Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Developing colic in older baby?
Cypher
Posted: Jun 15 2007, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,918

My daughter is now 3months and 1 week old. She's been a very good baby throughout. She's been bottlefed from her birth, initially with pumped BM and then starting in April with generic formula.

We started her on the generic BJ's brand formula and she had no real problem with it. She was fairly gassy on BM, but once we started her on formula, she settled down nicely. We rarely need to use gas drops anymore. She passes gas regularly (and loudly!) often.

Our issues began this past Sunday when around 7PM she started crying very loudly, turning red and absolutely scared us. We undressed her thinking she was too hot, or something was hurting her, re-dressed her and after about an hour of trying various things, she fell asleep for the night.

She doesn't sleep through the nice yet, she usually goes to bed around 7-8PM waking up around 11-12AM, and then depending on how much she drinks around 3-5AM. Once up at this time, she'd one with her sleep and wants to play.

She is perfectly fine during the day, drinking about 6 oz's, sleeping from short bursts of 30 mins to 1 hour to sometimes 3-4 hours. We don't think she is sleep-deprived.

I talked to the Ped last night and she suggested that Colic is usually something that babies get very young in their age and start to subside around 3-4 months.

Have any of your children developed colicky habits later on and how long did it last?

This sort of change is her behavior is very concerning as I don't want her to become colicky for a few months..

Any thoughts would be appreciated..
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jun 15 2007, 07:42 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

My little one had "cholic" which was really a milk sensitivity. I had problems with milk based formula making her gassy, and she would projectile vomit. I was finally able to switch her over to regular formula around 10 months. Maybe she is just developing a sensitivity? I would try a soy based formula and see if it helps.
PM
Cypher
Posted: Jun 15 2007, 07:55 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 11,918

We're indeed looking at the formula as the prime suspect right now. Initially she was have a good amount of wet-burps and some projectile spitting, but that's settled down a bit. But she passes a LOT of gas and some say that could be an indication of some sensitivity issues.

We're going to be switching over to the Nestle GoodStart formula for the next few days to see if her symptoms/behavior gets better or not. We will also try out Soy based formulas.
PMEmail Poster

Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Jun 15 2007, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

Colic is usually present in younger infants and is gone by the 4th month. To be honest, nobody knows what causes colic so it could be a number of things. I'm with Tara about the formula sensitivity. Could be teething as well. Growth spurt perhaps. Acid reflux maybe. Have you talked to the pediatrician?

Just an FYI...when switching formula, give it at LEAST a week to see any kind of change. Just a few days sometimes wont do anything. smile.gif

Both my kids had colic. Both started about 1-2 weeks after birth and both were over it by about two months (our newborn who is 2 months is just settling down now recently). We have had to have them both on Alimentum. It's hypoallergenic, but it is SO pricy. If you can do soy, I recommend that first. The generic brands make soy as well. I have yet to find a generic version of the hypoallergenic. sleep.gif

ETA: also remember that all babies usually have a fussy period, colic or no colic. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Boo&BugsMom on Jun 15 2007, 10:11 AM

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0157 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]