Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Baby wise, not a debate, just a question!
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Dec 3 2007, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,075

OK, I know VERY CONTROVERSIAL!!

Has anyone used the Baby Wise methods drawn out in the book?

How did it work for you?

If you breastfed how was your supply?

PLEASE NO FIGHTING, I know its a controversial parenting method, I just had a few questions!!

--------------------
Jessica
Wife to Salvador 12.23.05
Mommy to
Isabella 8.8.06 & Isaia 1.2.08 & Ian 8.28.09
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Dec 3 2007, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I used it, and really, really liked it. I didn't follow it strictly to the letter, you do have to insert your own common sense and knowing your child, but it was my lifesaver when I had the twins. I pumped after a few months so my supply really didn't change. You can PM me if you have any questions as you go through the book.
PMEmail Poster
Our Lil' Family
Posted: Dec 3 2007, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

We're a Who Dat family!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,459

Has anyone used the Baby Wise methods drawn out in the book?
Yes, I used it.....well I used the general idea of eat, awake, sleep schedule. I did rock him until about 2 months old though.

How did it work for you?
It worked great to get him on a schedule....he didn't sleep through the night until 5 months but he was only waking once at 10 weeks, that was fine for me!

If you breastfed how was your supply?
Didn't breastfeed long enough to answer this question.

This post has been edited by Our Lil' Family on Dec 3 2007, 07:20 PM

--------------------
Naomi, Wife to Tim & Mommy to Thomas (7) and Andrew (2)
user posted image
PM

lovemy2
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 07:34 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Dec 3 2007, 06:45 PM)
I used it, and really, really liked it. I didn't follow it strictly to the letter, you do have to insert your own common sense and knowing your child, but it was my lifesaver when I had the twins. I pumped after a few months so my supply really didn't change. You can PM me if you have any questions as you go through the book.

dito.gif except the BF part -

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

I don't really know anything about it. I would say we used something resembling attachment parenting with Corey- nursing on demand, co-sleeping, that kind of stuff, though we strayed from some of the practices associated with AP at times.
I think it's great to familiarize yourself with a wide variety of parenting philosophies, taking a little from here and a little from there, always keeping in mind the unique personality of each baby.
What works for one doesn't always work for another. And what worked in your family at one time may not work for a different pg and infancy. To me, the key is to stay flexible and not get too dogmatic or so tied into one method that you miss your baby's subtle cues.
Good luck!

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 09:48 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Dec 4 2007, 12:38 PM)
And what worked in your family at one time may not work for a different pg and infancy.

I think this is a really good point. I followed a pretty rigid schedule with Wil (my first) because that's what worked for me and my family at the time. It's what worked for him. He still needs it today. But when trying to do the same with Wesley, I took a completely different approach. We coslept at times, I nursed on demand. It's what worked for him, and life is a bit different with two. I had to wing it much more with the second for lack of time, sleep, demands from your first child, etc. I do agree that it's good to read these books, learn a variety of different approaches, and then choose what parts you want to use. GL

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

With Isabella, we were all about attachment parenting, co-sleeping, demand WHATEVER, as you can see from another post.

I personally don't agree with everything in the book, some of it is a little OFF. However, a GREAT friend of mine is doing it with her newborn and swears by it. I wanted to check it out. I know that they shy against co-sleeping BIG TIME. And that is something we plan to do with this baby as well. I understand there reasoning for it as well.

I think for being a stay at home mom it would be harsh of me to not rock my baby to sleep sometimes ... but for those that don't as my good friend WILL NOT she is going back to work, and its not fair for the baby to LOOSE that just because his mom goes back to work. So, I think some of the things in the book are great and others aren't for us!!

THANKS GUYS

--------------------
Jessica
Mommy to
PMEmail Poster
lovemy2
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

Secrets of the Baby Whisperer is a good one too....

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 10:41 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (Mommy2Isabella @ Dec 4 2007, 11:11 AM)
With Isabella, we were all about attachment parenting, co-sleeping, demand WHATEVER, as you can see from another post.

I personally don't agree with everything in the book, some of it is a little OFF. However, a GREAT friend of mine is doing it with her newborn and swears by it. I wanted to check it out. I know that they shy against co-sleeping BIG TIME. And that is something we plan to do with this baby as well. I understand there reasoning for it as well.

I think for being a stay at home mom it would be harsh of me to not rock my baby to sleep sometimes ... but for those that don't as my good friend WILL NOT she is going back to work, and its not fair for the baby to LOOSE that just because his mom goes back to work. So, I think some of the things in the book are great and others aren't for us!!

THANKS GUYS

I agree the book is rigid when it comes to those things, I did rock mine, just not as a way to get them to sleep. If they fell asleep while doing it, that was fine, I just didn't want it to be the ONLY way to get them to sleep, kwim? I think there are some misconceptions that parents who use the book and others similar to it don't rock, snuggle and love on their babies sleep.gif
I didn't follow it to the letter, just used the basic principles, and had fabulous results anyway wink.gif I also liked the next book, Toddlerwise.

This post has been edited by luvmykids on Dec 4 2007, 10:44 AM
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 11:16 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

A friend of mine used Baby Wise to the tee with all 3 of her kids, and she swears by it. Never used it myself, but both boys were always put on a schedule early on, so we used something similar, just not rigid like the book. I am a firm believer in schedules, it creates less problems in the long run. Kids need schedules, and parents need their kids to have schedules. laugh.gif In the beginning, they were given things when they wanted them (napped and eating, etc.), they were newborns afterall. wink.gif Newborns should get things on demand, IMO. But, right around 3-4 months we put them both on a schedule.

This post has been edited by Boo&BugsMom on Dec 4 2007, 11:18 AM

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
luvbug00
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 11:33 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

what is it..???? this baby wise thing??

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 11:36 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Nadia, it's pretty much a book that explains how to put your baby on a schedule from birth. I"ll try to dig up a website link. Some things I could never do, but the book's premise is initially good, just too rigid for some people's taste.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Like I said, some things in the book are great. I NOW SEE that Kids need schedules Bella is a different girl the past day ... smile.gif I already LOVE a schedule, and I NOW KNOW that Isaia will be on schedule too.

My friend won't rock her baby to sleep because she doesn't want him to get used to it and its hard for her to do ... but I understand where she is coming from. However for me, I don't think that should be the ONLY way to get them to sleep.

I know in the book that they say you shouldn't put them to sleep with music everynight or it is the only way they can get to sleep, I just feel bad leaving her in a dark quiet room sometimes ... sad.gif ...

But it is a VERY rigid take on parenting in my opinion. I agree with SOME of it, but I know PERSONALLY I couldn't follow it to a tee!!!

--------------------
Jessica
Mommy to
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

http://www.ezzotruth.com/

Here is the website of the family who wrote the book, the Ezzo's. They talk about it extensively on it. For every site that praises it, there are that many sites that are against it as well. It's a matter of opinion really, like anything else. I like the basis of it. It's probably the exact opposite to AP as you can get. I'm somewhere in the middle.

--------------------
PM

luvbug00
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

Thanks for the link smile.gif I think it sounds a bit too much for me but i also agree with some parts.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
amybtvco
Posted: Dec 6 2007, 01:00 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 18,021

I used some of the techniques (the eat, play, sleep cycle) and it didn't have any impact on breastfeeding and my milk supply. A friend of mine who recommended this way of parenting followed it very closely and she swears by it. She had her kids sleeping through the night within the first 12 weeks. I wasn't quite so lucky...
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Dec 6 2007, 04:18 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

I don't know much about baby wise, but i am sure if it is a rigid schedule etc that I would be all about it -

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0161 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]