Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What age did you talk to your girls...
MommyToAshley
Posted: Dec 12 2010, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

about how their body will be changing? I have told Ashley that she will expect some changes... she thinks it is neat that she will have to shave her armpits...LOL. Anyways, I haven't talked to her about menstrual cycles or anything along that lines. What age did you talk to your girls? Did you approach them or wait until they asked you? Ashley just turned 8 and that seems a bit young to me, but a few of my friends have already talked to their daughters. Ashley tends to worry and dewll on stuff (wonder who she gets that from-- LOL), so I am not sure I want to have that talk too soon.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
jcc64
Posted: Dec 13 2010, 02:52 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 108

I actually just had to talk to Corey about periods, which I agree is a little early, but the subject came up. Because Corey works out on a gymnastics team with girls who are all teenagers, it was sort of unavoidable. Corey is a MAJOR hypochondriac and a world class worrier, so I had to be sure to approach it in a way that wouldn't freak her out. I kept the biology of it very basic, and focused primarily on the fact that it isn't painful and is no big deal. That was her main concern, that it wouldn't hurt, and in my case anyway, it isn't a lie to assure her that it doesn't. I think with all of these types of discussions, it's best to give as little information as they require to calm their little heads. I let her questions let me know how much or how little info to share.
Hope that helps. Can't believe we're even having to think about this.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
amymom
Posted: Dec 13 2010, 03:11 AM
Quote Post

The kids!!

Member No.: 1,308

American Girl has a book that is great for this. I highly recommend reading the book. I can't for the life of me recall the name of the book.

--------------------

Anne Marie
Mom to Billy & Mary Beth
Wife to Lee

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN

mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Dec 13 2010, 04:54 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

We've been talking about periods for at least a year and a half (O is 10). She is in combined classes with older girls and has lots of 6th grade friends so I didn't want her not to know what girls were talking about or to get her info from someone other than me. We have the opposite issue here, though. Olivia thinks it's the next great adventure and is a "bring it on" girl so I doubted the discussion would be an issue for her. She started shaving her legs in the Fall. She's had pubic hair for at least 9 months, maybe longer.

We also have the American Girl book. Very well done, BTW. O really liked it. We reference it often, in fact.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted: Dec 13 2010, 06:03 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

Mya has known for forever. She used to go into the bathroom with me all the time. She asked, I answered. It's not that big of a deal imo.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
ZandersMama
Posted: Dec 13 2010, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

Jesus answers knee mail

Member No.: 1,776

please tell her soon! it sucks to start early and not know whats happening to you

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMSN
PrairieMom
Posted: Dec 13 2010, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

My mom told me in 2nd grade. She wanted to get to me before the schools did. she just got into the biology of the thing, and just basic sex stuff. She got out my dad's college anatomy book that had pictures of what the body parts look like so I had a basic understanding of what to expect.
Girls are starting to develop earlier and earlier, I know that way back when I was young there were girls in 5th grade getting their periods, I'm sure they can start younger now. I plan on getting to Alexis when she is about 8 or so, Ben is 7 1/2 , but Joe wants to wait a while with him. I don't think there is as much urgency with boys. Although, i don't think DH had the talk until way late, like highschool , and he had already figured most of it out on his own. Not Cool IMO.
PM
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Dec 13 2010, 03:02 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 235

QUOTE (amymom @ Dec 13 2010, 05:11 AM)
American Girl has a book that is great for this. I highly recommend reading the book. I can't for the life of me recall the name of the book.

Maddie has this book. "The Care and Keeping of You." She got it last year for Christmas, although we didn't have the talk until this spring when we went to the Pure In Heart conference. I felt that was a good time. laugh.gif She took it well--thought it was gross, but that was expected! After that, they had the talk at school.

We haven't had the sex talk, yet! That's coming soon, though. ohmy.gif
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0232 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]