs early most times in first pregnancies. I'm assuming this is your first wink.gif.

I'm due April 14th, my baby has been hitting that lovely nerve for a few months now and it's not pleasant so I know. It has progressively gotten worse for me with her now in the downward position. I had some over the weekend that sent me screaming in pain and my DH and DD looking at me like I was going to go into labor right then and there. tongue.gif

Most likely your contractions are Braxton hicks like Mollie said as well. Can you explain them? That might help. I've been having sporadic REAL contractions off and on for a few weeks now but am only 75% effaced and a fingertip to 1 cm dialated.

I was dialated 1/2 a cm with my first DD so really it's normal to be dialated a bit at 36 weeks. You should be on regular weekly appointments now so they can do cervial checks and keep a close eye on you.

I didn't get to go in actual labor with my DD because I was induced but once I was induced I experienced back labor and such and I must say you will know when you are in labor. Course I still fear the unknown this time since I am not going to be induced because I feel like it's my first time too.

Hang in there, it won't be long!

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
beck99
  Posted: Mar 14 2005, 04:09 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,544

Thanks so much everyone, I was hoping someone would say, "I just went through the same thing and the baby did come early" But I guess the little one will come when its good and ready! I just have to keep my mind off of it for now and patiently await our little baby!
BB

--------------------
Baby Beck due April 6th, 2005
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0100 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]